Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Contributor

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Has anyone else been concerned about the closing of our current AARP credit cards and its effect on our credit scores? We've had our VISA for many years and have built a lot of history with them. Now AARP is going to CLOSE those accounts and replace them with a new one that won't have any history. Just closing the account will lower our scores significantly. We, for one, don't want to use the Barclay cards, which offer significantly less rewards, so the total amount of our credit will be reduced, another factor in the building of our credit scores.

What do you think?

POST-  Postscript 09-21-21: To head off what I was sure would be a catastrophe, and after looking up references on Barclay, we created a new Chase CC account (on August 12th, received it on the 15th), set up our auto-pay bills, and set up the new account for auto-pay from our bank. We paid off the balance on the old AARP account by 09-08-21, and cashed in all our rewards. Then today, we activated the Barclay account (online) and immediately canceled it (by automated phone call). We're in the process of setting up a second Chase card to compensate for the first CC account lower credit limit. Guess we're  lucky to have managed to get through to our Barclay account. Keep trying, folks, and don't hold back on your comments to both companies. They certainly could have done a better job of planning all this. Giving their customers a voice in the choice should have been STEP NUMBER ONE.

AND yet another POSTSCRIPT on 09-24: Today Barlcays was daring enough to send us a 'welcome' email with a reminder to activate our card, to which we replied,

"Thanks, but no thanks!

We didn't, and don't, want your card. We have already activated and immediately cancelled our Barclay cards.

For those poor folks who are, to this day, still trying to activate their card or just talk to a live person at your company, we extend our sympathy. Your company has made what should have been a direct and automated process so overly labor-intensive for so many seniors that you won't soon be forgotten or forgiven.

Shame on AARP for choosing you and shame on you for being so ill-prepared to handle the conversion.

Signed, 'notsoyoung'
Contributor

I am experiencing a similar problem. The automated system was not able to recognize the security code and the wait times have been outrageous. I finally gave up after 2 hours on hold. Disappointed that Barclays seems to have not planned for the volume associated with such a major switch. Outages are not an excuse, and the least Barclays could have done was include a message indicating such an issue. Would have saved me 2 wasted hours today and 3 hours yesterday and a lot of frustration. This is an apppalling introductory experience to a new financial institution.

Bad, B-A-A-D planning. 2nd day and the new Barclay's card is still not activated. Waited on hold over 1 hr 30 m yesterday before I gave up. Gave Barclays 1 star and a unflattering comment on Wallet Hub. Barclays did send a generic email in response to my complaint on their website, stating that cards take 24-48 hours to activate. So this means I have

waited FIVE DAYS without my credit card being active! Totally unacceptable. AARP could salvage its reputation and standing by at least acknowledging the issue and providing details on its response to this disaster.

Community Concierge

@Bksutton1 We sincerely apologize for this less than ideal situation. We understand how this can be frustrating for members which is also frustrating for AARP. Barclays is experiencing unexpected activation errors. These unfortunate errors are causing extremely high call volume and longer hold times. They are aware of the errors and are actively working to correct them as quickly as possible. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

AARP's responses are incredibly tone deaf to say the very least. Barclays AND AARP have joint responsibility for this spectacular fiasco. Please explain how AARP could possibly affiliate with a bank that has such a low customer rating. If I find that Barclays has not resolved my issues, a list of 10, so far, that I hit them with last evening they will be advised what they can do with the credit card. I will also advise AARP to not let the screen door hit them in the rear (spelled with an A). You have absolutely crapped on every AARP cardholder and do not deserve our loyalty. The Chase branded card was excellent for its service to clients and to be so badly treated by Barclays and AARP is beyond comprehension.

Community Concierge

@jw14956293 I understand how frustrating this is. I responded to your previous comment as well: Barclays has been experiencing an outage that is causing unusually long hold times. We genuinely apologize for this inconvenience and we recommend that you keep trying. They are working hard to get this issue resolved as soon as possible. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Why doesn't Barclays have their people answering complaints here? Telling me that they are aware of the problem is like telling a drowning man to wait 30 minutes until someone can fix the life preserver.

Info Seeker

What a great point you made as to why there is not one Barclay's post on here as of 9-22-2021 at 1:10am Alaska time.  Down with Barclay's?

Contributor

I've been on hold for over 3 hours today, and numerous times yesterday and have not gotten through yet. Nice to see that you a re apologizing on Aarps behalf but I ain't got time for this. Help! I wonder if Barclays would be as patient as we have been when it comes time to paying our bills in a timely manner.

Contributor

I was on hold 3 hours 9/20 am and 2 hours 9/20 pm.  I have called 7 numbers today before I actually got a person, i then sat on hold for 4 hours before they hung up on me!  Same issue here, birthdate does not match the other information.

No help at all. I’m sitting here after 3 hours on the phone ......I expected more from AARP .....this is going to cost you memberships 

Periodic Contributor

Same here. This is a complete JOKE!

Regular Contributor

Right but AARP Chase card was supposed to be active until September 19.  As of September 17, our Chase accounts were inaccessible.  There is no way to tell our balance.  Meanwhile, we can't activate the Barclay's card until 6 pm on the 20th.   

There are many accounts where I have my credit card listed for payment purposes.  Those accounts can't be updated with the new Barclay's number until it's active.  So it appears that's how I will be spending every evening once the card is activated.

For an organization that is supposed to support seniors, AARP falls short.  This transition process is difficult and complicated.  Luckily I am still an alert senior, but I can only imagine how difficult this would all have been for my parents.  

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclay's . We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclay's  for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPLakeisha” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:
- AARP membership number (or home address)
- Best contact phone number
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks.

Honored Social Butterfly

I received my new mastercard today. wanted to set up access to my account on the computer so on Sept. 20 when I activated it would be able to get in to my account on the computer right away.

The Barclay web site would not let me. Said they had no record of the account number I was taking off the card they issued me. They have given no working 800 number to call before 9/20. Called the number they gave and it was a repeat of what was in the written material. No way to talk to a real person. On Sept. 20 you will never be able to get through to  the phone and there is a good chance the computer system will crash since everyone will be trying to set up their account.

Right now to me this seems like stupid planing on Barclays planing. People should be able to set up access to their account ahead of time since they have a credit card and have been assigned a number. There should be an 800 number for people to use.

This seems to be the signal of one big problem on Sept. 20, and a lot of unhappy people (AARP members) trying to use their new credit card. Really poor planing for this change.

There is a special note at the bottom of the benefits about money going to the AARP foundation instead of the cardholder. This seems to bear out my previous comment about cardholder benefits being reduced to allow for this. The Bank seem to be saying to all this was not our idea.

I would suggest someone from AARP explain why we can not set up access to our account now, and were cardholder benefits reduced for money to the foundation.

Periodic Contributor

The process for credit card company changeover is very troubling.  I received our new cards from Barclay's today, but they can't be activated until 9/20.  Meanwhile, the instructions mailed with the cards say that any automatic payments billed to the old Chase card should be updated before 9/17.  This makes no sense to me.  How can auto payments be processed before a new card is activated?  It sounds like one of the security concerns AARP publishes warnings about.  I do have an autopayment that is scheduled for 9/17 under the old Chase card and will not change my account there to the new Barclay's card until after it is activated.  I am hoping that the vendor does not penalize me and simply gives me a warning about a late payment.  If they do charge a penalty, I will likely cancel my AARP card (and maybe also my AARP membership).  Any advice or assurance anyone can offer on this will be much appreciated.  I am very disappointed in AARP's handling of such a major issue in people's lives.

Periodic Contributor

I have not received the new card, even though my wife has hers. Apparently the cards are individually numbered as we cannot activate the card using her information - it says we must use the primary account information, which I don't have as I don't have the card. We cannot get through to Barclays - the phone rings twice then disconnects. When I called Chase two weeks ago they were very apologetic, but says their hands were tied. They assured me that everything (rewards points, balances etc) would carry over, but that assumes you have access to the account. What a nightmare. Thank you AARP corporate execs for doing such a fine job of screwing up our credit cards!

We sincerely apologize for the extended hold times being experienced today with Barclays. The phone # for members who did not receive a new credit card from Barclays is 866-677-1563. If you are still unable to get through to them, please try later or tomorrow. 

0 Kudos

Have you tried calling Barclay?  I was on hold for 1 hour and 45 minutes yesterday when I gave up.  Today, I'm up to an hour.  I'm planning on holding on today until someone answers.  I may not be successful but I'll try.

Periodic Contributor

Be aware that after 2 days and hours of waiting on hold, dead phone batteries, inability to access anything via other methods I finally talked to a real person and after about 15 minutes I was assured the card was activated and I could go online and set up my account and autopay for the card. I tried, nothing works..card is not activated, I cannot create an account just as before. Please test your card before assuming all is fine because it's not necessarily the case. 

@AmyJ307031 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. We’d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if you’d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, “AARPLakeisha” into the “Send to” box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@md4192 Yes we are aware of the unfortunate issue Barclays is being faced with. A system outage has caused excessive call volume and hold times. Please keep trying. 

0 Kudos

I did same thing prepaid at chase for the 20 th now do not know if paid or not Also never got new card to check or make payment before due date.

Contributor

Totally agree. How to stop this transaction? Is there a  phone/ email contact ?

Community Concierge

Please visit www.aarpcreditcard.com/barclays for the most up-to-date information on the program, the transition, and key dates.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have spent the entire week trying to get a human being at Barclay. I went to pay off my AARP Chase card, which I have have for decades, only to find it was closed. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A BARCLAY CARD. So now I cannot pay off my balance and don't have a Barclay number to pay it off there. And, I can't even get any information from Barclay because I don't have a card number. I am about to cancel my AARP membership. I have never seen anything like this mess. Shame on you, AARP. You did your members dirty and should apologize to a. of us

Community Concierge

@evannrichards I'm so sorry to hear about your long hold times with Barclays, I completely understand your frustration. The phone # for members who did not receive a new credit card from Barclays is 866-677-1563. When the automated system prompts you to enter a card #, simply say "I don't know" and you will be asked to provide alternate info instead. We appreciate your patience as Barclays works through higher than normal call volumes. 

0 Kudos

I want to know if my rates will be THE SAME - OR LOWER?

Also nobody seems to have mentioned that this is a change from a VISA card - accepted almost anywhere - to a MasterCard which isn't! It is also not a USA company! I want to know about my PRIVACY?

Like everyone else I am not happy!

@Ingledsva Thank you for taking the time to reach out. Some of Barclays’ customer-facing channels have been reported as down and/or experiencing extended hold times. Some customers cannot service any of their requests online or via telephony. We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again tomorrow. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You are being way too senseless on this debacle! I've been calling every day and letting it on speaker-phone for 4 days. Twice a live voice came on and said my card could not be processed - hold for a "Relationship Manager" - who never did answer. I will not accept this change to Barclays - if it ever happens. And I  now have no confidence in AARP being good for senior citizens. AARP should have the power to tell Barclays to solve this problem NOW! I'm through with Barclays and AARP!!!!!

Contributor

Three (3) hours! That's how long it took me to connect with Barclays customer service. Then I found out that they mailed my card on the 15th, while my existing Chase card was inactivated on the 16th.  Ten business days later I still haven't received my new Barclays card. Additionally, I had set up automatic monthly bill payments on my AARP Chase card, some of which are due quite soon. Will AARP repair my credit score? Will they compensate me for my time? This is really a fiasco!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP