Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

If it were to happen, I would help my children and grandchilden. Help pay off student loans and set up college funds and I would make sure that my own furbabies were taken care along with donating some to our local animal shelter as well. Maybe a vacation for me.   

0 Kudos

Being currently unemployed, too many things to mention. Hopefully I could apply a few $ to market my writings.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take a 'time-out' from life's work and treat my family (spouse & spec needs child) for a cruise to the carribean and/or cross country trip to west coast to CALI.  ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos

I would pay off some of my bills and get a new car.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would put some away for our continued retirement, give some to our children and give some to charity.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my credit card debt; but more importantly, I would pay off my daughter's student loan. My husband and I have twin daughters; we footed the bill for one on the undergraduate level. The other one had a full scholarship (which was greatly appreciated.) They both obtained student loans for post graduates degrees. The younger one's husband paid off her loan. The older twin is not married and has no one to help her make payments. Therefore,  my windfall would go to paying off her student laon.

0 Kudos

I would buy health insurance
0 Kudos

Pay All My Debts. Do some repairs on my house.

0 Kudos

I would pay off the car I co-signed for to help a former student from a family who has never had a bank account or any credit. Then she'll have credit and be better able to escape poverty.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Oh Wow,    Visit my 94 yr mum In Scotland,  give to the American heart , and put away for retirement.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 64 and currently have no debt.  I get social security and I have a part-time job.  I have some savings but probably not enough, especially if I should develop health problems, so I would put most of the money in a very conservative investment.  I would also like to give each of my children some money for one of them to use to pay off a student loan and the other toward a home mortgage and lastly to have a nice vacation or two (or three).

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would purchase a motor home and drive across country with my adult kids.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I just realized that one of the AARP representatives created a very similar topic just about a year ago .. "What would you do if you won $50K?".

What do you do with all of our posts .. look at them statistically, to include in an article about our values? Create these topics just to give people something to think about, and be upbeat about every spring? Nothing?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos

I would travel the U.S.A. before my kidneys fail ,and I am dependent on dialysis.That is my bucket list. God gave us such a beautiful place to live and explore,my desire has never been for material things, just to create memories I can take with me to the great beyond.I am at stage 4,and pray for more time to experience life before stage 5-and cannot see much pleasure after that occurs.

0 Kudos

First I would see that my family and I are taken care of and I would see to it personally that the homeless, feed the hunger programs, NAACP, animal shelters, St Matthew church, the Catholic churches, any organizations that represents or supports the work of God, the poor people. I would not sit still, I would do my best to travel around the city and hand deliver money, food and clothes to the people who are in need. I would do it in a Godly manner and be proud to make the people smile but most of all I want to make Jesus Christ my savior proud of me. This is a promise I will keep if and when I get into a windfall. God bless, in God we trust amen.

I would stop the foreclosure on our home before we have to live on the street
0 Kudos

Give some to www.straydog.org, a no-kill shelter in north Texas, give some to one of my daughters who has an autistic son so she can purchase a house and adopt a child, save the rest.

Contributor

Help people that need the help and I like to feed cats and dogs that are homeless

0 Kudos

i would go visit my grandkids in Hawaii and do the repairs to my house that I have not been able to afford for so long and then i would go on a cruise to Alaska and take my baby sister with me
0 Kudos

Pay off all my bills; have my 11 year old car repaired; take my wonderful friends and family to a great restaurant!!

0 Kudos

i would go visit my grandchildren in Hawaii and I would repair my house like the roof and ceilings that i don't have the money to do now and that is why I stay sick all the time
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my house.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my school loans!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay my car and credit card off and finally be debt free. I'd then concentrate on saving for retirement so I don't have to work til I'm 100!
0 Kudos

I have 5 grands give to them for school

0 Kudos

I would pay off my mortgage and with having the extra money available I would help my brother and his wife , who was just diagnosed with cervical cancer she has to have chemo and radiation , my brother is quitting his job to take care of her.,. They could use the help , money wise and other ways too, it would bless them sooo much !!!
0 Kudos

I would pay some bills and get me a car. Give my church also. And most of all I have three favor charities that I will give too
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off our house and house taxes that we are 2 yrs behind on, pay off all my bills which are very high right now cause we are behind on those too, good thing they can't shut us off cause I am disabled. Except the water dept don't care...got shut off last week for a wk and a half til we could get enough money to turn it back on, plus they topped the bill with a reconnect fee of $175 which I can't believe they could do that to someone who is having a hard time paying it to begin with.  It would be so nice to be caught up on all my bills. Also I owe 500 in car excise taxes to get my license back. And everything in my  house is broken it would be nice to fix everything and get a new washer and dryer cause my dryer kicked the bucket, so did my grill, pool filter and pump, and my glass table on my deck shattered during a bad storm we had 2 yrs ago. Just so sick of everything going wrong but I try to stay optimistic about things cause it could be a lot worse....have to take things into perspective.

0 Kudos

i would donate to the local humane society and library, assist my son with his growing crystal and event company, build a pool on my property, buy a new vehicle to tow my horse and trailer, take a cruise, retire from nursing, buy a gift card for everyone at work, build a dressage ring on the farm where my horse is boarded, travel to europe, italy, the spanish riding school, vienna, paris, versailles, rome, greece, buy an upper level dressage horse, buy a farm with a pond and become as self sufficient as possible.travel the u.s. and native american indian reservations and donate either my time and/or money to educate. i am a teacher at heart.

suzanne

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP