Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Struggling with Escalating Rent

Message 21 of 31

Bee Rambles where in Florida do you live? I am in Tampa. It would be wonderful if there were some sort of group that matched comparable people to be housemates. I think it could help some of us who can’t afford to find places to live. We have lots of senior housing here but it is all full with long waiting lists. The same was true in NC where I was living before I came to Florida.

Robbi

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 31

Robbi 75,

My sympathies for your plights. 

I live in Jacksonville, Florida and am hoping to find someone willing and able to sign a lease on an apartment with me.  That is why I gave myself a year to find someone and get to know them before taking such a big step. 

I hope by sharing your situation here you find someone suitable to split expenses with as well. 

Thank you for replying.   

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 31

Sorry to go off-topic. But the story in this post really upsets me (sorry, ma'am!)

I have heard of this sort of situation before and I just don't understand it!

How can a loving husband not take care of things, and make arrangements, for when his beloved spouse is a widow? How can these guys live for today and not give a thought to the security of their loved ones? I'm sure there are many possible reasons ranging along the spectrum of irresponsibility or uncaring ...ranging from cluelessness at the low end (highly irresponsibility but perhaps not too uncaring) on up to knowing what's up and just being uncaring and selfish.

Oh, this makes me so upset!

@Robbi75 wrote:

...I too am retired, older (82), and with limited income, even though I worked 55 years as an RN, BSN, and was Certified with ANCC. My husband was a retired USAF officer who for unknown reasons did not leave me Survivor Benefits that I did not learn about until after he died. He had no life insurance (I was not aware of that either). He left me in a fix. ...

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 31

Same thing happened to a friend of mine many years ago.  Her husband suffered a recoverable stroke & then a massive one.  When he died, she was left to pick up the pieces, putting his Medicare balances & funeral expenses on credit cards when then, in turn, led to bankruptcy.  He had not a dime of life insurance.  When I asked, she just shrugged: "Just goes to show much how much he really cared about me."  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 31

Same struggle here in Buffalo, NY. I am on a fixed income and the waiting lists for affordable housing are five plus years. Rents are almost as much as my income. I have lived in the same apartment for twenty years. But the place is declining and last night I found my water has been shut off! She hasn’t paid it since December! I don’t know what to do. I turn her in I risk losing my space.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 31

Water is a basic utility.  Report her.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 31

Well, I must have faith and hope for the best.

I called the Health Department and Neighborhood Legal Services today. She was not responding to my texts...I AM DONE!!

I also told them about the squirrels in the attic and rats in the basement. This place will be condemned and I have no where to go. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 31

Neighborhood Legal Services may also be able to assist you with housing.  Ask them.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 31
I agree. I've been researching apartments in Jacksonville, FL only to be shocked by the rental prices. If the rent is HUD based due to retirement income at a certain level each month, those places were mostly full with long waiting list. I'm still looking though.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 31

In my friend's case, her late husband turned out to be an abusive batterer.  When all was said and done, and after she filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, she dumped/trashed/sold whatever belongings he'd left behind.  They'd had a small celeb photography business, the contents of which she was later able to sell, leaving her with a little bit of monies but not much.  Not enough for long-term survival.  It boggles the mind, even now, all of these years later, that he left her in ruins.  

Kudos
Views