Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Are Walk-In Tubs Worth It?

I'm considering getting a walk-in tub, but I was kind of shocked by the prices - some cost over $12,000! Anyone have one? Do you like it? Any issues with sitting in the tub while you wait for it to fill or drain? I've been looking at tub brands here (https://www.seniorsafetyreviews.com/best-walk-in-tub-reviews-comparison-2018/) are there other ones I should be considering. I've also found the sales people and tactics very aggressive.
Contributor

Walk In Tubs can be a great choice if you choose the right brand. The downside is that most of them sell it as a "Package" which requires you to spend $20,000+ for the Tub & Install. Only company I know that does not require this is Ella's Bubbles

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

When i saw the title of your post, I was hoping that someone who has a walk-in tub would share their experience... alas. We've thought of getting one, too, and thought of it as a kind of hot tub in addition to bathing. My partner lived in Japan for many years and really enjoys a bath. But, like you, the cost is prohibitive. 

One thing we ARE going to invest in is a bidet, the kind with warm water. There were stories about it in the news in response to the hoarding of toilet paper. I've been intrigued with them ever since i visited a rich uncle and he had one. I truly think that a lot of caregiving issues would be resolved or made simpler by having one. If the care recipient can't wipe themselves after voiding, either they or their care giver can push a button for warm water, then another for warm air and voila, nobody had to wipe a poopy bum. 

My 2 cents. That and $3.50 will buy you a latte.

Did you ever make a decision about it?

BTW, there is a wonderful (and far more active) community of caregivers on the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aarpfamilycaregivers/.  Maybe someone there has purchased a walk in tub... i'm going to have to start playing the lottery so i can get one...

Jane, hoping for a bidet

I have a walk in tub/shower that we had removed from our home when we purchased it.

It is sitting in my garage (Maricopa AZ).   I have all the pieces that go with it.  I am hoping to find someone that has a need and can use it.walkin 2.jpg

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP