Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What games do you play to keep your brain healthy?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What games do you play to keep your brain healthy?

Playing brain games may lower dementia, do you play a game daily?  Here is a great article on this:  https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-health/info-2017/brain-games-lower-dementia-fd.html

Share here what games do you play.

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

June's Journey and Word Chums

Regular Contributor

I'm going to do an online Escape Room with my adult children and spouses.  I've done several in person, but this will be the first online one.  Should be interesting!

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP/Wiley)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Word With Friends on my iphone.   It's scrabble, basically. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play Minute Majong, Word Search, do Cross Word Puzzles, Word Search and Jig Saw Puzzles.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play Scrabble against the computer at an intermediate level, Spider 1 Suite solitaire, Hearts

0 Kudos
Contributor

Video games. On the computer, on a console. as long as they are interactive. The "reduce" stress, & keep you focused.
It can be any kind, I play a variety of them. From simple free solitare to more complex RPG , RTS & FPS games.
I link up with friends, my brother or just people. Thinking out the plans, resolving issues & the like.

Keep your brain healthy!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i  usually play mostly online solitaire games but there is this online game i play streaming it on my roku tv called text twist; it's a jumble of six letters (or 7) & you have to guess how many words you can make out of those letters. if you can guess what word takes up all six then you advance to the next one. it is an exciting game. it certainly works the brain.

0 Kudos

CHESS AND CROSSWORDS ON A HOYLE GAMES DOWNLOAD.

I ALSO USED TO PLAY BRIDGE AND HAND AND FOOT CANASTA AT THE 2 SENIOR CENTERS

IN MY AREA.

I BELIEVE THAT LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE FOR THE BRAIN AND THE WHOLE

BODY - TELL SOME A JOKE TODAY AND LAUGH AT YOUR OWN JOKE. IT WILL DO WONDERS FOR YOU.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I play all the games in AARP and quite a few other places as well.  I love all kinds of cards words, and or spinning anything.  I too, love to laugh and I do quite a lot of it every morning  at 7 am with my sister who calls me each day.  I recently sent her a picture that I glance at each day and I can't help but laugh every time.  dogcatimage.png

so sorry.  it doesn't show the laptop in front them, but I'm sure you get the joke.so sorry. it doesn't show the laptop in front them, but I'm sure you get the joke.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes, laughter is nice but unfortunately, I don't find many things that are too funny nowadays.  Be glad that you can.

0 Kudos

I enjoy Scramble with Friends, or Boggle, 7 Words, Jumble and word searches.I also play a mean game of Solitaire. I read a lot of non fiction, mainly medieval history, and knit and crochet.I enjoy the articles in the AARP magazines and online, and play some of the AARP brain games as well. Keeping the brain and body occupied! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Scrabble
Virginia Stegall

Card games. They require memory and stategy.

Contributor

I love playing solitaire, bubble witch, and scrabble.  I also love taking free courses on Coursera, I have learned a lot lately about our microbiome! Also love to learn new skills and enjoy doing crafts.  I took a class from the community college to learn how to make soaps.  Then another to learn how to can jam and jellies.  There is a meetup group which learns one "old" or "forgotten" skill each month, like how to make buttons, or an herbal syrup for coughs. People may not understand the Preppers, but the prepper websites have lots of information on how to do things the old way.  I don't have a lot of time to do all the things I want to do and work full time but I do find lots to keep my mind working when I want to. I love all the suggestions everyone has submitted.

Regular Contributor

We are never too old to learn new things or brush up on "old" things that our grandparents and great-grandparents knew.  I am someone who is forever curious and always looking for answers.  When I grew up, there were no computers, no cell phones, if you wanted to look something up, you went to the library and searched through books, sometimes for hours at a time.  If you wanted to make a phone call while out and about, you had to locate a phone booth.  Young people now, way too spoiled and that is not just the fault of technology, but the fault of the parents for giving them too much and not forcing them to work for a little knowledge they way the old folks had to when they were young.  Learning how to make soap and buttons, syrups, growing your own vegetables, learning about medical problems and ways to solve them and stay well, learning how to fix things in your own home instead of hiring a plumber at outrageous prices and so many other things ......all good.  We as humans, waste a great deal of time doing little to nothing and could be doing so much more than sitting in front of computers playing games and yakking on the phone.  How about taking some of that time and starting a letter writing campaign to our President to plead for harsher laws for violent criminals, or longer sentences and huge fines for people who abuse animals, make it a serious crime to run a puppy mill,  ask for lower insurance rates for senior citizens, higher Social Security payments to deserving senior citizens and dump the young welfare bums off of the rolls who keep having illegitimate kids and are getting paid for it with taxpayer's money!!

