Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP/Hartford Auto Policy CANCELED without notice

AARP/Hartford Auto Policy CANCELED without notice

While obtaining my Quote for Auto Insurance from Hartford I was given the option to save money by enrolling in TrueLane, an App that monitors and scores your driving performance for safety. You obtain the discount immediately and it is adjusted later for unsafe driving scores if necessary. To register on the App you must wait for Hartford to issue you a code or something like that. I contacted their service twice asking for the information and never received what I needed to register on the TrueLane App. About one month later I got a bill for $65 which is the same as the proposed discount I would've received. The bill did have a note that I would be canceled if unpaid. I tried once more to get them to help me register but no response. After I returned home after a 2-week trip I opened a letter from Hartford. This letter was written in all CAPS sounding curt and angry informing me my Auto policy has been CANCELED and was effective 8 days ago. So, I was driving my car Uninsured for six days. This is because I had not paid the $65 yet. There you have it my friends. This is the lessons learned about Hartford Auto. 1)The TrueLane discount savings App is difficult to setup and not well supported. 2)Hartford Auto is intolerant of any past due account, regardless of the circumstances. 3)Hartford Auto cannot be trusted to take care of their customers' needs and puts them at risk with their abrupt actions. 4)Hartford Auto is rude, inadequate and unprofessional in their communication with customers. 5)Hartford Auto will CANCEL policies without warning. These are Facts, therefore I cannot in good conscience recommend the AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance benefit promoted on this website by AARP. This brings me to another unfortunate conclusion. Services advertised by AARP are not always vetted on behalf of the retired community and their specific needs that this organization represents.

My mother also had hers lapse for some reason and they would not renew or write her another policy despite a near perfect driving and payment history. That was over a year ago. Today I realized that my verification card expired Nov 27th and went to print a new one. No policy on file. Never received a notice that payment was due or that the policy was cancelled.  I am just no longer covered apparently.   I will call and verify, but doubt they will renew now. I guess I will follow my mom to another company.  It does not seem that The Hartford really wants our business.  I had the TrueLane app in the beginning, but was never told I had to keep using it. 

Contributor

I'm canceling mine on Monday and going back to State Farm, I called state farm on Friday, and they told me to call back on Monday.  They knew I was going back.  Hartford quoted me one amount and now it's a lot more, a lot more 😞 .  I've only had Hartford since Dec 21st 2023, lol.  Wow, what a bunch of scammer 😞 .

I'm glad I am reading these reviews. It also seems the insurance industry will be going full rogue on many people. Some are flying drones over homes, and if they do not like what they see,they are canceling people; sometimes with due process, and sometimes not. My friend is in the  insurance business and also said if the house roof is a certain age, will do the same. You may find it becoming difficult to switch companies as well, if the home is not to their standards. Making it more difficult to be a home owner.

You will be happy and own nothing. WEF,...on their web  site. They are pushing forward, but many people are too busy watching sports and on autopilot.

Bronze Conversationalist

@CarolF857091 Can you shoot at the drones?

Contributor

Hartford just screwed me over as well.   Was on auto-pay for my auto policy.  Paid in May.   A few days later got an email for $41 due (my wife's Tru-Lane discount app never quite worked right, so didn't trigger the expected discount).  The notice said "If you have made a recent payment, thank you.  You may disregard this message."   I disregarded, especially since I was on auto-pay.    Today, we are checking credit card activity and notice an $800 refund from Hartford?  Huh?

Come to find out, Hartford wanted me to manually trigger the $41 payment and cancelled us!   For 2 months!!!   The money was for the main 6-month policy previously paid.    Call to billing was not productive.   The nice girl said Hartford gets burned on renewing cancelled policies.   She has tried several times to force it thru underwriting for other folks, with no success.   I told her if she has to do this more than once, Hartford has a systems problem.   I asked about why no cancellation notice and was told a letter got sent 3 weeks ago.   I never received.    

Obviously can never use Hartford again.  AARP, please review your relationship and marketing for Hartford.    This is not good.    If you can't help, I may need to look to AMAC.

Allan Hoffer

502-593-9687

Periodic Contributor

Hi @CH581814  ! We are sorry to hear about your experience with AARP Auto Insurance provided by The Hartford. We would love to look further into this issue. At your convenience, 

please give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name
  • AARP Membership # (or home address)
  • Phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of your issue and when did this take place

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Periodic Contributor

I dont know how else to break into this chat service, so I am using this reply option.  I have been with AARP/Hartford since 2007.  I am 68 YO with spotless record.  I am considering buying a Tesla Model Y .  When I called Hartford , you would think that I was asking them to ensure a Bugati to be used in transporting drugs and racing in the Grand Prix.  I waited on hold while the (helpful) agent talked to an anonymous "underwriter", who ultimately told her that I was "denied" because they paid out on some damage for the suspension of my 2010 Legacy (from striking a pothole).  Furthermore PA has a lot of potholes and Teslas are expensive to repair .

Given this BS excuse, and knowing that EVs are the future, maybe AARP should consider a more forward looking, responsive , and transparent insurance carrier.  It would also help if someone from AARP (rather than a Hartford rep) would answer the phone when we call with a complaint.  

Community Concierge

Hi @MOORE6! We are sorry to hear about your experience with AARP Auto & Home Insurance provided by Hartford. We would love to look further into this issue. At your convenience, 

Please call us at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your informing us about your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Periodic Contributor

[Please do not post personal details in the public area of the community. If you wish to provide personal details, call the number, or use the Private Messaging feature on the community]

i have been trying to get my record corrected - it shows an “at fault” claim for suspension damage (pothole) on my 2010 Legacy. In fact it was not a pothole and it was not my fault . All of the detail is in your asjuster’s files and in my numerous attempts to contact Hartford and AARP.

Periodic Contributor

I am still waiting for AARP or Hartford to respond to my concern  

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

We're sorry to hear you’re having trouble with The Hartford, @MOORE6. We are listening and would like the chance to help as soon as possible. Please visit https://help.aarp.org/s/article/contact-aarp to chat, text, or speak with a representative who can get you in touch with our Member Relations team. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well my problem to me seems more serious than that I can't afford one of those nice cars I have a very old completely paid for vehicle and I'm being charged $1,500 for my policy which is completely ridiculous I'm going to cancel if somebody won't help me lower my rates

Indeed.. I'm having the same problem.. I'm convinced that hat HEART FORD'S discounts are imaginary.. and I was quoted on price, and then charged a much much higher rate....  One that I cannot afford living on a fixed income... I am VERY VERY Disappointed in AARP AND Hartford...  

Regular Contributor

Hi @JJCC6391 ! We are sorry to hear about your experience with AARP Auto & Home Insurance provided by The Hartford. We would love to look further into this issue. At your convenience, 

please give us a call at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an Escalation. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Full name

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Periodic Contributor

I discovered on these chats that auto insurance discount program is no longer in place. I must have missed any and all notifications about this, or there weren't any! I see more complaints about this on the AARP web site but not on The Hartford site. Very poor communications.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@bc6743  The AARP® Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford is still a benefit, and offers savings and benefits designed to reward members for being safer, more experienced drivers. No-cost, no-obligation quotes are available, and added savings if you bundle your home and auto policies are available. Fore more information, please go to our Member Benefits page: https://www.aarp.org/membership/benefits/insurance/hartford-auto/ or call The Hartford at 1-800-684-5518. If I can answer anything about membership or benefits, please let me know!  Jodee R. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Gee, this happened to me as well....I have no auto liability and can not even get car registraion

now. I am retired and on a fixed budget. Very disturbed.

I hate the app. It records that I am driving when I am a passenger in someone else's vehicle. It has said I used my phone while it has been in my purse. Most importantly I was  told by 2 different employees that I can delete the app after 6 months. Well I renewed my policy and was told they updated there terms and now everybody has to keep an app that does not even work properly FOREVER to get the stupid discount!!!  I even talked to a supervisor explaining this is NOT what I agreed to and was just told 'OH WELL" and if you uninstall it you have to pay  more money!! 

Periodic Contributor

Our granddaughter had one of those app's for her car (different Company)  We live out in the far suburban and she keep getting dinged for making wide turns.... lol  this is not Chicago's tight corner's lol...

John

It would not be so bad if it worked properly. It does not track right and the fact that it has to track so much info  about you besides driving is ridiculous.  

Surprise folks, they are discontinuing Trulane and the discount. I found out when I bought a new car. Nothing like a little notice..........................................

Periodic Contributor

I just discovered same, somehow I missed any and all notifications, or there weren't any.😢

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

When I signed up, they asked me if I had a smartphone, I didn't & suggested they give me a discount for NOT having one of those distracting devices. 

Periodic Contributor

😁

0 Kudos
Contributor

Same here!  I just signed up yesterday 12/21/2023. In a way I'm happy about not using the app, but not happy about my premium maybe going up  =(

0 Kudos

When?  I just signed up today, 6/21/23. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP