Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Butterfly

What Stimulates Your Brain?

There are numerous activities to keep your brain stimulated, my top ones are:  Sudoku, reading in all kinds of genres, writing limericks, Zumba ( learning new dance steps ), trying out new recipes, playing Mexican Train ( dominos ), playing card game Quiddler, crocheting, making bookmark/ friendship bracelets out of embroidery floss, socializing and exercising.  

How do you stimulate your brain?

Recognized Social Butterfly

Learning 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

This thread has become a really good list of 'Things to do to stay sharp'.  The only thing I can add is Billiards...I was fortunate to inherit the table that my father acquired when he first settled down and started a family.  Strategy, tactics, geometry, physics and lots of brightly colored balls.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've fallen in love with the new kind of board games like Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Lords of Waterdeep, and my favorite, Terraforming Mars.   They are nothing like the boring games we all played as kids.  They are different every time you play.  Each one seems to 'tickle' a different part of my brain.  Some can be played solo  (which helped me get through the pandemic with my sanity intact).  Many can be played online, but I've never tried it; I like the social component (and being social is another brain stimulator for me). 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Rhymesometimes:  To answer  your question, I got my PhD in Natural Medicine, and before that a Masters in Herbology.  That knowledge really helps when western doctors try to stuff toxic chemicals into me and I can counter them with "WHY?".  I use my knowledge to write newspaper articles,  as well as to care for my own health.

Social Butterfly

@ip3285 That is impressive!  So glad there are people out there getting info about preventative measures, and doing things in the most natural way when it comes to our health.

Bronze Conversationalist

My major way to stimulate my brain after I retired was to return to college.  I wanted a degree,  When I graduated high school (over 60 years ago) my parents said girls don't need a degree, just training in 'something' in case some future husband was out of work and I had to support him.  When I finally retired, I decided to get a bachelor's degree.  Four years later, with a degree on my wall, I continued on to a master's degree, and finally, at age 78, a  PhD.  Yes, that kept my brain very active.  Then I wrote articles for newspapers until recently.  What next?  We'll see.  

Social Butterfly

@ip3285  Isn't it crazy how much attitudes have changed?  They say more women are in college currently than men.  You are an amazing inspiration to all of us, that it's never to late. Congratulations on your PhD.  What did you got your PhD in?   

Social Butterfly

I keep a tic sheet to track the number and duration of my daily naps.

Social Butterfly

@2Papa  Love your answer, so funny!

Contributor

I’m mentoring and editing on Zoom with college students who are updating the book I contributed to 53 years ago, Institutional Racism in America. It’s especially fun and challenging to co-edit a document on a shared Zoom screen.  It’s connecting me to young people as well, which is always good.

Regular Contributor

I love reading- all different kinds of genre... Love going to the gym and walking outside... I do the AARP crossword puzzles daily...My grandkids keep me going!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker

LOVE THAT ANSWER AND I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

0 Kudos
Contributor

EXERCISING, SUDOKU, CROSSWORD PUZZLES, READING, SEWING, GARDENING

Recognized Social Butterfly

Eating and Reading 

Racquel Evans
Social Butterfly

@RacquelE712599  enthusiast yes to both!

Super Contributor

Okay, this may be a bit weird but I like to go walking at night, and about every 10 minutes I stop, close my eyes, and smell the air. I work over the smells in my brain to categorize them but not to try and identify them. I do try to figure out if I smelled some of the scents in the past. The nose is the most directly-connected sensory organ to the brain and by analyzing scents like this I'm giving it a work out, using it in the same way our ancestors did to gain information on their surroundings.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com

Funny, I’ve been feeling the urge to walk outside when I wake in the middle of the night. Thus far, I have confined my walks to my own property, but could be safe within my own neighborhood. The quality of air at night differs from that of the day, and it’s a quieter world out there than during the day. Am I right in thinking that trees do something different after dark than they do in the sunlight?

Social Butterfly

@MarkV847771 Very creative, that's an awesome way to get your brain engaged and a little exercise too.  Might try that one out myself.

Super Contributor

Just be sure you're somewhere safe while standing with your eyes closed in the dark. 😉

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Community Manager
Community Manager

Reading is a big one for me too @Rhymesometimes 📚 Have any good books to share? Lately, I've been doing more yoga to stimulate my mind and body. This summer, I've become an early morning person (gasp!) and I've found that morning yoga is an incredibly beneficial way for me to start my day.

There are also a plethora of ways to stimulate your brain with Staying Sharp®, an award winning brain health program and an AARP member benefit. Check it out today!

I’ve been listening to audiobooks, Louise Penny, Stephen King, Paul Doiron, and several others, as I color, paint, or do jigsaw puzzles. I like to follow the canon of an author’s works and consider their development as writers.

Social Butterfly

@CathyC761317  Welcome to the on-line community.  So glad you are here.  Love the idea of of combining audio books with the hobbies you have.  I do that when I'm crocheting or looming hats, like the red and white striped one.  Especially like the fact that as you listen, you think about how the author is developing as a writer.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Love getting up early, it's the most productive time for me.  Welcome to the early bird group. 🐥 I keep saying I'm going to incorporate yoga. You are inspirational. I can recommend two interesting books I recently read.  'Atomic Habits' by James Clear and Joshua Foer's "Moonwalking with Einstein."

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the book recs @Rhymesometimes🤓 There's a free Stretchy Calming Yoga with Adriene class that AARP is hosting tomorrow morning. Check it out!

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Thank you so much for the tip, I signed up!

Super Contributor

One of the best ways to increase brain function is by playing an instrument, because it is multi-sensorial, meaning that it engages multiple parts of the brain for reading, listening, touch, emotion, intuition, sequencing, and it's fun! If anyone wants more information about the instruction books I've written especially for adults over 50, check out my website: UpperHandsPiano.com

I also LOVE to read! Fiction, and Non-fiction about Psychology, self-improvement, politics, biographies...

My guilty pleasure is playing Words With Friends, which is like Scrabble on your phone 😊

Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano That's fantastic!  Never to late.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Absolutely true! I teach several students in their 90s! No centenarians yet 🙂

Social Butterfly

@UpperHandsPiano  Very inspirational.  Hope to be learning new things, going on adventures and challenging myself into my 90s and beyond, if I'm fortunate to live that long.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP