Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Using My AARP Membership For Precriptions In Addition To My Health Insurance

Using My AARP Membership For Precriptions In Addition To My Health Insurance

Hi everyone. Forgive me if this question was answered but I didn't see it anywhere. I'm a new AARP member and was wondering if I can use my AARP card for extra discounts to my prescriptions when using my Health Insurance? In other words, If my meds are $30 with just my insurance, can I use my AARP membership for an additional discount? Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@TimothyOfRiverheadNY Thanks for being a member, Timothy! The AARP Prescription Discount Program is Provided by Optum Rx. It provides discounts on your prescription drugs that are not covered under Part D or another third-party provider. All AARP members can save an average of 61% off FDA-approved prescriptions at more than 55,000 participating retail pharmacies including Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, Kroger and WalMart, plus many more for prescriptions that are not covered by your insurance. All AARP members are eligible for the Prescription Discount Card and there are no costs to enroll. As an AARP member, you can enroll and print prescription discount cards online at: https://aarppharmacy.com/.

0 Kudos

That’s kind of highway robbery, isn’t it?  Part D insured folks pay $31.10 (this year, who knows what they’ll raise it to next) for worthless “insurance”.  Why should we pay for another program?  Part D is supposed to be drug insurance.  Your AARP name is on the card I get from UnitedHealthcare.  Walgreen’s wants $8.00/month (that’s an additional $104 yearly) to get “premium” service.  GoodRx doesn’t offer coupons worth anything unless you pay $13 a month these days.  Everyone wants MORE MONEY.  Explain to me (and your other customers, because I have an active Twitter account) why your name is on something so worthless and you want MORE!

0 Kudos

Excuse me, I didn’t make it clear the $31.10 is MONTHLY.  So Seniors with AARP Part D are already paying $373.20 a year, with an almost $500 deductible, and COPAYS that are high.  Added to which, the formulary is a bait-and-switch operation:  you look up your meds in November, the formulary TAKES THEM OFF when it changes in January.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm not sure this answers your, particular, question but maybe you can find your answer here.  I've never gotten a discount on my prescriptions through AARP membership, but have gotten it through the Optum RX that is available from AARPs Medicare Plan AND through other plans available.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/

HEALTH & WELLNESS
AARP® Prescription Discounts provided by OptumRx®
Prescription Savings
This program offers a free prescription discount card that can be used at over 66,000 pharmacies nationwide for savings on all FDA-approved medications. The program is open to anyone, whether you’re an AARP member or not – but AARP members receive additional benefits, including deeper discounts on medications, home delivery, coverage for your dependents and more.

If your pharmacy is unable or unwilling to process your discount, please have the pharmacist call 1-877-422-7718.

How to Access
Access your free discount card online and use at any participating pharmacy.

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP