Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Contributor

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Has anyone else been concerned about the closing of our current AARP credit cards and its effect on our credit scores? We've had our VISA for many years and have built a lot of history with them. Now AARP is going to CLOSE those accounts and replace them with a new one that won't have any history. Just closing the account will lower our scores significantly. We, for one, don't want to use the Barclay cards, which offer significantly less rewards, so the total amount of our credit will be reduced, another factor in the building of our credit scores.

What do you think?

POST-  Postscript 09-21-21: To head off what I was sure would be a catastrophe, and after looking up references on Barclay, we created a new Chase CC account (on August 12th, received it on the 15th), set up our auto-pay bills, and set up the new account for auto-pay from our bank. We paid off the balance on the old AARP account by 09-08-21, and cashed in all our rewards. Then today, we activated the Barclay account (online) and immediately canceled it (by automated phone call). We're in the process of setting up a second Chase card to compensate for the first CC account lower credit limit. Guess we're  lucky to have managed to get through to our Barclay account. Keep trying, folks, and don't hold back on your comments to both companies. They certainly could have done a better job of planning all this. Giving their customers a voice in the choice should have been STEP NUMBER ONE.

AND yet another POSTSCRIPT on 09-24: Today Barlcays was daring enough to send us a 'welcome' email with a reminder to activate our card, to which we replied,

"Thanks, but no thanks!

We didn't, and don't, want your card. We have already activated and immediately cancelled our Barclay cards.

For those poor folks who are, to this day, still trying to activate their card or just talk to a live person at your company, we extend our sympathy. Your company has made what should have been a direct and automated process so overly labor-intensive for so many seniors that you won't soon be forgotten or forgiven.

Shame on AARP for choosing you and shame on you for being so ill-prepared to handle the conversion.

Signed, 'notsoyoung'
Trusted Contributor

I have been waiting for weeks to get a refund and it still hasn't shown up.

I have legal proof of the refund and they are still trying to play cat and mouse!

I am dying to cut off from both AARP and BARCLAYS.

You are right about the 10 dollars. The crumbs are a joke!

Trusted Contributor

BARCLAY'S CEO has just stepped down due to his affiliation with JEFFREY EPSTEIN.

Now, we see the nature of this bank. If the leader is doubtful, you can imagine the rest.

@B18Benenson 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPLakeisha” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I went to Chase bank today to try to pay off my Visa card. They weren't aware of the problem and said they couldn't access my Visa account any longer. I wanted to pay off the balance so as to avoid late fees. Tried 3 phone numbers today for Barclays, but it was the same game of holding on until I'm forced to hang up. Very poorly set up as many AARP customers will end up with late fees.. Many it's a scam to rob seniors of their money. 

Contributor

Then get wothless advice and no action

Trusted Contributor

Unlike AARP, I apologize when I am wrong. I found my Barclay's card under a stack of mail (it's been a bad week).  I was able to activate the card online and I was able to set up an online account.  I used the card once and it did work.  I also would like to get up to $25 so I can cash in my rewards and not use the Barclay card.  All in all, I still think that this was a very bad move on the part of AARP and the time  members have spent on this issue can never be recovered.  I was very happy with my Chase AARP card.

Periodic Contributor

Hope you have more than $25 in Rewards points to cash in.  Anything less can't be used for anything with the Barclay's card.  

Trusted Social Butterfly

We can't activate our cards online because it didn't match to Chase. There's no way we're going to sit for hours on the phone waiting for customer service. Now I don't know if I should pay off my Chase balance. I suppose I should call Chase because my balance won't transfer if I can't activate our cards. Such poor planning and customer service. 

Community Concierge

@intersan You can activate your new credit card online here: http://www.barclaysus.com/activate Your AARP credit card balance from Chase has already been transferred to Barclays. To speak with Barclays, they can be reached at 866-677-1563. We appreciate your patience as Barclays works through higher than normal call volumes. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I tried online last week, but there was a problem with one item that didn't match. Every time I enter of ID and Password, there's a notice that I have to call. 

Community Concierge

@intersan Please keep trying to call them to get it straightened out, Barclays is working through their queue to address every call. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's now day 5 and no better off than I was on 9/20/21.  Tried on line as I've been doing throughout the day for 5 days now.  I'm beginning to believe that my card will never be activated.  I have no idea how I will be able to pay the last payment on the card.  I'm guessing Barclays will send me a bill eventually.

Retired Moderator

Hi there, sorry to hear you are still having difficulties activating your AARP Credit Card. We would be glad to help. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPAngelaC” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP membership number
  • Best contact email and phone #

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Richard Rothschiller

[Phone numbers and email address removed to protect your online privacy]

best to email or text because I don't get Tmobile voicemails for a few days

Most likely I discarded the postal mail offer of a new card, assuming it was just an ad to persuade me to get a new card, and thinking that my Chase card doesn't expire until 2024.  So how do I get AARP/Barclays to send me a new card?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Hi there, here to help. Please contact Barclays at 866-564-3674 to request your AARP Credit Card from Barclays be re-sent. If you run into any issues, please do not hesitate to send me a private message. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I know I said I was done, and dropping off - but one last post.  For those of us who remember the NON-WEB - old school way to be heard - Mail, Phone, Fax, even old style email... This may help.. We can do it the old way with letters, calls or whatever - rather than posting into the bit bucket of the internet.. Or... we can just fade away...

Where is AARP Corporate office Headquarters

• Address: 601 E St NW, Washington, DC 20049, USA.
  • Phone Number: +1 800-775-6776.
    • Press 3 so you don’t have to listen
    • Someone will answer, and listen to complaints
  • Fax Number: 202-434-2525.
  • Email: member@aarp.org.
  • Number of Employees: 2250.
  • Established: 1958.
  • Founder: Ethel Percy Andrus.
  • Key People:
    • Jo Ann Jenkins., Chief Executive Officer – AARP
    • Martha M. Boudreau, EVP and Chieve Communications & Marketing Officer
    • Kevin Donnellan, EVP and Chief of Staff
    • Scott Frisch, EVP and Chief Operating Officer
    • John Larew, President and CEO of AARP Services

The only email I have been able to locate is JJenkins@aarp.com – this address never rejected and recipted - I have sent several emails to this address, but no response at all.

Periodic Contributor

Today is day 4 of the nightmare. They now claim that my mother's card is activated because they can see she used it for purchases. No she did not because it is sitting in the dresser drawer. She lives in assisted living and we are using my Wyndham Visa for her automatic payments. This is beyond disgraceful. I have no words to say how angry I am and what a mess we're in. I was told there was some hardships activating the card because the date of births were not matched up correctly. I fear that they have mistaken her for another person and there will be many more days of this nightmare. Again Shame Shame Shame on AARP for creating this situation and leaving their seniors blowing in the win

Periodic Contributor

Another Follow-up:

Opened an account way, way back in June 2021.  There was an immediate FRADULENT CHARGE of $24.00.  Barclays waived the charge, closed and opened a new account AND MOVED THE FRADULENT CHARGE TO MY NEW ACCOUNT!!!  Impossible to contact this stupid bank, they continue to send me monthly statements billing late fees!!!  We're up to approx. $200.00 as of March 2022.  I closed the new account way, way back in July 2021!!  What a freaking joke!   AARP should be absolutely ashamed for endorsing this spam of a bank.  What's funny is several articles in there monthly magazine advise how to avoid spammers, convinced AARP is a spammer.  My excellent credit score is now ABSOLUTELY RUINED! Needless to say, getting ready No for retirement,  I'm canceling my subscription to AARP as I'm convinced they're nothing but trouble, and question the businesses they endorse.

TO TOP EVERYTHING OFF BARCLAYS SENT ME THE FOLLOWING EMAIL:

Reminder: Request for Assistance

Choice Privileges® Visa® 
Date:
February 21, 2022, 8:46 AM

Please tell us what you think.

We want to know what you think about your most recent contact with Choice Privileges® Visa® Card. To begin, simply answer the question below.

Please share your feedback by February 27, 2022.

Based on your recent experience, how likely is it that you would recommend the Choice Privileges® Visa® Card to a friend or colleague?

Not at all 
likely
 Extremely
likely

Concentrix Analytics is sending you this message on behalf of the Choice Privileges® Visa® Card. 
Questions?
  For troubleshooting, please check the FAQS here. To opt-out of future Concentrix surveys, click here

Please Do Not Reply to this Email
This is a notification-only email that cannot accept incoming replies. To send us a secure message, log in to www.BarclaysUS.com.

The Choice Privileges® Visa® Card is issued by Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays) pursuant to a license by Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visa and Visa Signature are registered trademarks and used under license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.

© 2021 Barclays Bank Delaware (Barclays), PO Box 8801, Wilmington, DE, 19899. Member FDIC.

Please do not reply to this message. This email is sent from an unmonitored account. 

© 2021 Concentrix Confidential

Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidW740388, AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Barclays on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/contactsupport) to submit a web help form and include the following information:

• Are you currently receiving late fees after the account has been closed? 
  • Description of your issue
  • Please mention that you are requesting an escalation

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

We are currently providing support for this issue and have confirmed there is no mistaken identity. Please be patient while Barclays works to ensure your issue is resolved. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@AARPAngelaC yes they indeed worked on it. Barclay called my mother and told her her card was not closed and it was activated no problem

My next visit I will be taking her out and we will be making an inexpensive purchase to make sure it works.

THE PROBLEM WE NOW HAVE IS ONE OF THE ORIGINALS - - I CANNOT CREATE AN ONLINE PROFILE FOR HER BECAUSE IT KEEPS SAYING THERE'S ERROR. I LIKE TO HAVE IT ONLINE SO I CAN MAKE SURE HER PURCHASES AND STATEMENTS AND PAYMENTS ARE CORRECT. ANYWAY YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PART OF IT?

Retired Moderator

I would need to have the Escalation team contact you just as they contacted your mom. Please stand by and I will have them do so. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

After waiting for  hours since they de-activated my Chase card, and eventually Barclays answered after 2 3/4 hours, and I held for another hour and hung up. I spoke to a Barclays rep in another department and he confirmed the nightmare of a technical snafu and the in undated phone system. I then spoke to a rep at Chase who told me it was AARP who changed companies!! If I wasn’t prepared with another credit card I would point out the IRONY that AARP is clearly abusing seniors here by not planning or intervening in behalf of their customers!!! GET ON IT AARP!!!! 

Trusted Social Butterfly

My husband was on the phone for over 2 hours, but they kept saying they'll take his call as soon as possible while playing this obnoxious music. You'd think Barclays would have been aware of the large number of AARP members. I tried online, but they said one item didn't match our records, namely his mother's maiden name. Such terrible service makes me wonder how long it's going to get through to customer in the future. At least we have 2 active credit cards, but I feel sorry for those who only have one. 

Periodic Contributor

I was on hold for almost 2 hours!  Then was transferred to some fraud # and was hung up on!  This bank ABSOLUTELY sucks and AARP should be absolutely ashamed to be promoting this sham of a bank and causing undue stress.  

Regular Contributor

Hi David. I am sorry to hear about the hold time you experienced and the call being dropped. You can always contact AARP for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Barclays on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/contactsupport) to submit a web help form and include the following information:
• Description of your issue

• Your phone #
• Please mention that you are requesting an escalation

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Now it's day 4.  My card is still not activating - tried on line again.  My information doesn't match.  I refuse to make another call to anyone at Barclays and  this morning (Day 4).  It's a waste of hours waiting on the phone.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it is a waste of your time to have to keep calling.  I now have my card and was able to activate it on the phone(I think). I am going to try to use the card today for a small purchase and see if it works.  I do have a recurring payment that I switched from Chase AARP to Barclay card. I hope it works?

Honored Social Butterfly

First I must say that finally got most of my problems worked out with the card.

It is evident the change over was and is a total mess since it was poorly planned by AARP and Barclays. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. AARP membership is older Americans. Many are well over 80 and up. That means they are different than the younger members (I am in that older group.) Age has serious effects on one. What used to be simple is now complex, medical problems are present in most, what were simple problems now are major problems, and you can even have death. Keeping track of things becomes harder. Older people function different than younger so AARP can not use the same methods other org.use when making changes. AARP must make them easy and simple.

2. I have been following the problems of the 85 year old women who had her son try and help her and the bank would not allow this, and the AARP people in here backed the bank up. This is a prime example of what I am talking about. AARP should always insist that an older person can get help with a problem due to AARP being an org. that recruits older people.

3. The results of the problems being caused by this changeover are different and can be long lasting to older members. They can even result in medical conditions, and at worst deaths. I know it has effective me a lot differently than it would have 20 years ago or when I first joined AARP. Today I took my heart problem tablets used when that problem arises. Was out of it for about 3hours. I am in good health for my age to.

AARP and all its employees need to realize who makes up the people they serve and stop saying call back or do something on the computer. AARP needs to get more people answering phones at the bank and AARP, and have those people solve the problems they caused. Rules should be waved so an person helping an elderly person are helped not closed off.

This problem was caused by AARP not doing what was best for all members by allowing the Bank to have rules that hurt not help many members of AARP.

I would ask that the people from AARP posting answers in here take a copy of this post to the person running AARP and ask her to review it, and then answer it to all members.

My hope is she would commit to AARP never again allowing something like this to happen. Retrain the entire Staff as to who makes up the membership, and put people before money.

I look forward to seeing her thoughts brought forth to all members, and employees. That way AARP will survive as the biggest older American support group.

Retired Moderator

Hi there, we certainly understand your concerns and frustration. To my knowledge specifically, we do not turn away anyone helping their parent or loved one who is an AARP member. Activation issues require speaking with an agent to get the card activated. While we would love to be able to help everyone who can't get through due to long hold times, there unfortunately are not enough people available to make outbound calls to handle that same volume. We here at AARP can have a Barclays rep reach out, but that can take a week or more, especially with calls still coming in. As of yesterday, call volume has decreased by more than 50% as Barclays has been working tirelessly to get things resolved. If anyone has any issues they are unable to get resolved by speaking to a Barclays agent (not with hold time), please reach out by sending me a private message. We appreciate your patience as Barclays continues to work through the high call volume. I sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience. Thanks!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP