Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

ASSISTED LIVING

My name is Lon and I am a 83 year old well traveled single male living alone in a one bed room/ one bath/living room/ kitchenette at a very nice Assisted Living Facility. Imade the arrangements for living here by my self instead of a Caretaker doing it. I would like to share some ideas with caretakers and other Forum members that currently reside in a AL Facility. First---Let me just say to those of you in your 50's 60's & 70's. KEEP AND EXPAND YOUR COMPUTER, I PHONE SKILLS. It will make getting old so much eaiser and rewarding.

Lon
Kudos
Views
Replies
Periodic Contributor

We have a college student volunteer at our town senior center. Libraries are helpful. I was amazed a woman has an App for her iphone which talks what she types.  This could be useful to many people who may have Parkinson's, cancer, ALS, etc. There's an app to help with tinnitus. I helped someone with relaxation app to help her sleep. My husband is not tech savvy and I tell him just keep trying things out. Eventually you can figure it out. I wasn't born knowing how to use cellphone, computer etc. Sometimes people mess things up they can't fix, like changing tv input or setting on phone which reads everything out loud. Then you need someone who has a clue what to do. It might be they read the directions. That often helps but people think the information just jumps in their head.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi, I am Barbara, a 62 year old female.  I live in an apartment building that is not advertised as an assited living but we do have a nursing office on site and receive some in home care like housekeeping, laundry, some cooking, etc.  I want to second that!  There are several people in my apartment building age 50 and over that want to get a class  going that would bring them up to date on using the computer, social media, and how to use their smart phone.  I am pretty computer literate and am able to navigate my phone pretty good but I am sure there are things that I could also learn since us baby boomers did not grow up in the era of computers and smart phones like kids today are.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert

Hi Barbara:  What a fantastic idea to get a class going.  Is there a service in your area that does on-site trainings?  Perhaps there is a student or young professional out there who could benefit from a little extra income and could facilitate it.  My city's senior center (the Sunshine Center in St. Pete) has some tech training classes as well, so that may be an option in your area.  Here's to always learning! 

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorneyโ€‘client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorneyโ€‘toโ€‘client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hi Lon:  Thank you so much for your post.  Would you mind talking about how you stay up-to-date and competent with new technologies (for example: are you self-taught or have you had any training)?  It all advances so quickly and it takes me a few years to catch up to what is available on the market.   

I will share that one of our local colleges offers a mentor-up program that has the college students working hands-on with older adults to demonstrate the capabilities of smart phones and computers.  Pretty cool.

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorneyโ€‘client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorneyโ€‘toโ€‘client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi, I am sorry to respond on someone else's post, but I was hoping someone could help me post my own message.  I only saw where to post replies, but not to start a new message.  Thank you.

Erin
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@e399438h , You can start a new topic from the main Caregiving forum.  Hereโ€™s the link >> https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/bd-p/bf41.  Itโ€™s found in the upper left of the page (click the picture below to zoom in)

Caregiving Start a Conversation.png

You can also click this link and it will take you directly to the area as if you would have clicked the start a topic option >> https://community.aarp.org/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/bf41.

I hope this helps.

Sandy

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Self Taught with occasional help from IT trained grandson.
Lon
AARP Expert

Have you embraced any of the newer technologies, like Google Home or the Amazon Echo Dot/Spot?  I just read this article about how AI technology is helping and will help people age in place longer. 

https://www.nextavenue.org/artificial-intelligence-live-home/

Amanda Singleton
Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

I started using a computer as a Sales Manager in the Financial Services arena in 1972 and have gradually keep up with the new technology on my own. I have been retired for 26 years and use Uber, Amazon Prime to maintain my degree of independence.
Lon
0 Kudos
Contributor

Could you afford assisted living or... how did you get in a place? My mother has limited income and canโ€™t pay the whole amount. I donโ€™t know where to start. She insists on staying in a house, (that I own) but has limited mobility and increasingly falling. I live 2.5 hrs away.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@chrisarndt58 wrote:

Could you afford assisted living or... how did you get in a place? My mother has limited income and canโ€™t pay the whole amount. I donโ€™t know where to start. She insists on staying in a house, (that I own) but has limited mobility and increasingly falling. I live 2.5 hrs away.

Hi Chris,

Most places have subsidized senior housing with loooooooooooong waiting lists. Once she gets in, she only has to pay 1/3 of her income on rent. I knew a guy who got a tiny bit of social security, 600/ month, and he lived in a lovely efficiency for 200/month. 

If she's falling, have you 'fall-proofed' her home? Gotten rid of throw rugs, bought a walker (there are many for free at thrift stores), etc. Has she been to her doctor to find out why she's falling? Does she need home physical therapy or outpatient PT to strengthen and improve her balance? Is she on too many meds? 

Check out the agency that serves her area at www.eldercare.gov and type in her zip code. then the next time you're visiting make an appointment to see the intake worker or the care manager. find out what is free, what is subsidized and low cost. 

Enlist your siblings. 

Speak to an elderlaw attorney about what she is eligible for. At some point she may need medicaid, and that process can be arduous but the more you know about what you and your mom are facing, the less insane the process. 

I'm throwing a lot of stuff at you. Please write some more? What questions do you have? What is the most urgent need right now?  Oh and does she wear one of those life alert buttons?

Please keep posting...

Jane

Regular Contributor

Yes I can afford the $5,000 monthly fee. My pensions and assets are sufficient to maintain this mode of living plus I have a LONG TERM CARE POLICY WHEN AND IF NEEDED. Daughter, adult grand children and five greats live within 20 minutes of me.
Lon
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP