Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 71 of 1,088

HI,

I take care of my mom.  She has dementia.  I feel overwhelmed at times, so I have to take things day to day minute by minute. I wish we had more family that lived nearer to us.  It has been particularly difficult because of all her hospital stays.  It seems she has been there more than she has been home in the past 10 weeks.  The hospital staff knows us.  I do want to mention that since I took my mom off of all the medications her neurologist prescribed for her, she has been so much better.  She was hallucinating on and more forgetful and falling into delirium.  I thought how fast does this disease take over?  I never thought that is was the medication causing so many problems.  My best suggestion for anyone in this situation is to be extra careful with the meds your doctor prescribes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 1,088

Hiymy name is pauline hill im a caregiver for elderly i wish i could have s vacation have not had one in 5 yrs. Im on a fix income

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 1,088

it was a cold night and the best day of my life

@AARPTeri wrote:

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 1,088

Hi, my name is Christie. I had to quit my job three years ago in order to provide care to my husband. He had a life-threatening illness. After being discharged from the nursing home, he was not able to safely probide his own care (forgot meds, fell to floor and forgot how to get up). He had been working full time as a high school teacher on a Friday and was almost dead on the following Monday. 

I have been going to school for a Masters Degree in Nursing Education while taking care of him. He has had two more heart attacks in the past two years that have weakened him further. (He is younger than me.)

I can't really get away from caring for him, but my homework helps. We did take a two day trip this year to attend the Highland Festival in Flagstaff, AZ. I am the Deputy Commissioner, Greater Phoenix Area for ClanRoss America. As such I represent my Clan at Highland events throughout Arizona. It is fun to get out there in my kilt and dance to the bagpipes. At least, at these events, we fit right in!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 1,088

I take care of my grandson who has Autism, ADHD and Anxiety Disorder.  We love to take him for ice cream and he loves to play miniature golf so we do that also.  He is a very loveable child so it is no problem for us to watch him.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 1,088

Caregiving an aging parent can be a great learning experience, and quite humbling. My mother has always been reluctant to use public restrooms, almost to the point of phobia. This can serve as a barrier to traveling, and seemed to be keeping her from attending important family events that required traveling. I was very irritated, until I realized that her reasons, now, were no longer just the old dislike of public restrooms, which could be overcome by the importance of the events. She is afraid of falling, and once my sister and I figured that out and assured her that we'd help her, life has been a lot more enriching. I wish I'd understood earlier, instead of being irritated by incorrect assumptions.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 1,088

We've had to be very careful with where we take my mom. In addition to accessibility, there's the question of what happens if she gets sick. Staying within the US or Canada is key, as is figuring out if she will enjoy the vacation and the travel to get there. Road trips are a bit easier because we can stop whenever we want.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 1,088

Summertime means taking a break from work and stress in order to spend time with love ones. It doesn't matter if you guys are at a beach or staying in watching movies at home. It is the time spent together and memories that make summertime special. I do not qualify for the sweepstakes, but I want to share my story. My mother is ill with diabetes. She loves to do Zumba as a way to exercise and stay healthy. I join her, as much as I hate cardio, but it makes her happy. I love seeeing my mother happy, especially when I am partaking in her happiness. We may not be at a beach together, but we are exercising together and staying healthy. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Online Community Caregiving Summer Travel Contest 2018

Message 79 of 1,088

There have been many challenges.  My husband had a stroke and we continued to vacation the best we could based on his limitations due to his stroke.  We planned ahead to ensure we had an assessible hotel room.  However, one still has to plan by taking other familiar items you utilize at home (i.e., a raised commode seat, mobile chair, brace for leg, etc.).   So, we are on our way to Jacksonville, FL for a book signing and reunion.  After we passed Tallahassee, FL I noticed something blew off the back of the car.  I pulled over and found that the car tag had gone airborne.  We knew there would be problems checking-in and parking at various places since we had a handicapped tag.  We contacted the State Trooper's Office and he gave us a case number, etc. to show if we needed it.  We continued our vacation and later laughed about the incident.  We never received a call that the tag was located.  So, remember to check the screws in your tag if you are planning to take a vacation before getting on the road!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 1,088

It's important to take care of loved ones and give them strength when they need it

Kudos
Views