Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Get Inspired - Kick Bad Habits & Engage Your Brain

Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Inspired - Kick Bad Habits & Engage Your Brain

rsz_woman_playing_guitar.jpgKicking a bad habit is about rewiring your brain. Most bad habits are driven by our feelings of anxiety or fear. They serve as a way to distract you from something that feels uncomfortable.

Get inspired to reframe your mindset and develop positive habits! Is there something you've always wanted to try, but just...haven't? Matt Cutts suggests: Try it for 30 days.

Looking for other ways to engage your brain? Play AARP Staying Sharp games!

Periodic Contributor

"Kicking a bad habit is about rewiring your brain."

To many people that "rewiring your brain" part probably seems like an overstatement, or a little dramatic. It's not. There's a well-known, well-researched field of science dedicated to just that: neuroplasticity, or brain plasticity.

Neuroplasticity is the brain's ability to alter its connections — to re-wire itself. Without this ability a person's brain wouldn't properly develop from birth on through adulthood. It also wouldn't be able to recover (to some degree) from a brain injury.

One of the best things about neuroplasticity is that while it lessens with age, it never ends. No matter your age, you can still encourage your brain to remain "plastic." That improves memory, allows you to process information better, improves communication skills, and can even lessen anxiety and depression.

There are nutritional supplements that help with neuroplasticity. But there also simple, non-drug and non-dietary ways to keep your brain developing new pathways. Reading a book (especially fiction) helps. Continuing to learn helps. It doesn't really matter what it is you're learning - it's the process of learning, and practicing, something new that makes the brain stronger.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I think they should outlaw baseball players spitting!  Especially in the major leagues.  The games are on TV and who wants to see grown men spitting all over the place.  It is unsanitary and disgusting.  Come on MLB.  Start handing out fines and suspensions.  Little kids see this going on and mimic it.  🤐

Trusted Contributor

And how can players bat and run while chewing gum without chocking on it ?!?!?

At least they did ban snuff and chewing tobacco

Trusted Contributor

i don't really have any tips for getting rid of bad habits. i just eat what i want but am careful since i have type 2 diabetes. i can have sugar, just not so much of it. i do mind my carbs though. i'm always looking at the labels. if it contains too much carbs i place it back. i just don't get it. i have my own regimen: i only eat once a day at noon & a couple cereal bars in mourning. i do loose weight but if i eat any more than what i do i gain. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP