Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

AARP Lifetime Membership

When I turned age 50 in 1996, I read that President Clinton also turned 50 the same month, and he bought a one-year membership in AARP.  I chuckled at the notion that he turned down the upgrade to a Lifetime AARP membership for only $59.00 and chose to pay the annual membership each year.

The AARP Lifetime Membership has served my wife and I well over the last 19+ years because of the additional cash-off discounts, free printed newsletter, free printed magazine, and other great topics.

For those who wish to upgrade their AARP annual membership to a Lifetime membership, the current amount is $200 and can only be requested by calling AARP at 800-566-0242 .  Or, perhaps you can encourage your children to sign up so they get more years out of it.

All my best, and be safe.

I have joined a number of organizations with a lifetime membership, but they were all based on actuarial tables. That made it worthwhile. AARP's one-price-fits-all lifetime membership makes sense for a 50 something, but not for an 80 something. If the organizations wants advance cash, it may want to upgrade its lifetime membership program. It only makes sense for me at  some point after I reach 95. Indeed, I hope I will have reason to regret my decision not to purchase the membership.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I also paid for a lifetime membership, when I first joined.

Can anyone explain to me why I am now all of a sudden being sent new membership cards, with a request to pay a renewal fee???

This is the first time that this has occurred since I established my membership.

The rules can't suddenly change "midstream", can they?  I do not feel that I owe - nor should I be expected to pay - any kind of renewal fee - EVER!

Same here. I joined by lifetime membership in 2017, and started getting renewal notices this year. Did you ever get this resolved?

0 Kudos
Contributor

When did you pay for the lifetime membership and how much was it? Thanks, JCM

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@mh22088254 wrote:

I also paid for a lifetime membership, when I first joined.

Can anyone explain to me why I am now all of a sudden being sent new membership cards, with a request to pay a renewal fee???   This is the first time that this has occurred since I established my membership.   The rules can't suddenly change "midstream", can they?  I do not feel that I owe - nor should I be expected to pay - any kind of renewal fee - EVER!

Don't worry about your Lifetime Membership.  It is good as gold and they will not change the rules on you.  If ever in doubt, you can always call their toll free customer service line.  You can also request a duplicate Lifetime Membership Card (the newer ones are now plastic).

As for the duplicate AARP "cards" they mail out every year, those cards are not activated and you owe nothing.  I suspect they have your name and address is a national database of elgible seniors (over age 50) and you will always get the mailings.  I get the same thing here.  And my wife gets annual invites too, even though she is under my lifetime.  It's easier just to toss them in the trash rather than to get them to stop the "blind renewals".  If you you ask to be removed from their mailing, it may stop your regular free AARP Magazine and newsletter.

By the way, the only change I have seen in the Lifetime is they keep raising the cost!  I am glad I got mine when it was "cheap".

I signed up for lifetime membership many years ago.

Some years ago I got a letter stating that I had to pay for my membership. The representative I spoke to told me that the lifetime membership was only for 20 years. I explained thst I wasn't dead yet. He said there was nothing he could do to help me. Prior to this conversation I had contacted them and their response was that there was no such thing as a liftimel membership. After this poor service, at my request, I told aarp not to contact me. Still, I want people to know what I went through. 

Contributor

I wanted to get a lifetime, but no way I could afford it at the time.  Now I am 81 and can afford it, I look at actuarial tables and feel it's a good deal, if I live to 100.  
My current membership expires 10/23.  If I paid for 5 years would I lose the 1½ year remaining on my existing membership?

Contributor

How much is the lifetime membership now?

0 Kudos
Contributor

TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP