Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Periodic Contributor

Hartford insurance

I am more than a little disgusted with the AARP relationship with Hartford Insurance.  I got my annual bill to renew in the mail, and the price increase was ridiculous.  I went on the Hartford site to pare down anything I could from the policy and found a user interface that is only partially useful. I got notice that some of the changes I wanted to make required speaking with an agent, who would contact me within 48 hours.  Nice of them.  I'll hand around waiting for them. I wanted to drop collision on an older vehicle since the premium was nearly what I would receive as compensation for the vehicle even if it were totaled.  No place to do that on the site.  I looked for a phone number, chatbot, email address to no avail.  They clearly want to insure you, but they don't want to have to speak with you. I find it difficult to believe that AARP maintains and thereby recommends doing business with this company. Evidently the days of putting faith or trust in a vendor because of an AARP relationship or endorsement is a thing of the past.

Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear youโ€™re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. -Carla S.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I did contact member relations and they suggested I post my concerns here.  Kind of circular is it not?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our insurance went up 31% as well. I just got off the phone with Hartford and with AARP customer relations.   There is no justification for this kind of increase. Hartford was ecstatic of their financial performance in 2023. How did they respond to their customers? With a record premium increase.  AARP needs to call Hartford on the carpet and demand an immediate response to AARP and its Hartford insured member.  Here is the link to their financial performance.

https://newsroom.thehartford.com/newsroom-home/news-releases/news-releases-details/2024/The-Hartford...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Seems there are alternatives - right?  I donโ€™t have The Hartford and mine went up as well - all them - Auto, Home and Umbrella.  

Good thing we have choices.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

29% increase here. Buck up, it's inflation & the cost of doing business.  Hartford & others aren't going to run on less profit. 

Contributor

According to Washington DC ... it is not inflation and the economy is great!

If you look at my link you will see hartford had a very successful financial year in 2023. Please take a look and then return to this thread with your comments

https://newsroom.thehartford.com/newsroom-home/news-releases/news-releases-details/2024/The-Hartford...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@chap44252 

Yes,I read that before - so what, insurance companies are in the business to perform a service and they are allowed to make a profit just like other businesses.  I donโ€™t know of a non-profit auto insurance company - I mentioned AMICA somewhere in one these Hartford auto insurance threads - they are owned by their policy holders - in fact you can pick the category of investor/policy holder and get dividends.

AMICA- types of policies - traditional and dividend

CNBC 03/23/2024 - Why auto insurance rates are skyrocketing in the U.S.

ANY consumer can buy a product or service.  Auto Insurance is a service for those that need it - We also have the right to shop around to see if there is a product that meets your needs.

Still too high in premium - take on more of the risk yourself and raise your deductible or drop things you donโ€™t particularly need.

Think about it, EVERYTHING on your statement of cover has gone up -

• fixing it
  • replacing it
  • replacing what might have been stolen inside the vehicle
  • the cost of towing, if you have that coverage
  •  the same is true if you have a rental for the times when your car is being repairs
  • medical cost have gone up
  • there are many people driving around that a UN-insured or UNDER-insurer and if your have that coverage then it has gone up
  • then there is the โ€œother carโ€ or property that has to be considered too - if the insured is at fault or heck you could just back into something somewhere - without even a ticket attached to the accident - but your car still has to be fixed.

My comment was made to state a truth and a freedom - look for coverage elsewhere.

I have NEVER seen a promise of low (lowest) premiums on any of the AARP branded insurance products of any type.  

Like I have said over and over in these type of gripping post - AARP does not have any oversight or even any pull on one of their branded product pricing - that goes for premiums too on all types of insurance products.  

You might be getting a discount if you buy all the pre-requisite coverage options - but it is hard to see if one does not do an analysis or exactly the same coverage somewhere else.

Who do you think pays for things like 

• disappearing deductible
  • new car replacement 

The Hartford says that you get a 10% discount for just being an AARP member.  Is that shown on your new policy sheet?

There is an auto insurance calculator on their site - I didnโ€™t look closely at it but it is there.

Just because one has a perfect driving record doesnโ€™t mean that you still donโ€™t get assessed the replacement cost of others that in the pool with you - 

Iโ€™m done

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello,

It sounds frustrating dealing with the hartford insurance renewal process through AARP. The substantial price increase and lack of user friendly options to adjust your policy online are disappointing. It's frustrating when needed changes require speaking with an agent and waiting for a callback. You wanted to drop collision on an older vehicle but couldn't find a way to do it on their website. The difficulty in reaching them for support or making changes undermines the trust in their service, especially considering the AARP relationship. It's understandable to question the value of the AARP endorsement in this case. Consider reaching out directly to AARP with your concerns about the Hartford Insurance experience.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

AARP Memorial Day Membership Sale

More From AARP