Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

"Community"

 

In looking over the AARP website I ran across this:   

https://community.aarp.org/?intcmp=AE-HP-FTR-COMM

In scrolling to the very bottom LEFT of that link it lists "COMMUNITIES" as follows:

COMMUNITIES

I don't see White or Caucasian Community and am wondering why.  Anybody?

I would like to add that I see that whole thing as very devisive.  I mean we can't communicate under one race these days...i.e. the "Human" race.  Sad.

 

Just one of those things that made me go...Hmmmmm.

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
3,612 Views
13
Report
Reply
Recognized Social Butterfly




@sunluvngal wrote:

 

COMMUNITIES

I don't see White or Caucasian Community and am wondering why.  Anybody?

 

I don't see Heterosexual Community either but I don't wonder why.  Heterosexual privilege!  LOL

2,443 Views
1
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@aruzinsky wrote:



@sunluvngal wrote:

 

COMMUNITIES

I don't see White or Caucasian Community and am wondering why.  Anybody?

 

I don't see Heterosexual Community either but I don't wonder why.  Heterosexual privilege!  LOL


sunluvngal:

I care so I do wonder why, but then there are those that don't care so of course they aren't going to wonder why.  Being Heterosexual has nothing to do with race/ethnicity, which is what the list refers to that is the reason for my thread.

 

Thank you for your input.🙂

 

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
0 Kudos
2,384 Views
0
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:

I don't see White or Caucasian Community and am wondering why.  Anybody?

 

Just one of those things that made me go...Hmmmmm.


As a person that has enjoyed White Privilege as you have, I find nothing wrong with having designated communities within these discussion boards for those that HAVE NOT enjoyed White Privilege as you have.

 

There are experiences that people in these communities have encountered that have no equivalent in your life's experiences, @sunluvngal ...... because you have enjoyed White Privilege all your life.

 

To complain now that you, as a White individual, feels the "sting" of racism is beyond the pale.

 

To give a forum to those that have actually felt discrimination and racism is NOT divisive, it is helpful.

 

 

0 Kudos
2,809 Views
5
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

@nctarheel   You said:  As a person that has enjoyed White Privilege as you have,

 @sunluvngal ...... because you have enjoyed White Privilege all your life.

 

LOL  You really should know what you're talking about before making a comment like that.  I'm far from what anyone could or would consider having enjoyed White Privilege!  You assume wrong, as usual.

 

My initial comment wasn't a complaint about certain groups of color being given a forum, just that AARP was showing it's racist bias by not listing a forum for ALL colors, and yep that includes white.  It's obvious that one doesn't need to be white to be a racist...look around ya for goodness sake.  

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
2,727 Views
3
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:

@nctarheel   You said:  As a person that has enjoyed White Privilege as you have,

 @sunluvngal ...... because you have enjoyed White Privilege all your life.

 

I'm far from what anyone could or would consider having enjoyed White Privilege! 


I am really confused now, @sunluvngal .

 

In your above comment you state "I'm far from what anyone could or would consider having enjoyed White Privilege".

 

But, in a comment made earlier on 6/30/21 at 9:35am, you made the comment. "I understand perfectly how you feel about appreciating a forum where WE "as old "WHITE" "CAUCASIAN", "NON-MINORITY" might vent our frustrations".

 

In the earlier comment, you use three descriptors to make sure that readers are aware of your ethnic group (WHITE, CAUCASIAN, NON-MINORITY), but then, in response to my comment, you state you have not enjoyed White Privilege.

 

As anyone who is White enjoys White Privilege, your conflicting statements are very confusing.

0 Kudos
2,681 Views
2
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:

@nctarheel   You said:  As a person that has enjoyed White Privilege as you have,

 @sunluvngal ...... because you have enjoyed White Privilege all your life.

 

I'm far from what anyone could or would consider having enjoyed White Privilege! 


I am really confused now, @sunluvngal .

 

In your above comment you state "I'm far from what anyone could or would consider having enjoyed White Privilege".

 

But, in a comment made earlier on 6/30/21 at 9:35am, you made the comment. "I understand perfectly how you feel about appreciating a forum where WE "as old "WHITE" "CAUCASIAN", "NON-MINORITY" might vent our frustrations".

 

In the earlier comment, you use three descriptors to make sure that readers are aware of your ethnic group (WHITE, CAUCASIAN, NON-MINORITY), but then, in response to my comment, you state you have not enjoyed White Privilege.

 

As anyone who is White enjoys White Privilege, your conflicting statements are very confusing.


 

 

😊  Thank you, that explains your assumptions.

 

It would seem that you believe that ALL whites are privileged, simply because of their color.  See, I think oprah, bama, Snoop Dog, lebron James, biden, gates, Trump, zuckerburg and bezos etc are privileged.  However, I don't believe it's JUST because of their color.  I could be wrong, of course. 🤔   

 

I repeat, nobody should or would consider me privileged.  Ummm just try opening your eyes and look around you at those that are truly considered privileged...privilege is not color specific.

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
0 Kudos
2,661 Views
1
Report
Reply
Moderator
Moderator

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

 

Remember to treat each other with respect and be aware:

 

AARP Politics Forum Sunsetting Frequently Asked Questions 





YOU MUST RESPECT OTHER POSTERS EVEN IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM



Also, please be welcoming of new posters, even when you argue with their positions.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
2,655 Views
0
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Think that they are all gone now - even the sub-categories.  Perhaps just reducing the number of categories and sub-categories.  I don't know.

With a site with so few commenters outside of the GAMES, REWARDS, ROCK N ROLL, etc. seems they would want the few remaining discussion areas to be widely attractive to everybody just to keep things interesting with whatever participation. Getting different perspectives when applicable whether by race, sex, age, whatever always makes thing interesting - how are we all to learn about each other if general type post categories are somewhat segregated?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
2,782 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

Well, It looks like the powers that be on here don't care to address this issue. I'm not surprised because unfortunately I'm afraid that AARP has become part of the problem, regarding the division and climate of today, not part of the solution. 

 

So those of us that do care about this issue, will just have to carry on the fight against the caving in to the bias and racism that exist among many people, including people of a color other than white. 

 

God bless US ALL! 👍🙏

 

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
0 Kudos
3,362 Views
0
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

There is also a Veterans, Military and Families Voices Community -

All of these are just special interest stories and information for different classifications of groups - but anybody still has access to them, if interested.

 

Is there something of interest that is predominately just for the White or Caucasian group, what would it be?  I can't think of anything that would warrant a special community/voices page for just this group.  For the White or Caucasian Community, most everything applies - like the whole AARP.org website.

 

In a way, I do agree with you . . . . . We all need to learn about one another and what better way than blending in stories and information like these in these separate areas to the whole group, no matter any special classification?

 

Just my opinion.  

 

 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
3,559 Views
3
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

@GailL1 

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  However, as anyone can see, there is no mention of a Veterans, Military or Families Voices Community in their list under Community/Communities on  the page I referred to on AARP.  There is however an  Asian, Black, Hispanic, LGBTQ and Native American Community listed...as I showed in my initial post.

 

My thread/post posed the question as to why those are listed and there is no White Community listed.  That question has yet to be answered.

 

You asked "Is there something of interest that is predominately just for the White or Caucasian group, what would it be?"  The same could be asked regarding the groups that AARP chose to list as separate groups.  Why separate people into groups period?  Any of us.  Isn't there already too much division/separation without social media (i.e. AARP)  participating and even encouraging the division.  In my opinion yes...

 

I disagree that we all need to learn about one another...we do that anyway on our lifes' journey.  However, I believe that we should let each adult individual decide what it is that they want to learn about.  And that is just my opinion...But that's why these sites exist...so people can voice their opinion.

 

I would like to add, that because of the climate of today our right to our opinions are being restricted more and more.  But that's a whole nuther thread/topic.  *smiles*

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
3,476 Views
0
Report
Reply
Social Butterfly

and @sunluvngal this is something that has been on my mind for years now... as a child of the 60s, I grew up in a neighborhood that would in today's standards be considered "gentrified". I am American middle-European descent (3rd gen American). My best friend then, and next-door neighbor, now considered Black was just Gail, my best friend (bff not being a 60s thing); we didn't know there was a difference. People scoff at that now but it is true; we had bubble baths together, she slept in my bed, I slept in hers; our mothers shared dishes and loaned cups of sugar, as well as our dads bbqing and drinking martinis from the same glasses and pitchers 😉

 

As an adult I regrettably learned the rest of the world didn't work like that.

 

I fought for every equality and justice for more than 50 years then found my own under attack during a senseless mass murder, and I stopped fighting for anything other than my own concern.

 

I now would appreciate a forum where I, as an old "white" "caucasian" "non-minority" might vent my frustrations; no, that's not true; I just want a way to cry without others justifying why I'm wrong... I hate that that is something I feel I need away from others, but have already experienced that, and won't let myself go there again...

 

I realize this is a long rant but it's current mood for me and that's what I'm reclaiming from my previous me...

 

Thank you!

 

#StaySafe


#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0
Kudos
6021
Views
3,506 Views
1
Report
Reply
Trusted Social Butterfly

@WebWiseWoman 

 

Thank you for sharing and very well said.

 

Yes sadly what we learn as an adult is not always a good thing.  The innocence of childhood and loving everybody is lost along the way. People scoff at a lot of things that represent truth and good these days.  Let'em scoff, I say.  

 

I understand perfectly how you feel about appreciating a forum where we  "as an old "white" "caucasian" "non-minority" might vent our frustrations  or maybe  "just a way to cry without others justifying why we're wrong".

 

I mean, in all honesty,  I hesitated to even start this thread because of the climate of today.  But I'm tired of all the hypocrisy, division and caving in to todays' mentality.

 

Your response was not long nor do I consider it a rant...(and so what if it was) that's what we're here for and again...thank you!

 

YOU stay strong...we need people like you.   

 

 

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. 🙂
3,466 Views
0
Report
Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP