Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Are You Still Using Personal Checks ???

Message 21 of 50

Yes,  I do. I use mine mostly at church. I like putting something in the plate besides money. Otherwise, I usually use a card. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 50

Absolutely yes, for any payment for which I need permanent proof of payment. I photocopy the check before dispatching it, and the image of the check in the paper bank statement proves that it was cashed. And yes, I pay to get paper bank statements. Paper records can't be lost by a system crashing or becoming obsolete, or hacked. Obsolete? 30 years ago I could write programs in 7 different languages. COBOL may still be used in an ancient system but I doubt that the other 6 are even remembered. Finally, the only reason we have our history before the computer age is that people wrote the record of events on PAPER.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 50

Yes - sometimes. But I also pay some bills directly from my bank account and I charge some bills. It all depends which way is best for me. I get 2% back when I use my charge card and sometimes the fee charged by utilities is quite a bit more than a stamp. Also, when I make a donation, I don't want a fee for my donation going to a GoFundMe account or PayPal - I want the whole donation going to the non-profit.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 50

I pay all my bills by check in the mail. My vehicle mechanic charges less if you don't use a card. I do use a card for gas and groceries or on line purchases.. I like to see things written out and keep good records and keep my checkbook balanced.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 50

My mother is totally non-electronic (no cell phone, no computer, zip).  I give her money every two weeks and it’s easier yo just give her a paper check.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 50

My mother has her checking account and mortgage at the same bank.  The mortgage side wants to charge a fee every month to do an automatic payment or an online payment.  To me, this is not even a case of not being in the 21st Century; just another way to get your money.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 50

The last few personal checks we used were written to charities for one time contributions or for tax, either to IRS or local property tax.  These then are my receipt for next year income tax.

Most other bills, credit card, utilities are paid through bank transfer.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 50

Only when I am paying for lawn care, plumbers, or other home repair services that do not take credit cards or other electronic forms of payment. 

I know I ordered too many checks forms last time but it is difficult to get rid of old habits.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 50

I use personal checks to pay two companies;  gas and water.  Both charge an excessive fee to pay online.  I recently purchased enough checks at a discount, from Costco, to last a decade or more.  I pay all other creditors electronically.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 50

Hi,

I am 63 years old and have not used checks for over 10+ years.  I had a box of checks just hanging around so I decided to used them at church for tithes.  Then my church set up an ATM machine at the church, then they set up on line.  So now I don't use the remainder of my checks at all.   I even told my mom who is in her 80's about paying her bills on line. She tried it and loves it.  So  the answer to your question is no I no longer use checks.  No need to.  PS.  My purse is now a little lighter. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users