Yes, I play a few games, I read a few books, and I read the news article by article every single day and the majority of the time, it makes me sick and furious.  It's disgusting the amount of sick, twisted, mentally deficient people who we are surrounded with whether you realize it or not and something, more....should be done about it.   There's more to life than "us" and our games and books.

I agree to a lot of what you stated. It is a crying shame and something really needs to be done. I am a single working parent struggling hard to make ends meet. I do it everyday, why can't the next woman who has child after child do it too. It upsets my soul, due to the fact of the matter is, the ones that suffer,  besides us the tax payers, are those children. Who are being taught and raised to do the same, nothing. It really is sad and frustrating. God bless us all.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I like the online game site Pogo.  It's free, as long as you don't mind ads, or you can join Club Pogo for a fee & play ad-free.  They have Scrabble, Mahjong, Bingo, Bejeweled, Crosswords, Slots, Hidden objects, Word Whomp, Tumble Bees & so much more.

Regular Contributor

I started playing Checkers on POGO about 10 years ago.  When you are playing with other people you can also chat back and forth.  What I found is that you end up playing with some real jerks sometimes and they write some really nasty comments.  The Checkers board in my opinion is very small and if you have any problems with your eyes as I do, you're kind of straining to see the darn thing.  I started playing Checkers with other people on MSN Games.  It's free and doesn't seem to have the connection problems that POGO has.  I haven't been back to POGO since.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since I don't have anyone local to play Scrabble with (my favorite), I play Words with Friends online with my mother (she usually wins), and Boggle on line with her (I usually win).  I also play the Crickler puzzles online every day - also challenging against Mom.

0 Kudos

I love to play Scrabble too and have no one local to play with. I play on Facebook with 'random opponents'. It is not a back and forth way to play. I often have to wait for my opponent to come back online, so I usually keep 4 or 5 games going at once. But it meets my need!

Contributor

I enjoyed reading the responses... you all have given me some new ideas!

Variety keeps me more mentally on target. I play Sudoku, Scrabble Sprint, and Cryptoquotes online  (I highly recommend  this site, they have many onlines games that are all free to play):  https://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/scrabble-online-free.html

I also do crosswords on & off. But my favorite puzzles are the logic puzzles; the publishers sell bundles of puzzles from previous years at a deep discount and it's so much less expensive than a regular subscription (check out PennyDell online).

In addition, I read a lot-- daily-- and craft as well, which works my brain in a different way while my hands are aslo busy. Just started doing paper mosaic pictures, which can be maddening when my cat wants to help, but is a lot of fun!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I like reading responses as well, I love reading the comments that people make on the Yahoo articles which I read every day.  Photography has been a hobby of mine for more than 60 years and a good many of those photo's are of my dog, lol.

She's a pretty good little model.  Glad your cat likes to help you with your crafting, pets enrich our lives and we should do the same for them.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My favorite games are Scrabble, Solitaire, Chess, & Cribbage.

~Sharon~
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I always loved Scrabble but when you play Scrabble online, it's been my experience that the rules are very lax, people can use words that really aren't words, they are spelled incorrectly but they get away with it.   Chess seems to be complicated to me. But, never knew anyone who had real experience with the game and my attention span can be very short at times.  I get bored with Solitaire because it's a "solitary" game and I like to play online games with other people.  I can play online Checkers with other players for a few hours without losing interest. I was surprised at how good some people are at that game.  I used to think it was a game for little kids but no.

0 Kudos

I'm surprised that I haven't read chess in any of these replies.  Other than Go, there isn't any game more stimulating than chess.  I've been playing off and on since I was 15. I commute to NYC daily and it provides me with a way to pass the time on the train as I play against the app on my phone.

Harry

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I get bored easily, never played games as a kid and discovered online Checkers. I play against other people and I think it's kind of fun.
0 Kudos

I do a lot of crossord puzzles and play Free Cell and Spider Solitaire.

0 Kudos

In order, the Jumble, Sudoku, and crossword puzzle found in the Philadelphia Inquirer get my neurons moving just after breakfast. And like Rainman, I have to watch Jeopardy every weekday evening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play Mensa Kakuro. It's Sudoku on steroids.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP