Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Contributor

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Has anyone else been concerned about the closing of our current AARP credit cards and its effect on our credit scores? We've had our VISA for many years and have built a lot of history with them. Now AARP is going to CLOSE those accounts and replace them with a new one that won't have any history. Just closing the account will lower our scores significantly. We, for one, don't want to use the Barclay cards, which offer significantly less rewards, so the total amount of our credit will be reduced, another factor in the building of our credit scores.

What do you think?

POST-  Postscript 09-21-21: To head off what I was sure would be a catastrophe, and after looking up references on Barclay, we created a new Chase CC account (on August 12th, received it on the 15th), set up our auto-pay bills, and set up the new account for auto-pay from our bank. We paid off the balance on the old AARP account by 09-08-21, and cashed in all our rewards. Then today, we activated the Barclay account (online) and immediately canceled it (by automated phone call). We're in the process of setting up a second Chase card to compensate for the first CC account lower credit limit. Guess we're  lucky to have managed to get through to our Barclay account. Keep trying, folks, and don't hold back on your comments to both companies. They certainly could have done a better job of planning all this. Giving their customers a voice in the choice should have been STEP NUMBER ONE.

AND yet another POSTSCRIPT on 09-24: Today Barlcays was daring enough to send us a 'welcome' email with a reminder to activate our card, to which we replied,

"Thanks, but no thanks!

We didn't, and don't, want your card. We have already activated and immediately cancelled our Barclay cards.

For those poor folks who are, to this day, still trying to activate their card or just talk to a live person at your company, we extend our sympathy. Your company has made what should have been a direct and automated process so overly labor-intensive for so many seniors that you won't soon be forgotten or forgiven.

Shame on AARP for choosing you and shame on you for being so ill-prepared to handle the conversion.

Signed, 'notsoyoung'
Honored Social Butterfly

Lets go by the numbers;

1. If you read the series of post in here about the 85 year old member living in an Assisted living home you will see the same example I talk about, and it still goes on today by the latest post. Why has not AARP gotten involved in the problem and solved it for the member. AARP caused the problem for the member.

2. The  way you help members with something like this is through proper planing. If AARP had done that there would be enough agents available to service all calls at the Bank and AARP phone Centers.

AARP signed off on the procedures in place during the pre planing stage of the change over. That always happens with something like this. Are you telling me AARP agreed to up to a week wait for a return call? If so you prove my point of total failure in planing by both parties.

3. Barclays has been working tirelessly to operate in the mess it and AARP created by poor planing.You are correct most of the problems can be solved by speaking with an agent and the most important gateway to that is reaching the agent which the poor planing by the Bank and AARP has made just about impossible.

I called the AARP phone center Friday night after finding out neither Chase or Barclays call centers were taking calls from AARP Cardholders. The AARP call center was more worried about it being 10PM than the disaster approaching them. They had no more information than we had been mailed. There was no one from the Credit Card Team present in the center to assist with calls on the change over, as there would have been with proper planing.

4. The AARP people should have been able to have the Bank perform without a return call with proper planing, and never should it take a week. Any supplier who told AARP it would take a week to answer a person should never have been made the supplier.

5. What has happended could have been avoided with proper planing by the Bank and AARP. That is evident by both Banks refusing to service people from Friday till Monday by phone.

Last but not least. I hope you took my previous post to the Chief Operating Officer as I and all AARP Members await hearing from her on what is being done to prevent this from happening again, and to restore members faith in the AARP sponsored programs.

Regular Contributor

This was VERY WELL written, thank you - we can only hope that the executive teams at AARP and Barclays will see it..

Regular Contributor

I agree with Lisa, John you texted very clearly some of the huge problems, even health wise, which we older folks who used to be able to handle, which even younger people are not faced with on their credit cards...we relying on one or two, young have 30 or more, bad credit, we have handled ours responsibly. Why was Chase not kept, such a very good Provider, did AARP get bigger kickback? Will this happen to Hartford, United Health AARP contracts?? It is so frightening we elders have to be so worried about this with deaths accelerating pandemic!! Please give assurance!! Maybe best we set up our home, auto ins direct thru Hartford now, same with United Health!! Please someone give us answers!! Cannot wait to understand what another fiasco will occur. I always trusted AARP, no communications happening from Top CEO by letter, anything, PLEASE!!!!Nan

Periodic Contributor

Ok I got a human being who cleared up my issue. Best time to call is between 8 and 9 am Eastern time.  What a mess this has been!  The card works. I used it to get dog food just to make sure it would go through and it did.  

Regular Contributor

Interesting thing - Today I am getting offers from Chase to open a new card! LOL - Hmmm- are the leveraging the AARP/Barclays problems??

Periodic Contributor

I did too, and I took advantage of them! I have never had a problem with Chase and they were good offers.

Who needs an AARP on their card anyway?

Periodic Contributor

I was totally satisfied with my AARP Chase Card, the cashback benefits and APR it offered - neither BARCLAYS cards come close to fulfilling all that.  We eat out often, get gas etc. We don't shop drug stores a lot nor do we travel extensively so neither card has me excited.  I'm just going to try and cancel this credit card  (although I haven't even attempted to activate it).  I already went to my local Chase bank and received the Freedom Unlimited which is more aligned to our needs. Personally at this point I'm not worrying too much about my credit score. I believe I'll have to quit AARP once my membership expires --- so disappointed in the organization - I do not believe they had the consumer in mind!

Periodic Contributor

This is the third day that I can't get access to my Barclay's account.   Let's keep up the comments of displeasure.   The AARP VP should be fired for this mess.  Keep filing those BBB complaints on both parties.  

Periodic Contributor

There is no customer service answer and the attempts are flagged as fraud. I was fine with Chase. Barclay is incompetent to the point of lunacy 

Periodic Contributor

Finally talked to someone after 4 hours yesterday.  The rep said that my account is partially there, but not completely built.  She cannot build it.  I have to wait till the system receives all of the information.  The only thing I can do is keep trying on line.  I tried this morning and still no account set up.  The rep said that the 20th was just the date that Chase closed our accounts, but our accounts will begin to be built on the 20th.  She could not give me a date when all accounts will be built. 

So, I'm to keep trying till activation works on line.  My guess is that the batch process of loading all of the data coming from the AARP records was too large for the Barclay system to handle.  Chase must have a much larger database to handle the large volume of AARP members than Barclays.  

We will get our account activated pay it off and then cancel the card.  Then shop around for a better card with a larger company. 

Though, I hate to, I'll keep trying 

Periodic Contributor

I just attempted to add this new Barclay card to my cable and PayPal accounts again and - it worked! I will give it a chance at this point, but any more screw-ups and it's history. While I am keeping this one I think I will pick up another one too, just in case. I plan on being prepared!

Periodic Contributor

It took me 30 seconds at the most to get a Chase Freedom card online this morning. Just saying...

I will keep them both for now, just because I don't want to affect my credit score by closing Barclays. I won't hesitate to close it if I have problems though.

Periodic Contributor

I already hate Barclays. Their customer service number does not work.  They lagged two purchases as fraud. They were not. Nobody answers the customer service number. I hear Muzak and am then disconnected.  

@as25323663 AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPLakeishaโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:
  • Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

What the hell is an "escalation team"?

Periodic Contributor

Hi. I've not posted here before so I'm not sure how to make a post for the first time. And I do need the escalation team involved in my Chase / Barkley transfer as they accidentally CLOSED my account rather than activating so now have no major credit card and really not sure of the true status of my Barclay card. I've spent six and a half hours on the phone trying to get through again and it just is not working out. Please help thank you so much

@tiberious 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPLakeishaโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank you - I will

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I tried the above link and it says access denied.

Regular Contributor

Here to Help, Barclays experienced unexpected errors yesterday, are aware if the errors and are actively working to correct them as quickly as possible. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to AARP's attention as we work with Barclays to get everything straightened out. Regarding the 24 hour wait to use your card, it sounds like there is incorrect information being passed around and for that I sincerely apologize. We have confirmed with Barclays that under normal circumstances where everything is operating normally, there is no wait to use the card after activation.

Your existing Chase trade line on your credit bureau report will be updated to reflect Barclays as the issuing bank. This will not appear as a new or secondary trade line, but will simply update the existing one. The history associated with your prior Chase trade line, including account open date and recent payment history, will still remain visible. The changing of the issuing bank will not impact your credit score, although your credit bureau report may take up to 60 days to update following the transfer. I hope this information is helpful!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well they are still having problems.  I am furious and want to close this account. I donโ€™t trust Barclay.

Info Seeker

Had GREAT feelings about AARP until this Barclays debacle.  All whoever exec made this horrible decision without polling US CUSTOMERS OF AARP, should be fired since all he had to do was google the various customer user's reviews site; most sites rate Barclays as the absolute worse.  Trustpilot for instance rates them based on 1700 inputs as either 86% or 90% BAD and only 1% good. I had the same horrible experience most here had I tried to freeze my account online and could not even do that so I locked my account by reporting it lost.  I will not be using this card but paying it off asap and cancelling the card.  All this already has been and will for certain in the near future cause all world's of nightmare and my valuable time lost I am already over 4 hours total into dealing with this.
Thus I am VERY VERY UNHAPPY with AARP - you need to address this horrible mistake in some kind of meaningful way (as measured by us customers) rather then excuses or mere BS word apologies as there was ZERO excuse for any competent management to have made such a customer damaging decision. 

Regular Contributor

AARP Credit Card transition to Barclays. Barclays experienced unexpected errors, are aware of the errors and Hi there, AARP Member Benefits here to help. We sincerely apologize for your less than ideal experience with the are actively working to correct them as quickly as possible. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention as we work with Barclays to get everything straightened out. Please try them again later. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Can you explain the reason AARP switched credit cards?  I seems there is no advantage to us customers.  I was charged a late fee on the date that my Chase payment was due.  My payment for the balance had always been withdrawn from my checking account by Chase.  I used to almost exclusively used my AARP Visa.  I now had to contact 16 different accounts that charge my monthly payments to the AARP Visa.

This change has effected my credit score.  AARP may get that corrected but during the time this correction take place, this effect my applying for credit.

Finally, Barclay customer service seems to be non existent.  I waited 1 hour and 45 minutes yesterday and am up to 45 minutes today on hold.  This is unacceptable.

@md4192 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPLakeishaโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name

0 Kudos
Contributor

Me too.  Same issues with long wait on hold and late fee charged on the due date.  Looks like a scam to enable Barclay's to make a windfall in late fees.  We will pay the late fee and cancel our Barclay's card account.  If I can figure out how to report this to the state attorney general's fraud division, I will.  

Regular Contributor

• Your first & last name

Retired Moderator

Hi there, here to help. The mailed information regarding the transition advised that 'for payments due to Chase between September 17, 2021 and September 19, 2021, we recommend that you mail it to the Chase address for payments indicated on your AARP Credit Card from Chase statement at least 7 days before it is due.' If this was not done and you see a late fee after your Barclays account has fully transitioned, please reach out to Barclays to request removal of the late fee. If you run into any issues with that, contact AARP and we'll help. 

The transition does not impact your credit score. Your existing Chase trade line on your credit bureau report will be updated to reflect Barclays as the issuing bank. This will not appear as a new or secondary trade line, but will simply update the existing one. The history associated with your prior Chase trade line, including account open date and recent payment history, will still remain visible. The changing of the issuing bank will not impact your credit score, although your credit bureau report may take up to 60 days to update following the transfer. I hope this information is helpful!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well you made a dreadful mistake.  

Regular Contributor

• Your first & last name

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP