CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager
Trusted Contributor

It does not have to be that way.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I will send you a virtual hug for you on Valentines day!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you! Right back at you...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

After 51 years of marriage? AND a pandemic? Well, DID send my husband an e-card (and that's unusual). We'll probably cook a "good" meal, stay home, watch TV...and then go to bed (perhaps early but to sleep).

Trusted Contributor

Very good idea. I did the same thing. It's not safe out there if you meet people that is not protected. Some people don't pay attention to this Virus.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I created a Hygge space and weโ€™ll have salmon and other goodies in this romantic space.

Trusted Contributor

Very good idea.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We r going out to eat at our local bakery

Contributor

Iโ€™m doing a paint party online and drinking red wine. I have 6 purple roses. My favorite color.

Contributor

A quiet day at home. I don't celebrate it. It's not Bible based and has a terrible origin.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Absolutely nothing outside of watching some hockey on TV, walking my dog the usual 4 times. Maybe treat myself to my favorite dinner, which is a Cajun shrimp pizza on Naan bread used as a pizza crust. Never was one for Valentine's Day because the true origin of Valentine's Day is anything but romantic. 

The Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.

Not my kind of day.

Contributor

A man after my own heart. I plan to spend the day at home with my cat.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Remember, if you factor in the 7 to 1 live expectancy ratio, Valentine's Day is a whole week to my dog! My dog has been with me for 18 weeks today since I rescued him. He is a 2 yr old Staffordshire Terrier and Black Lab mix. He had to fill the paw prints of a little terrier I had for almost 14 years, and he is great. And happy to own a 4 bedroom home in Ohio!

I'd post a pic but the system keeps rotating the picture 90 degrees to the left.

0 Kudos

I plan to have a candle lit dinner with the woman I love , I am preparing it myself.

0 Kudos

Did not even realize the holiday (is it a holiday) was arriving!  Staying safe at home.

Contributor

My son and I will be painting and laughing. A lot of construction happening at my home, so my son is helping with the easy stuff. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband bought me a ticket to Josh Groban's live streamed concert on Valentine's Day.  He's going to join me. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We are going out to dinner. I got my husband a great book and a card. 

0 Kudos

Going to get my 2nd vaccine shot!

Contributor

I am cooking dinner (steak, mascarpone and garlic mashed potatoes (or dice roasted rutabagas with a sweet brown butter), roasted asparagus (or a creamy parmesan spinach bake) and a strawberry cobbler for dessert) and we will watch movies. A night in WITHOUT physical distancing? What can be better?

Regular Contributor

@WaleisahWilson wrote:

A night in WITHOUT physical distancing? What can be better?

A night in WITH physical distancing? LOL!!!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

That sounds delicious, I'll be there!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I will take the time to remember my husband and what we would have done on Valentine's Day. My husband passed away in September 2020, so on Valentine's Day, I will prepare his favorite meal and listen to our favorite song (Heavenly by the Temptations) and sit and reminisce about the love we shared together.   

This is a lovely way to remember your husband.  Onthe first holidays after a loved one has died, I have written a letter telling him or her how much I treasured their presence in my life and loved them.  I add specific memories, etc. I know that these letters cannot be mailed, but I find comfort in telling a loved one how special they were to me.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The last thing I did 5+ years ago before leaving the house to go to the hospital for what turned out to be triple bypass surgery was hit "Send" on a draft of an email to my husband. Carefully calculated so he would open it AFTER he got home. Thankfully everything turned out ok, even with 10 days in the hospital, but just in case wanted to tell him that he was the best thing to ever happen to me. He said later that he cried for 10 minutes after reading the email, then he got mad. I asked "Whatever for?" and he replied that he thought I had given up. 51 years of marriage and you'd think he knew me better than that!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@mh2479739 wrote:

I will take the time to remember my husband and what we would have done on Valentine's Day. My husband passed away in September 2020, so on Valentine's Day, I will prepare his favorite meal and listen to our favorite song (Heavenly by the Temptations) and sit and reminisce about the love we shared together.   

That is absolutely perfect. He may have physically passed away, but you get to keep the memories, so do all you can to make the good ones last! Cry your tears if you choose to, and know you had what a lot of people never find. Peace!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I agree that, as long as you remember, no one is ever really GONE.

0 Kudos

Please don't be sad.  Remember our loved ones live on because of our memories.  Be happy.

Contributor

awww. I am so sorry for your loss. I pray you will be comforted in his absence through the memories you both shared, by hearing a whisper of his voice and a warm invisible hug from him. I'm sure he loved you very much and I hope the love you shared will be felt 10x over on Valentine's Day. God bless. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for those encouraging words.  We had a love like no other. We were married 32 years but had been together for 40 years. We shared a lifetime of love together. I pray you enjoy Valentine's Day with the one you love. Stay safe and God bless.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP