Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Have you figured out a way to save more?

Retired Community Manager

Have you figured out a way to save more?

One of AARP's most popular annual series, 99 Ways to Save, offers a treasure trove of savings tips.

Have you figured out a way to save more? What’s working for you? Share your tips in a reply post!

Contributor

"Waste not, want not" Cooking:

. I cook in large batches and freeze meals in small containers, saving time and money.

. All leftover vegetables go into a "soup bag" in the freezer.  I add the contents to my next pot of soup.

. Slow cooker uses less expensive beef cuts and tastes great.

. Excess fruit goes into the freezer for smoothies or cobblers.

Bottom line, I don't throw away food.

Periodic Contributor

After my husband died, I realized that I could flip the sheets around on the king bed so the clean half is on my side. Now I wash them half as often. 

Other things I've changed to save money:

1.Canceled the cable. I use an antenna with a Tablo device to record live TV. There are more free antenna channels than you realize. My local PBS has 4 channels OTA, but the cable only had 1 channel. 

2. I use free trials of streaming services to watch content that interests me, then cancel it at the end of the free trial. 

3. PBS app lets you stream recent shows for free. If you get PBS passport (minimum monthly donation of $5/month), it gives access to past seasons of PBS shows. There are other apps that have huge amounts of free content: Tubi, Pluto, Youtube, Peacock, Crackle. Different areas of the US have additional choices that I don't have.

4. Don't drink soda

5. Buy lemons on sale, juice them, and freeze in batches of the volume of juice needed for a pitcher of lemonade. 

6. Buy freezer containers made for freezing meals. Cook once and freeze leftovers like TV dinners. My microwave has a "frozen entree" button that reheats the meals perfectly. 

7. Many Public Libraries provide free online access to e-books, magazines, audiobooks, streaming movies, digital music.... Reading on my iPad allows me to increase the font size, plus I don't have to go to the library. 

8. Choose a credit card that offers cash back. I have one that I can use the cash back to pay part of the balance. I have an Amazon card that lets me use 'points' earned with previous purchases to decrease the price of future purchases. 

Yes!  Spend less.

Periodic Contributor

I am trying to follow a basic savings strategy. I have a budget where I try to buy only what I need for groceries by making a list, clipping coupons, looking for weekly sales online or in circulars, and buying store brand products instead of the popular brands which tend to cost more. I take out a certain amount of cash each week and try to spend only that amount. I have only one credit card and keep track of what I spend for the month so I do not spend what I cannot afford and can pay back in full for that month whatever I buy on credit.  I try not to follow the trends, the "latest and greatest" gadgets, or what's in fashion or popular. I am always looking for bargains, discounts and sales whenever I spend money. It takes self-discipline but it seems to work for me.

Contributor

When shopping or thinking of shopping remember that there are things you need and things you want.  While it is ok to treat yourself to "wants" sometimes and when there is money to spare, it is important to carefully consider those purchases and how much joy they will really bring you.  We all have so much stuff that we should clear out.  Is this going to be something we will put in the junk pile next year?

Just spend less.

Contributor

I manage to save money by creating a master grocery shopping list.  A friend suggested this to me and it works!  When items run low, I just highlight the item on my list and purchase those items before adding any extras to the cart.  I also identified a grocery shopping list app on my cell phone which I use when I do not want to deal with paper.

I like that idea!  I can't tell you how many times I have bought something I already had at home, or didn't buy something I was short of.  I like the idea of keeping the list on your cell phone.  That way it's always available.

Hi @JacindaH303869, thanks for your post! I know exactly what you're talking about with having a master grocery shopping list. We call that our "par list" and, I agree, it works quite well having that list of things you rely on most. The shopping list app also is a great suggestion! I'll have to try that.

Contributor

If you shop on Amazon, please sign up for amazon prime!!!, you can look for the same items used (simply returned or unrecognizable slight damage) for 10%, 50% or 75% off!!!

It's like shopping at an exclusive thrift store, but you can return the product if you don't like it, too!!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

I put all my unspent gas money in savings. We are barely driving due to COVID and are still working at home. 

Bronze Conversationalist

That's a really great idea, Manic!  👌

Kudos
Views

@ManicProgressive, that's a clever way to save, good one! This reminds me, I understand some insurance companies provided rebates (or reduced premiums) to drivers during COVID. Another good source of savings.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP