Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP not monitoring/vetting relationship with UnitedHealthcare adequately.

Contributor

AARP not monitoring/vetting relationship with UnitedHealthcare adequately.

I chose the AARP UnitedHealthCare medicare supplement plans (Part G and Part D) because I trusted that AARP had vetted them adequately and actively monitored their performance.   I did this in spite of the general bad opinion my neighbors and doctors had about United Healthcare's non retirement coverage.   I relied on neighbors that used the AARP related plans who spoke highly of the coverage and support.

Now, I'm beginning to have concerns about United Healthcare's relationship with AARP.  

I have been unable to get a senior Pneumonia vaccine for over 2 and a half weeks because of the recent compromise of United Healthcare.  Even though the news focuses on the prescription coverage, their outage also affects the ability to get approval from Medicare Part B.

In addition, I just read that the Justice Department has opened an independent investigation of UHC unrelated to this incident.

The current compromise is at least the second compromised of their systems in the last 6 months.

It feels like United Healthcare is falling apart.   I worry that my personal information has been compromised by this compromise even if UHC is currently denying that it was.

AARP needs to actively review their relationship with UHC and its ability to perform.  It specifically needs to review the apparent lack of computer security best practices at UHC and its parent company.

AARP is powerful enough that they should be able to impact UHC's operations.   I relied on that fact when I initially chose to sign up with AARP's UHC Medicare supplement plans.

I hope senior management at AARP looks at this post and steps in to save the relationship with UHC or to find a better partner.   If they don't, the risk AARP's reputation for having quality partnerships.

Bill

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) @bl80599212 , I was wondering IF the Ransomware Attack had been resolved. I am assuming it is the SAME attack I posted about in the SCAMS FORUM here.  ➡️***  Ransomware Attacks Cause Pharmacy Prescription Delays (AARP Article) ***⬅️  Gosh, I will be needing a "refill" NEXT MONTH [April 2024]. Hope things are back to normal by then!  😎

[*** @bl80599212 wrote:

I chose the AARP UnitedHealthCare medicare supplement plans (Part G and Part D) because I trusted that AARP had vetted them adequately and actively monitored their performance.   I did this in spite of the general bad opinion my neighbors and doctors had about United Healthcare's non retirement coverage.   I relied on neighbors that used the AARP related plans who spoke highly of the coverage and support.

Now, I'm beginning to have concerns about United Healthcare's relationship with AARP.  

I have been unable to get a senior Pneumonia vaccine for over 2 and a half weeks because of the recent compromise of United Healthcare.  Even though the news focuses on the prescription coverage, their outage also affects the ability to get approval from Medicare Part B.

In addition, I just read that the Justice Department has opened an independent investigation of UHC unrelated to this incident.

The current compromise is at least the second compromised of their systems in the last 6 months.

It feels like United Healthcare is falling apart.   I worry that my personal information has been compromised by this compromise even if UHC is currently denying that it was.

AARP needs to actively review their relationship with UHC and its ability to perform.  It specifically needs to review the apparent lack of computer security best practices at UHC and its parent company.

AARP is powerful enough that they should be able to impact UHC's operations.   I relied on that fact when I initially chose to sign up with AARP's UHC Medicare supplement plans.

I hope senior management at AARP looks at this post and steps in to save the relationship with UHC or to find a better partner.   If they don't, the risk AARP's reputation for having quality partnerships.

Bill ***]

Contributor

I am glad  you posted that message it outlined my same concerns.  We received a 5 pp letter this week saying how UHC had the right to use our data for marketing and sales-- forget patient privacy.  Plus the cyber attacks and lackk of coverage for just about anything, I mean we literally never get anything for our UHC part B payments, except maybe the gym but not sure if that is Medicare.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers, @NicoleRetired2020FL. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) Hey Diana G. @AARPConsumerCare , where are you pulling this OLD username from? This was one of my OLD usernames. This concerns me.

[*** @AARPConsumerCare wrote:

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers, @NicoleRetired2020FL. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G. ***]

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

I apologize for any confusion, @SpringIsHereSoHappy. My reply was sent with your old username by default, I've reported this issue. - Diana G.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) Thanks Diana G. @AARPConsumerCare , NOT your fault = this site has "issues"  🙄  And I will pass on your offer as OUR FEEDBACK never changes anything.  🙄  I was chatting with @bl80599212 about the Ransomware, that was all. Have an AWESOME day/night  😎

[*** DIANA G. @AARPConsumerCare wrote:

I apologize for any confusion, @SpringIsHereSoHappy. My reply was sent with your old username by default, I've reported this issue. - Diana G. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think the pharmacies have worked out a temporary workaround for prescription drug refills, so you'll probably be able to get it.  The Medicare Part B stuff hasn't made the news as far as I can tell.  That could have a big impact if it doesn't resolve soon.    But, the temporary workaround for the pharmacies may not be sustainable.  From what I've read, there are huge reimbursements that the pharmacies are waiting on.   Given that many of the nation-wide pharmacies are having serious financial difficulties, I'm not sure they can continue to fill prescriptions without being paid by the insurance carrier.

Contributor

I would add that I don't think people should panic about this situation yet, but they should be concerned.   I hope that other people provide feedback about their concerns to AARP.   Hopefully if they do, AARP will be able to give us accurate information about the situation instead of the current spin that seems to be coming from UHC.   I also hope AARP will communicate the steps it is taking to review the situation and their ongoing relationship.

The ransomware attack shouldn't have taken multiple weeks to resolve if UHC was doing effective backups of their systems and data.   According to the news/rumors, they chose to pay $22 million to the attackers, but then the attackers vanished without restoring the data.  UHC currently is saying that it will be resolved by mid-March.   That sounds a little like when you show up to a restaurant and they tell you it is a 20  minute wait - a number small enough that you tend to put up with it.

Community Concierge

Hi bl80599212. For information on the Ransomware Attack Affecting the U.S. Healthcare System, please click on https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2024/ransomware-attack-prescriptions.html  If you have any questions, I'm always here to help. - Stephen K.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for the link and the article did contain some useful info.  But, I saw nothing about what AARP is doing to investigate and ensure this doesn't happen again.

The article was pretty generic and tended to refer to the issue as more of an industry issue.   It also doesn't mention medicare part b effects.   People that need vaccines, oxygen machines, CPAPs, etc are also affected.

I'll keep monitoring the article to see if there are any updates.

I encourage AARP to treat this situation very seriously and get involved with the solution.

Bill

Community Concierge

Hi Bill. Thanks for your comments. I have taken note of everything you have said, and I will pass it upward. - Stephen K.

Contributor

I would llike to see that reply as we have the same concerns. Did you report on that 5 pp letter UHC sent telling us they were going to use our data no matter what, or you could write them  (who writes any more) and beg them not to sell every thing they know about you.  AARP has dropped the ball, or maybe benefits too much from this relationship. You should be defending consumers not acting like an insurance company, otherwise membership is a sham.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I see AARP as having two major roles here.   The first is to encourage as many workarounds as possible until the situation is resolved.  The Part B stuff feels like the impact is under appreciated.  While things are crazy I doubt that AARP should do much other than request some status updates.  Much  more could impact the speed of getting back online negatively.

But, longer term is where AARP should be exerting its power and influence.  There are many red flags showing up recently with UHC.   AARP needs to get ahead of this.   I'm sure UHC values their partnership and won't want it to go away.   This is the time to put pressure on them.   I think AARP should consider hiring some independent auditors to review the IT security, backup infrastructure, and contingency planning of UHC.   This issue is too important to rely solely on in-house expertise.   It's clear that UHC is failing with their in-house security environment.  External eyes need to look at it.  UHC will probably resist.  AARP should exert their power here to avoid just getting lip service from UHC.

Good luck.   It won't be easy.

Stephen, I really appreciate that you have commented that you "will pass it upward".   That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Bill

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My source for updates - 

Kaiser Health News 03/08/2024 - Biden Team, UnitedHealth Struggle to Restore Paralyzed Billing Syste...

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) Thanks @GailL1 ! Have you or anyone you know have had to PAY THEIR PHARMACY? Do you think MOVING FORWARD this can be PREVENTED? Gosh, I "cringe" at all that medical data out there for all of us  😱

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

My source for updates - 

Kaiser Health News 03/08/2024 - Biden Team, UnitedHealth Struggle to Restore Paralyzed Billing Syste...

***]

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

I haven’t had any problem thus far and I don’t think any of my providers have either.  They may not used this pay service.

As to whether it will happen again - yes it will - it is happening everywhere not just with these particular health care systems.  Lots of hospitals have recently been hacked - this one is just BIG because it effect so many providers and pharmacies - just gonna take a while to straighten it all out.  

As the article says, the government and this UHC subsidiary inb the processing area are working together to try to work out some way for these providers to get their money.  

I would just double check on any ABN that one of your providers may want you to sign for a service to make sure it will be covered.  

I don’t have a Part D plan in the traditional sense; nor do I have MA plan or a Medigap policy - I have other type coverage.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/9/24) Thanks @GailL1  😎

[*** GAIL @GailL1 wrote:

@SpringIsHereSoHappy 

I haven’t had any problem thus far and I don’t think any of my providers have either.  They may not used this pay service.

As to whether it will happen again - yes it will - it is happening everywhere not just with these particular health care systems.  Lots of hospitals have recently been hacked - this one is just BIG because it effect so many providers and pharmacies - just gonna take a while to straighten it all out.  

As the article says, the government and this UHC subsidiary inb the processing area are working together to try to work out some way for these providers to get their money.  

I would just double check on any ABN that one of your providers may want you to sign for a service to make sure it will be covered.  

I don’t have a Part D plan in the traditional sense; nor do I have MA plan or a Medigap policy - I have other type coverage. ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

I received the new rates for my supplemental health insurance and it has gone up 15%. My husband’s went up over 12% despite enrollment discounts. I called UHC to get an explanation and all I got was “there are many factors that determine the rate”. I get that but I wanted to know in general, how much has health insurance gone up in the last year. Maybe in the last 3 years. So what is AARP doing to keep costs down? Will my husband and I get another combined $600 increase next year.  Please question these rates. I was told one factor was the Medicare deductible. What good are the reductions in Medicare costs if supplements skyrocket out of control? Is this another inflationary cost?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@janices634681 

Medigap policies or Medicare Supplemental plans are NOT health insurance no matter the insurer or the plan chosen - they are financial protection plans.  They make NO health care decisions, they just pay what Medicare does not pay based on the Medigap plan you have chosen.

States are the ones that regulate the rates of Medigap plans - If you are in a state that has expanded the guaranteed issue period where people can change plans during certain times of the year or if the state has expanded their use to those who are under 65 but have Medicare because they have been declared disabled - then rates in those states are higher for everybody partly because of these benefits.  

Then there are those areas where health care cost to Medicare are higher - Medicare pays a higher rate in those areas and thus the Medigap also has to pay the higher rate cause they pay what Medicare does not pay based on the Medicare negotiated rate - For Part B expenses that means that Medicare pays 80% of this cost and the Medigap insurer of your plan pays the remaining 20%.  

With the number of baby boomers in the system to date and still growing - just hope that your pool of Medigap beneficiaries stay as healthy as possible - cause you are sharing in this cost.

I hope you don't have a plan that has been discontinued - like Plan F cause there are no younger ones coming onboard because this plan has been discontinued by Medicare - thus the ones that are there are getting older (and probably sicker).

Many times your states insurance dept will have info on MediGAP plans and their rules of coverage and rate approvals- you might want to find out and stay informed.

Also know how your particular MediGAP plan is rated - A lot of UHC MediGAP plans are community rated, if that is the brand you have.  

Some links for you - 

Medicare.gov - Learn How Medigap Works

Medicare.gov - Get Medigap Costs

Medicare.gov - MediGAP Basics - 2023 - Choosing a Medigap policy 

(page 18 discusses the rating methods of Community Rated, Issue Age Rated and Attainted Age Related)

Community Concierge

Hi Janice! We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with one of our benefit providers. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. -Sue J

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) @bl80599212 , have you done a SEARCH here to "find" the YEARS of complaints posted on this site? If NOT, read them and you will see AARP only cares about the money they get for the ads they "flood" members with. Anyway, good luck!  😎

[*** @bl80599212 wrote:

I would add that I don't think people should panic about this situation yet, but they should be concerned.   I hope that other people provide feedback about their concerns to AARP.   Hopefully if they do, AARP will be able to give us accurate information about the situation instead of the current spin that seems to be coming from UHC.   I also hope AARP will communicate the steps it is taking to review the situation and their ongoing relationship.

The ransomware attack shouldn't have taken multiple weeks to resolve if UHC was doing effective backups of their systems and data.   According to the news/rumors, they chose to pay $22 million to the attackers, but then the attackers vanished without restoring the data.  UHC currently is saying that it will be resolved by mid-March.   That sounds a little like when you show up to a restaurant and they tell you it is a 20  minute wait - a number small enough that you tend to put up with it. ***]

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/8/24) @bl80599212 , thanks for the UPDATE. The AARP Article had stated WE HAD TO PAY pharmacies!!!  😱😱😱  Lol, fingers crossed I DO NOT. Sad the US is busy saving other countries but seem to NOT care about us Seniors. And AARP is a waste of time and space. I only come here to chat in the AARP Grief & Loss Forum. Good luck!!!  😎

[*** @bl80599212 wrote:

I think the pharmacies have worked out a temporary workaround for prescription drug refills, so you'll probably be able to get it.  The Medicare Part B stuff hasn't made the news as far as I can tell.  That could have a big impact if it doesn't resolve soon.    But, the temporary workaround for the pharmacies may not be sustainable.  From what I've read, there are huge reimbursements that the pharmacies are waiting on.   Given that many of the nation-wide pharmacies are having serious financial difficulties, I'm not sure they can continue to fill prescriptions without being paid by the insurance carrier. ***]

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP