Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Best Medical Alert System?

Hi,

My wife is often alone at home, while I am out of the house. She has already had one fall, and is fearful of another. Doesn't like when I leave her alone for too long. Her fear is causing some issues for us.

I am considering getting her a medial alert system, so if she falls she can press the button for help. There are so many companies and type of systems available, having trouble sorting through the clutter. I'm leaning towards a company called Medical Guardian. Anyone have experience with them or have a different recommendation?

AARP Expert

@MarcF952152 Hi!  I wrote this article for AARP.org and I outlined all of the various options (there are so many it's hard to choose!) to help people choose medical alert systems - I hope it will be helpful to you! Just click on the link below  - and let me know if you have any questions! 

How To Choose a Medical Alert System 

Take care,
Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thanks Amy!

AARP Expert

@MarcF952152 My pleasure! 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@MarcF952152wrote:

Hi,

My wife is often alone at home, while I am out of the house. She has already had one fall, and is fearful of another. Doesn't like when I leave her alone for too long. Her fear is causing some issues for us.

I am considering getting her a medial alert system, so if she falls she can press the button for help. There are so many companies and type of systems available, having trouble sorting through the clutter. I'm leaning towards a company called Medical Guardian. Anyone have experience with them or have a different recommendation?

You're so right, there are many brands to choose from, and different systems. One of them even has an alarm that theoretically detects when someone falls: it's activated then.  

What i would do is call your local area agency on aging and ask their opinion. You can find that agency by entering your zip code into www.eldercare.gov. They might have a list of med alert systems. They probably can't endorse one but hopefully could give you two or three to consider. 

Some hospitals have systems that link up to their services. If there is a hospital that you use, you could search their web site or call the social services/ care management department and ask their opinion. Might be a good idea to hook into a local system.

Wish it was easier to check into each one.

Good luck,

Jane

Periodic Contributor

Thanks Jane! That's really helpful. I also found this list of medical alert companies. I noticed LifeLine is listed, which is also used/recommended by my local hospital - except it looks like it was cheaper to go direct.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP