Honored Social Butterfly

Are You Still Using Personal Checks ???

Just wondering - if people here are still using personal checks or if you are using other banking  technology to pay your bills. 

Seems the dangers of using personal checks are becoming bigger everyday.

My mother is totally non-electronic (no cell phone, no computer, zip).  I give her money every two weeks and it’s easier yo just give her a paper check.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I pay all my bills by check in the mail. My vehicle mechanic charges less if you don't use a card. I do use a card for gas and groceries or on line purchases.. I like to see things written out and keep good records and keep my checkbook balanced.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes - sometimes. But I also pay some bills directly from my bank account and I charge some bills. It all depends which way is best for me. I get 2% back when I use my charge card and sometimes the fee charged by utilities is quite a bit more than a stamp. Also, when I make a donation, I don't want a fee for my donation going to a GoFundMe account or PayPal - I want the whole donation going to the non-profit.

0 Kudos

Absolutely yes, for any payment for which I need permanent proof of payment. I photocopy the check before dispatching it, and the image of the check in the paper bank statement proves that it was cashed. And yes, I pay to get paper bank statements. Paper records can't be lost by a system crashing or becoming obsolete, or hacked. Obsolete? 30 years ago I could write programs in 7 different languages. COBOL may still be used in an ancient system but I doubt that the other 6 are even remembered. Finally, the only reason we have our history before the computer age is that people wrote the record of events on PAPER.

Contributor

Yes,  I do. I use mine mostly at church. I like putting something in the plate besides money. Otherwise, I usually use a card. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do use them for places that I trust. 

0 Kudos

I use checks only when there is no other way to make payment.  I'm a retired banker.  I use cash only when there is no other way of making payment.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Your first sentence contradict with second sentence and they both can not have same meaning. For example lots places take checks and cash.

0 Kudos
Contributor

City hall does not take online payment or credit card. so have to pay property taxes and many other things still with the checks.  Motor Vehicle also same way in local offices.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I only use a paper check for church tithes and offerings or when I need to pay a friend for something. Other than that, it’s either bill pay through my bank or  a debit card on a secure site. When I want an extra layer of security for a site or to pay for a service, I use an online payment app such as PayPal or Venmo. Wherever direct deposit is available, like for my paycheck or tax refunds, I use that, too. 

I am extremely vigilant over all my accounts, checking them at least daily. I was always that way, but a couple of notifications over the years that I was among those compromised in a data breach has me checking my credit report on a regular basis as well. You can’t be too careful!

Periodic Contributor

I am still using Personal Checks to pay my Tithes and Offerings for church). I periodically send my parents (93 & 89) a check.  I've tried helping my parents sent up onliine payments, however my Dad (93) prefers getting his bills in the mail and personally write out his check. They do not utilize technology, even though they have I-Pads.  I also pay my gardener by check. In the past year, I've had 3 small independent contractors (1 or 2 man operations) and they preferred check payments. For my college aged nephews, I purchase prepaid Credit Cards, rather than sending cash or checks. I'm always checking my bank accounts daily. If I see something untoward, I will immediately contact the bank and have it resolved. I also have put in safeguards, i.e. Freezing my credit and Identity Alerts. To unfreeze for large purchases such as a car, I will contact the credit agency, unfreeze for 1 day or for 1 merchant, by name (car dealership) and after the purchase is approved, immediately place the freeze back on. If I purchase online, I check to see if its a secure site. I also use security software on my computer. I am diligent in protecting my information.

0 Kudos

The occasional contractor who is not card fruendly. Property taxes to the township drop off box. State and Federal tax payments. License and tab renewals.

0 Kudos
Contributor

yes, for the housekeeper, dry cleaner, some charity donations

Contributor

Real estate taxes. Water company. Church. Gifts. Gardener.

Info Seeker

Debit cards are dangerous especially using in internet......Stay with checks or credit card Because with credit you have protections

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

i must pay my rent and trash collection bill by check. I will also use a check if I want to create a paper trail.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use them mainly for rent, the management company my landlord uses charges 3% for debit or credit cards or $10.00 for e-checks. I can think of much better uses for at minimum $120.00 a year than giving it to this company. I'm happy to write them a check and mail it, that costs me less than $10.00 a year. Other than that I pay a lot of my bills online because there are no fees for those bills and it doesn't cost me anything but a little time.

Super Contributor

Ok, just last week I received the online amount owed on my Tel., Internet, Tv bill.  It was doulble the

amount I usually pay.!  Had I been paying on line, that amount would be automatically taken out my  account..

Knowing something was wrong, I waited until I got the bill in the mail in order to see where any errors occurred.   A.lengthy tellephone call was needed.and I got all apologies from the company with a gaurantee it won't happen again.  I'll stick with paying by check.

Honored Social Butterfly

@JudithP526204 wrote:

. . . . .   Had I been paying on line, that amount would be automatically taken out my  account..

Actually you don't have to do it that way -

You have two options with automatic/recurring payments from your bank account and another using a credit card.

Clark.com - 02/20/2020 - Automatic Bill Pay: How It Works and How to Do It Safely 

(also read the comments)

1.   Online Bill Pay, is set up through your bank. You give your bank the information for the account you have with the payee (your cell phone carrier, for example) and the bank automatically pays them what is due each month from your checking or savings account.

You don’t need to give your routing number and account number to anyone because your bank initiates the transaction. That means your information is never provided to any third party and therefore isn’t at risk.

You choose the amount to pay (based on the amount of your monthly bill) and the date the payment is made. That way, you know when to expect that specific amount to be withdrawn from your account.

If you need to and are using a checking account to make the payments, you can set up an alert for before the date the payment is supposed to go through so you can be sure you have the funds available and avoid any overdraft charges.

2.   THIS IS THE WORSE WAY - With Automated Debit Transactions, you allow a payee to deduct money from your checking or savings account each month by providing your routing and account numbers TO THEM. The problem is, when you give authorization to regularly draft from an account, it is an open-ended arrangement, regardless of your contract with the company.

Another issue with automatic payments is that regardless of how much money is in your account, that charge is going through. If you don’t have the funds in there, you’ll end up owing even more due to expensive overdraft fees and any other fees the payee may charge.

3,  Another way is: Automatic Bill Pay Through Your Credit Card

You can also set up or pay bills using a credit card (and get cash-back or rewards if the card gives these perks)

Many companies now accept credit card payments online — a much safer alternative for automating your bills.

Credit cards offer far better protections for you as a consumer, which is why you should always use a credit card instead of a debit card for any payments that could potentially cause you problems — like any online transactions.

You can set up automatic payments through your credit card to pay each bill before the due date each month.  Then you pay your credit card off each month, of course after making sure it is correct,  with your bank's online bill pay.

Super Contributor

GailL,, thank you, but I'm past the age where I want to be looking at statements on line and keeping track of it all. Getting a bill in the mail and writing a check is easier. And, our post offices need the money ! JudithP526204

Honored Social Butterfly

GailL,, thank you, but I'm past the age where I want to be looking at statements on line and keeping track of it all. Getting a bill in the mail and writing a check is easier. And, our post offices need the money ! JudithP526204

@JudithP526204,

I totally agree with your philosophy. I keep a ledger of when a bill comes in, when paid, and how much paid. I hate automation. I have had auto payments bite me in the butt before when I have ended a subscription, for example, and the auto pay kept coming out of my account. It took an act of God to stop the auto pay. My credit union makes a copy of my cashed checks accessible to me as proof they were cashed so if I have an issue, I have a valid paper trail.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png