Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Prevagen Claims

My first post as a new member - hope it meets the guidelines. My concern is whenever I see or hear a commerical by Prevagen, I get furious. They claim it improves memory - even says it in bold right on the product IMPROVES MEMORY 

These claims are nothing more that what you would hear from a snake-oil salesman. These claims have not been proven and the FDA has not substantiated these claims. There is NO SCIENTIFIC proof that this product works to improve memory and yet I see it pushed to the elderly evey day. Is there nothing that AARP can do to stop this company from gouging millions of eldery of their hard-earned money for this basically sugar pill? 

Thanks

Trusted Social Butterfly

Prevagen...That's the one that claims to be Jellyfish Juice right?  I remember when Ginko-Biloba was all the rage.  Still know people who take (and swear by) it. 

Personal experience:  The only OTC 'homeopathic' remedy I've found to make an appreciable difference is that Zinc stuff that claims to speed up recovery from the common cold.  I only tried it because I got a coupon for a free pack.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Also my first post -

I share your misgivings over Prevagen and the way it is advertised.  However, please consider the fact that there are few other readily available medications to help improve mental functionning.

If you look at the one study that was made on this drug, by the company that produced it, I believe, it was "...as effective as placebo."  This means it was not harmful, and would corralate to improvement about 1/3 of the time, which is the same outcome as taking a placebo.

While we all wish for better odds, taking the Prevagen at least gives that chance for improvement. 

Conversationalist

I have MM and it is effecting my brain...I think.

I take B6, B12, Folate, Riboflavin, Calcium and Magnesium...all in one supplement tablet.

Also I take green tea extract; helps with cancer and the damage done.

I haven't been taking it very long (2weeks), but....I think I feel some change to the better.

Even if it's the placebo effect, something is changing. I've been off of chemo for almost two years, so there may some of that reason too??? Prevalent has caffene, so may be that is the. "a certain clarity"

0 Kudos

$40 or more a bottle for a placebo that targets primarily the elderly is shameful. 

Amen friend, amen!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP