Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Haggle Like a Pro With These Tips

It never hurts to ask! Oftentimes, prices aren’t set in stone, but you’ll need to start a conversation. Use these tips to learn how to haggle like a pro — even if you hate it.

Have you ever secured a discount this way?

Regular Contributor

Asked for & received a discount on my expensive car repairs last month.  Absolutely never hurts to ask!  

Contributor

Hey, AARP, you're right, it never hurts to ask, so can you give me a better price than $16 on my membership renewal? I do not want to sign up for automatic renewal and have considered signing up for multiple years to save a little, but would prefer to spend less for a one year renewal. 

Regular Contributor

Got a discounted deal at a supermarket this weekend, just by asking.

Periodic Contributor

I’m sorry, but this topic of haggling makes me uncomfortable. I’ve owned two independent stores for a total of about 30 years; both were small galleries specializing in handcrafted goods.

I cringe that it’s become more common for people to expect to haggle at *all* businesses. I feel I should point out that an exception must be made with small, independent stores, yet alone ones that feature handcrafted items.

Unfortunately, stores like mine carried very narrow margins. I didn’t order things from reps nor from large corporations with warehouses of inventory. And I definitely didn’t order cheaply made goods from China. I ordered high quality, unique products directly from the American artists/crafts people who made each item to order, aka from scratch. 

Being married to one, I can also attest to the fact that he too carries very narrow margins! He does his best to avoid annual price increases so he will receive more & larger orders from his retailers. But this often means ordering up to two years of expensive raw goods in order to get the best prices from those suppliers, and he carries these costs on his books for a long time before his invoices are ultimately paid.

Bottom line: It’s almost always difficult for these stores to give discounts, unless it’s free shipping for a phone or web order, or if the item is drop shipped to the customer’s gift recipient. Shipping is a different budget line item, not tied to the product’s price.

Please don’t assume that all stores, businesses and organizations are created with the same business model.

If I’m not pushing my luck any further (!), please support your local small businesses. The Amazons of the world have done huge damage to too many mom & pop stores, and therefore, local economies. ☹️ 

Thanks for your understanding & sorry to “preach”!

Contributor

I generally don't haggle in stores. I usually shop sales. I will sometimes haggle at flea markets or garage sales. If it is for a non profit cause like a church or animal rescue I will not ask to reduce the price. I see many people do it and I don't think it is fair. I have often given a few dollars over what I am buying to go to the charity. 

I have never felt comfortable asking for discounts in a store. Many of these places have overhead and employees to pay. If it is something I feel is worth it great, but if it is more than I am willing to pay then I move on. 

Super Contributor

@suzknits wrote:

I cringe that it’s become more common for people to expect to haggle at *all* businesses. I feel I should point out that an exception must be made with small, independent stores, yet alone ones that feature handcrafted items.

I totally respect your decision to not want to haggle with your customers.  I often shop at one particular small business that displays a sign that says "Please do not ask for a discount" then goes on to explain why.  That's fine.  Other stores may feel differently.  It never hurts to ask if that's the best price, and if the answer is yes, I understand that as well.  Unfortunately, I'm guessing too many people treat small businesses like flea markets or yard sales!  Good luck to you and your husband!

Periodic Contributor

Thanks SO much!

Suzanne

Social Butterfly

Last time I bought a new car, I had made my final offer and was turned down so I got up and started out to my car to leave and the sales manager ran after me and said he had changed his mind and wound up giving me a better deal then I had even asked for!  

Trusted Contributor

I recntly went to a franchised retail outlet to get something. I dodn't want to pay for the overpriced item, so I went to the manager (a dumb kid younger than my stepson) and said :I can get this same item somewhere else for less!" Then the **bleep** replied "So get it somewhere else!"I didn't but the thing there since there was no "somewhere else"!

-Bah!

Bronze Conversationalist

It never hurts to ask for a discount or something free no matter where you are.  The other day the local fish taco restaurant offered a free insulated lunch bag with their online coupon and a purchase (any purchase.).  Despite my advanced age, I ordered a "kid's meal" which came with a small all-you-can-drink soft drink.  I asked for a senior discount, but they don't offer one.  However, the clerk upgraded my drink to the largest soft drink cup available, plus gave me the free lunch bag (I had the coupon), and said "be sure to visit us again soon".  I will! 

Retired Community Manager

Way to go, @nctarheel!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPLynne wrote:

Have you ever secured a discount this way?

How about $31 for five years of AARP membership rather than the $16 year they advertise so strongly? Or even the $49 for five years they advertise even stronger?

I got $31 for the next five years and I got $31 for the last five years.

I, in fact, haggle any subscription price as originally proposed and usually save upwards of 50% or more.

This includes XM radio, my local newspaper, Time magazine ($30 for three years of a weekly magazine, folks or about 19 cents a week), and my cable/Internet.

Even retail stores and sometimes your local grocery store (for example, if out of a product, many stores will give you a more expensive competitor's product at the same price as the out of stock product.... sometimes they'll give you the next larger size, again, at the price of the out of stock product) is open to haggling.

Super Contributor

How about $31 for five years of AARP membership rather than the $16 year they advertise so strongly? Or even the $49 for five years they advertise even stronger?

I get my AARP membership for FREE every year through Walgreen's annual promo, usually in August.  You usually need to buy $20 worth of Walgreen's health and wellness products to qualify, send in the special receipt you get with purchase, and you'll get a free 1 year AARP membership (or 1 year renewal).  Check it out - I usually buy vitamins and Tylenol, etc to qualify.  It's a great program.  Thanks, AARP and Walgreen's!

Regular Contributor

I also receive mine free through AOL.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP