Community Manager
Community Manager

Self-Care Style

Not seeing family or friends. Losing your job or watching it transform beyond recognition. Getting a life-threatening disease or fearing you will. Having someone you know pass away.

Psychiatrists consider any of these events — which were especially common during the pandemic — to be potentially traumatic. For some, such high levels of prolonged stress may leave deep and lasting psychological scars, with the most extreme of these effects being post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

Trauma is an incredibly common yet misunderstood human experience. The good news is that healing from trauma and PTSD is possible. Creating a self-care ritual is an excellent way to deal with the emotional, mental and physical tole of trauma and PTSD. And there are so many ways to incorporate self-care into your routine!

From hiking to meditation, to cooking and eating nutritious foods, there's an abundance of ways to make self-care an enjoyable habit. We all deserve moments of joy and peace! What are your favorite ways to practice self-care? How would you define your self-care style?

Silver Conversationalist

My self care is writing drinking tea and reading a book. The best is thinking and knowing what direction I’m heading 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@AARPRachelA  Thank you for the post!  Yesterday was my first time in a gym since covid! Just getting on my favorite cardio machine, the rower felt awesome.  Looking forward to getting back to Zumba classes, and will probably dip my toe in a yoga class in the next few weeks.  Besides exercise, I continue to do my daily morning routine of a daily devotional, journaling and writing a to do list for the day while sipping some tea.  The whole thing only takes 15-20 minutes, and is the best self-care thing I've done for myself in a long time.  Be Well

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Great post @AARPRachelA 😁 Yes, this is my year of setting boundaries and loving myself!

Angela
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @RetirementAngelaVA 💜 Setting healthy boundaries is so important for self-care. I'm also working on that this year!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Join The Girlfriend and AARP® Staying Sharp® for a special live Facebook event on June 17th at 7:30 p.m. ET! Therapist Rachel Noble will discuss tips to create well-being and joy as we emerge from the pandemic.

Members Can Save More When They Travel

Save when booking a flight & hotel package. Join AARP today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health