Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do you wish your community was more livable, beautiful, vibrant, fun, safe, connected?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you wish your community was more livable, beautiful, vibrant, fun, safe, connected?

Do you wish your community was more livable, beautiful, vibrant, fun, safe, connected? Small community projects have the power to spark big changes.

Tell us what your community is doing to make it more livable and share a picture here to inspire others to take action. You can also find tips and resources to get started with AARP Livable Communities.

There are some really creative Free Libraries happening like these:

freelibraryimage1.jpg

Have you seen any kindness rocks pop up in your neighborhood? Paint rocks with cheery designs and messages and leave them around your community to brighten someone’s day!

kindnessrocks.jpg

Do you have any of these cool things happening in your neighborhood?  Have ideas of your own?  Share them here!

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Yes, live next to Ft Hood Army Base. Conditions are not suitable. Lakes are managed by Army its disgusting, only nice areas are on base others are public which 2 nice areas are camping only so no entry. 

The city doesn't offer anything but little lame activities. 

Its not safe here crime is overwhelming. 

They stopped most public transportation, matter of fact never see any. Nothing offered for seniors w/o family for medical care such as surgical procedures or medical care. 

No this didn't start because of virus. 

City isn't managed properly. Utilities or cable no new competitors.

Years ago expanded codes allowing people to buy homes in or on your area to trash yards and street with businesses. My street was once nice but no longer nor safe anymore. 

Much of problems do come from army base, their families brought here many left behind. 

Nobody cares just show up to city meetings regarding any ideas or questions about solutions. They sit looking at you as if we don't exist nor concerned we are good tax payers wanting a good life.

To allow drug dealers and trash business move onto ones street driving down the value of our homes. The whole city is structured this way no matter who is voted in. Constantly claiming they haven't funds. 

The city or army doesnt care....like it or lump it. 

0 Kudos

Yes I really do I want a lot more for my community 

0 Kudos

Yes I really do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't need to ask for anything more. My community has everything I need. There is always something going on for the people who live here. I wouldn't change a thing. I contribute by giving the things I don't need anymore to the needy in my community.

0 Kudos

Tell me how your community get to that point of not needing anything.

0 Kudos

I wish I could say that about my community but it via a very hard task to fill.

0 Kudos

I am trying to get other people in the community to get involved with me.

0 Kudos

Yes I would but I can’t do it alone but I give it a good try 

0 Kudos
Contributor

YES
MELISSA
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes
MELISSA
0 Kudos
Contributor

No I don’t want it to change, I moved here because it is the quiet, peaceful and lots of space.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, of course. I think it would just be easier to move. 👋

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes! We would love it if someone in Administration would stop hiding and be willing to be accountable and listen to the Residents in this Independent Living Complex. The Residents have decided that we could do better with all our lifetime experience and education. This administration is not a Community Player since they do not bother to recycle and cardboard throw perfectly solid wood furniture and medical equipment into a giant dumpster. They pay no care to the surrounding area at all. They call no charities to pick up anything and fill landfills with tons of cardboard boxes that could be recycled. Emails bounce when sent to prior working email addresses. They take the rent money but do not invest in the property. We wish the Government would come in and find all the "Little Secrets" they are hiding. We are gagged with threat of eviction and not able to contact local news.

0 Kudos

No

Yes more swept up!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I do, nobody talks to each other here in Anderson. in. It would really nice to have a connected community here.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dear AARP,

Yes, yes, and yes to all of the above. Not only do I want to improve the quality of life in my community, as #BlockCaptain, I do my best to make it happen!

I Am happy to report that our "Hip, Hip, Hooray! It's Dumpster Day!" was a success! I organized 14 Volunteers who participated in clearing/cleaning out old furniture. toys, clothes, yard waste, broken limbs, etc. Everyone was thrilled especially since trash, recycle, and Mayor Cleanups have been cancelled or delayed due to #NCVD19.

Contrary to popular belief, "Good Things Do Happen In Baltimore"!

20200730_125945.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

para que me coloque la tarjeta play o xbo porfa no he podido cobrar

0 Kudos

I live in a senior community. It is beautiful, well maintained fun, safe and connected. My friend and I share a birthday. When the self distancing started we couldn't celebrate the May birthdays at the clubhouse.  So I dreamed up a "walk by" birthday party in my driveway. The neighbors could bring chairs, wear masks, and come for cake and punch. And a lot did come.  Our local funeral home provides a cake every month.(how funny is that?  They brought the cake and decided to stay awhile. They even sang happy birthday to us. The party was so successful the residents decided to have brown bag suppers outside the clubhouse. Unfortunately we were so busy we forgot to take photos.

My friend and I will organize the Christmas party again also. I will not forget to take pictures then.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Absolutely! We have a drug dealer next door to us that has been selling drugs to our son for over 2 years. There are a lot of druggies in this neighborhood that are all addicted to opioids and meth, robbing houses, entering vacant houses. You name it we probably have it. I will be so happy to be out of this area because my wife and I have saved enough money to finally buy our own home after losing ours about 6 years ago (thank you housing fallout). At 55 and 53 we are ready for a nice quiet life to get gardening more and spending long nights out on the back patio just talking. I am hoping to get my second wind and start my dog treat business that I have been working on for the past 3 years to get ready and to have neighbors I can actually count on. Miss having those.

Yes ,the only thing it has to offer those of us with silver hair is a church that will help with meds for those with no insurance.Now if there was a program or someone that would help those with fixing up our houses here that are on a limited budget. This is a major problem here for most of the houses here are over 50 years old and a lot of contractors willing to take advantage of you.

0 Kudos

Yes I hope more work was done

0 Kudos

I'm not going to reply again because I can't please you. 

I answered the question in the best way that I could but you said it was not acceptable so I don't know what else to say. I do wish that my community were more livable, vibrant, fun and safe. I said that it is beautiful but it lacks in being vibrant, fun and safe and that I believe there are many ways it can be changed to make it better. I am concerned about the safety of the community for my granddaughters who are growing up here and I hope it will become safer soon as they grow older. I don’t know what else you want me to say to make it acceptable to you.

Yes I do wish that my community was more livable, vibrant, fun and safe. I think it is beautiful but it leaves a lot to be expected when it comes to fun and safety. There is not a lot to do and the crime rate is very high. I worry about it for my granddaughters who are growing up here. I don't know what to do about it.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I live on the same street in the same house since I was 16.  I was drafted out of my house, got married out of it and now I'm back.  With absent periods here and there, I don't think there is a thing I'd change. At my current 74, I hope I have a minimum of least 6 years left.  Barring bad stuff, I'm hoping for the best.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP