Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Ranks and Roles Adjustment

Hello Community Members,

We wanted you to be aware of some changes going on over the next month. After many years we are making an update to our user rankings for the better!  Adjustments will be made to correct conflicting roles and we wanted you to know as modifications may briefly effect some of your visuals at the AARP Community level. These are subtle changes and we don't expect any performance issue. We plan on revisiting user rankings on a regular basis to ensure the most update to experience for our members. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just wanted to make you all aware that we posted about the new community ranking structure last week.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/About-Our-Community/Community-Ranking-Structure/m-p/2262864

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPMichaelP wrote:

Hello Community Members,

We plan on revisiting user rankings on a regular basis to ensure the most update to experience for our members. 

So what are the new rankings and why have they always been kept a secret, @AARPMichaelP ?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @fffred 

Your ranking isn't showing as "Newbie".

Here's a screenshot and Congratulations😊

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Screenshot_2020-05-14-10-38-16.png

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I suppose this explains why I have backslid from some form of "Social Butterfly" (I don't recall the exact phrase) to essentially "Newbie"

I have to say that this is quite disappointing. I am surprised by my reaction but it's essentially causing me to lose interest in participating in the forums.

I think to myself "Oh, what have I done? How have I transgressed the AARP system? Did I not post frequently enough? Was I supposed to maintain some particular 'rate' of posts per day? per week? I just don't know!"

I have tried (and do) read and post in a variety of different forums. I have tried to be helpful and charitable I've tried to provide helpful replies to issues such as Social Security (I have put quite a bit of effort into my replies to some rather technical questions), being supportive in the forum for Grief and that for Divorce. I have participated in some "fun" forums, not a lot but regularly. And I have tried not to be too egregious in the Politics forum.

Now I feel like Sisyphus. The Greek who (even now) suffers in Hades by having to push a large boulder up a mountain every day, only to have the Gods cause it to roll down again if he makes it to the summit. So I have been pushing that AARP forum boulder up the mountain, gaining foot by foot, inch by inch, and attaining some feeble form of recognition. Only to have the AARP Gods shove my boulder back down to the bottom of the mountain.

Yes, it is discouraging. Even causes me to slump into depression a bit.

So, I don't know. Maybe I just won't spend as much time here. Won't post as much. Not that I posted a lot, but to me quality is better than quantity. And I tried to make my posts "quality". In terms of the thought given to my reply to others. Trying to offer them useful information. Succor in their time of need. 

But now. I don't know. 

@AARPMichaelP wrote:

Hello Community Members,

We wanted you to be aware of some changes going on over the next month. After many years we are making an update to our user rankings for the better!  Adjustments will be made to correct conflicting roles and we wanted you to know as modifications may briefly effect some of your visuals at the AARP Community level. These are subtle changes and we don't expect any performance issue. We plan on revisiting user rankings on a regular basis to ensure the most update to experience for our members. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@fffred wrote:

I suppose this explains why I have backslid from some form of "Social Butterfly" (I don't recall the exact phrase) to essentially "Newbie"

I have to say that this is quite disappointing. I am surprised by my reaction but it's essentially causing me to lose interest in participating in the forums.

I think to myself "Oh, what have I done? How have I transgressed the AARP system? Did I not post frequently enough? Was I supposed to maintain some particular 'rate' of posts per day? per week? I just don't know!"

I have tried (and do) read and post in a variety of different forums. I have tried to be helpful and charitable I've tried to provide helpful replies to issues such as Social Security (I have put quite a bit of effort into my replies to some rather technical questions), being supportive in the forum for Grief and that for Divorce. I have participated in some "fun" forums, not a lot but regularly. And I have tried not to be too egregious in the Politics forum.

Now I feel like Sisyphus. The Greek who (even now) suffers in Hades by having to push a large boulder up a mountain every day, only to have the Gods cause it to roll down again if he makes it to the summit. So I have been pushing that AARP forum boulder up the mountain, gaining foot by foot, inch by inch, and attaining some feeble form of recognition. Only to have the AARP Gods shove my boulder back down to the bottom of the mountain.

Yes, it is discouraging. Even causes me to slump into depression a bit.

So, I don't know. Maybe I just won't spend as much time here. Won't post as much. Not that I posted a lot, but to me quality is better than quantity. And I tried to make my posts "quality". In terms of the thought given to my reply to others. Trying to offer them useful information. Succor in their time of need. 

But now. I don't know. 

@AARPMichaelP wrote:

Hello Community Members,

Hi @fffred 

You should be proud of the “Silver Conversationalist” ranking! It shows that you are consistently logging into the community to contribute, that you've contributed 650+ posts, received 800+ Kudos from others, and 1 post has even been marked as an accepted solution.

The fix was needed because the ranking structure was broken and we’re sorry for any confusion this is causing. We will be posting the structure in the next week as it’s stabilized.

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPMichaelP wrote:

Hi @fffred 

You should be proud of the “Silver Conversationalist” ranking! It shows that you are consistently logging into the community to contribute, that you've contributed 650+ posts, received 800+ Kudos from others, and 1 post has even been marked as an accepted solution.

The fix was needed because the ranking structure was broken and we’re sorry for any confusion this is causing. We will be posting the structure in the next week as it’s stabilized

I think what @fffred  and @mi4090  are referring to is that they lost standing in the ranking hierarchy.  In essence, they have been demoted to a lower rank with the changeover.  With @fffred , he says he already had attained a  (fill in blank)  Social Butterfly standing and he's knocked back to a Conversationalist.  @mi4090 , I'm assuming you are not the same Social Butterfly you were before?  You also got knocked down a peg or two?

I look forward to seeing the new structure.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @MsStretch 

How are you and hope you are staying safe during these strange times.  You are absolutely correct.  My rankinging was higher even before we change to the New Rewards program, the first change of the new program people that had lower rankings are above me now.  I'm confused, I try to post rewards promo codes for members, instructed on how to make donations, and advise about checking to make sure you're logged in plus the clearing of cookies and cache.

Is a Conversationalist higher or lower than a Social Butterfly?  I think it's higher, because members that were lower Social Butterflies than me, and I was valued moved to Silver & Gold Conversationalist.

Here are my contributions if correct.  I would love to get an answer on how you go backwards after years in the various Communities.

Screenshot_2020-05-16 mi4090.png

Marylin

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@mi4090 wrote:

Hello @MsStretch 

Is a Conversationalist higher or lower than a Social Butterfly?  I think it's higher, because members that were lower Social Butterflies than me, and I was valued moved to Silver & Gold Conversationalist.

Here are my contributions if correct.  I would love to get an answer on how you go backwards after years in the various Communities.

Marylin

You bring up an interesting point, @mi4090 .  The order of the butterflies has definitely been shaken up.  At least, I am 'Recognized'. 😋  (However, I'm not sure what that means. 🤷‍♀️)

I think the key here will be when @AARPMichaelP  posts the new ranking structure next week after the 🦋🦋🦋 settle down and have a chance to stabilize.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @MsStretch 

Next week will be greatly anticipated, settle down butterflies😂

Marylin

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@mi4090 wrote:

Hello @MsStretch 

Marylin

You bring up an interesting point, @mi4090 .  The order of the butterflies has definitely been shaken up.  At least, I am 'Recognized'. 😋  (However, I'm not sure what that means. 🤷‍♀️)

I think the key here will be when @AARPMichaelP  posts the new ranking structure next week after the 🦋🦋🦋 settle down and have a chance to stabilize.

I found the "QUOTE" button hidden away, just like you did - Thanks, It would have taken me a long time to find it if not for your post here.

The moderators probably don't want this to get out - especially for those who post on the P&CE board and overuse it -

Thanks Again .👍 🏆

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

I found the "QUOTE" button hidden away, just like you did - Thanks, It would have taken me a long time to find it if not for your post here.

The moderators probably don't want this to get out - especially for those who post on the P&CE board and overuse it -

Thanks Again .👍 🏆

Wish I could take all the credit , @GailL1 , but actually @AARPRachelA posted the answer here. 😉

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I just noticed that my ranking was also changed from some sort of Social Butterfly to just a plain old Social Butterfly 🤣

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Hello  @AARPMichaelP 

Could you please explain how a ranking can be reversed? The rankings  changed several times before the end of Rewards for Good program?  I'm curious about how this happens when all other members increased.

Thanks for your explanation.

Have a Blessed Day

@mi4090 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP