Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Budget Did Not Honor Rental - Stranded in Pittsburgh PA at 11:00 PM

Regular Contributor

Budget Did Not Honor Rental - Stranded in Pittsburgh PA at 11:00 PM

Using the AARP link and going to the Expedia, Inc. website, I reserved a midsize SUV for January 10-17, 2023.  Not only did I call twice to confirm the rental, I actually received an email the day of rental and Budget confirmed that I was all set, just pick up the keys.

When I arrived at the airport desk for Budget at 10:50 PM, they had no cars.  They sold the car to someone else at a higher rate.

I have communicated my dispute to Expedia, Avis Budget Group, Avis Budget Group CEO, Pennsylvania's Attorney General and also the Allegheny County Airport Authority.  Leaving someone stranded at 11 oclock at night with no transportation is depraved indifference to their safety.  Not only that, it added to the cost of my trip substantially.

I had to stay overnight in a hotel without a reservation and Uber back and forth the next morning to get a car from Alamo. 

I have shared my story with AARP's legal counsel and I sincerely hope that AARP discontinues their association with Avis Budget Group.  My case, and others, are evidence that they are not honoring their commitment to AARP and are knowingly leaving people stranded.

Read the Google Reviews for Budget at Pittsburgh International Airport.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

•            Description of your issue
  •            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

That is not good customer service at all...They should have called around to see if any vehicles were available or put you up at their expense for the night and give you a voucher for food for your inconvenience ...I hope you have luck in getting some sort of closure and satisfaction from this company ..Others who read about your plight should take heed as this could happen to them if they travel and rent a car..I guess you have to read that fine print to see what it really involves when you choose to rent a vehicle from them...

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

No, I'm not going to sit back and just "take it" while Avis Budget Group takes advantage of us by creating reservations, only intending to honor them if NO ONE ELSE COMES ALONG AND RENTS THE VEHICLE AT A HIGHER PRICE.  

Right now I have to exhaust my 60-day resolution period with Expedia under their Terms of Use.  After that, I have to take action through arbitration or small claims court.  I am watching to see what AARP does about this since they are involved in the transaction.

There is no way that AARP should stand for this.  If they are going to be a representative body, then let them do so.  I've written to their legal counsel, so let's see his response.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text.

•            Description of your issue
  •            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have called in the complaint to which I am currently awaiting a reply.  I also wrote to your legal counsel, as per my original post.

AARP needs to take drastic action to preserve its representation with members.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Tony, here to help! We certainly understand your concern regarding the  service you experienced with Budget Car Rental. In order for me to be able to check on the status of your complaint, I will need some additional information. At your convenience, please send a private message using this link 

https://m.me/aarp and provide the following details:
- AARP membership number (or home address)
- Best email address & telephone #
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That system for private messaging does not work.  My member ID is [edited for your online safety and forwarded

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Please can you provide your name so I can confirm that you are the right member.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

edited and forwarded privately

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Wrote to both AARP's legal council as well as CEO about this situation.  Ignored.

If you truly represent this population, then do so.  Otherwise, I will hold AARP responsible for this disaster.  I am not going away quietly as you would like.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Everyone needs to know that even a WELL WRITTEN LETTER to AARP's legal counsel and CEO at their Washington DC address produced zero results.  Both individuals should resign.

I would like to ask for the resignation of the legal counsel and CEO.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi! Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention, I will be more than happy to review this for you further. Please send me a private message here https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage 

Please include the following details so I am able to review your case to determine if this was escalated appropriately. After I have received this information, I will contact you via email following my review of your account. 

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

As I have indicated previously, the private messaging DOES NOT WORK and that system DOES NOT RECOGNIZE YOUR USER NAME.

Time to go to court.

0 Kudos

Tony, I'm very interested in following this situation to its conclusion. @MariamaA859467  seems to be a bot who shows up late, is eager to "apologize for the inconvenience", but nothing more. I hope @AARPBrittanyS was able to do better. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The link I provided to you is not the same as what the previous representative provided. I have sent you a private message requesting the information. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP