Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

intermittent fasting - yes or no?

I just watched a video about weight control after 50.  One of the tips encouraged intermittent fasting.  I also did an aarp quiz on the same topic.  It said that studies do not support intermittent fasting for weight loss.  So, AARP, which is it????

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

One sometimes overlooked aspect of intermittent fasting is nutritional supplements. During your fasting window, you'll want to stay away from any food or drink that contains calories. While supplements aren't typically thought of as food, there are some supplements that can, in fact, break a fast in the same way as eating food will.

A person fasts to restrict caloric intake. Some supplements come with calories, so those are the ones to avoid. The most commonly consumed supplements that should be avoided are protein powders, gummy supplements/vitamins, and collagen.

Protein powders can contain 15 grams protein, 5 grams of carbs, and over 100 calories. That's definitely enough to break a fast. Gummy supplements usually included sugars, additives, and calories - all things to avoid while fasting. A serving of collagen contains about 30 calories which, while not hugely significant, is best to avoid.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been doing IF for about 6 months it has help me lose weight and being a type 2 diabetic i have cut my insulin in half. So it has been a win for me i recently got a CGM  monitor and that has helped with my blood sugar journey also so it has worked for me so far and eating 2 meals a day has been easy for me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Kudos to you for learning about IF (intermittent fasting)!  If you are looking for a dietary intervention for weight loss I would suggest that it may be most beneficial to simply focus on eating healthy,  whole, real food ie avoid processed pseudo-food and things that have ingredients you can't identify.  Eating simple, honest food ie vegetables, fruits, whole grains and unprocessed/non-deli meats and cutting out sugar is a great way to go on the journey of reclaiming your health!

While our diet matters our weight is ultimately controlled by our hormonal status, which itself is impacted by what we eat.  Other important factors are drinking plenty of clean water, getting enough quality sleep, managing/resolving stress, getting daily healthy movement and addressing any past traumas (physical, psychological and emotional....doesn't have to be a major event multiple small traumas shift our brains too).

These are some of the foundational areas to incorporate into your wellness adventure.  Find what works for you where you're at now, something you can joyfully sustain.  There is no "one size fits all" program for people as they reclaim their health and there is "no size" that will fit you all the time.  Each of us is a unique expression of humanity and we are all in a state of constant dynamic change so what we need to heal shifts too.  

All the best to you as you discover your own path to reach your goals! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have no idea if there is any scientific basis although it does keep me from eating garbage after dinner and for skipping breakfast. I miss my evening snacks. Oh well.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP