Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 4, May 24-31st

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 4, May 24-31st

Welcome to the final week of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 24-31, 2021

In honor of National Burger Day (5/28) and Memorial Day!  We want you to share how your healthy eating ideas and tips work during a long holiday of eating!  Share them here and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 4 topic.  Rules: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest

AARPTeri

I suggest grabbing veggies rather than carbs.  Grab the carrots and celery rather than chips and dip.  Keep healthy granola bars with you that you can have for a snack.  Also substitute seltzer with lemon for sugary drinks.  Keep a water bottled with you filled with ice and water for convenience.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Always start with lots of veggies with tasty dressings, plenty of water, then add bread & meat.  If you're active during the day you will eat less!

Boddy C
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Always plan on a large garden salad... lots of greens with a low fat vinaigrette dressing. Don’t forget the veggie tray for snackers! 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@CharDoug Homemade vinaigrette:  extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar,  Couldn't be easier.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Contributor

It can be done!  Grilled chicken, Mediterranean pasta salad made with whole grain pasta, fruit salad are all good ideas.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eat less red meat and try plant-based.

0 Kudos

Always have some pre-washed cut veggies, and fruit, in the fridge. So when you get the urge for a snack you can quickly and easily reach for this rather than chips.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Water fruits and vegetables come first.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Go for the lite beer instead of regular!

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I eat out at a restaurant I separate my meal in half and box it to take home. This gives me two meals for the price of one. I also take my time eating so I get that "I'm full" feeling and therefore don't have room for the half I saved.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When I'm invited to a get-together with friends, I do a couple of things. First, I eat before I go so I'm less prone to overeat while there. Second, I take a dish with me. That way, I can be certain that there will be at least one thing available that I can feel good about eating. Being proactive is the key to a healthy lifestyle!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I invested in a $20 kitchen scale. I weight everything that goes into my mouth. I have lost 52 pounds since January 1st, 2021! 

You really know how many calories in you're portion??

Contributor

Which scale did you buy? How do you measure the calories then? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use the EatSmart food scale that I purchased on Amazon. It comes with a calorie factor book. Look up the food and find the factor per gram of weight. (There are complete instructions in the booklet.) The booklet contains a great variety of foods, either raw or cooked, and gives you an accurate calorie count for the food. I've used for over 8 years and love it!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I switch to veggie burgers there are so many yummy varieties out there you don’t even miss the meat and when you dress your burger with lettuce tomato and red onion you don’t even notice

0 Kudos
Contributor

My friends and I will have grilled salmon as our main course. I may bring some veggie burgers to grill as well. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I grill long slices or zucchini, yellow squash. I also wrap baked potatoes and put them in the fire. I boil a cut up chicken before I grill it. Then I grill chunks of watermelon and pineapple, thick slices of peaches and have that for dessert with chopped basil.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Here is a Mix and match menu for an outdoor barbeque. (A healthy plate cuts back on fats, sugars, and sodium.) You can always add heart-healthy options to a regular menu. Ask your diabetic friends for suggestions too. I attend parties for groups of 50, what I'd make for myself is heart-healthy and diabetic friendly--we've relatives and friends that are on Keto diets too! PS--the brought and bought desserts are too numerous to mention, so, I'll just add bring desserts that don't have to stay cold or hot--that is unless you're bringing an ice cream churn. 

Regular Barbeque Menu

Grilled chicken or hamburgers or kosher hotdogs or barbeque pork or barbeque chicken.

Grilled steak

Buns

Lettuce

Tomato slices

Onions

Cheese

Chili

Chips

Pasta salads

Baked beans

Chopped onions

Slaws

Potato salad

Mustard, mayo, ketchup

Water, tea, lemonade

Heart-healthy options include the following in appropriate amounts for each individual.

Remember to plan a way to keep the cold foods cold and the hot foods hot. 

Grilled chicken breast over a bed of spring mixed greens.

A black bean and corn side salad with purple onion slivers, slivered carrots, thinly cut radishes, cubed Roma tomatoes, Italian seasoning, yellow vinegar, olive oil, fresh ground black pepper

A punch bowl salad containing the following--cauliflower and broccoli florets, celery and carrot sticks, squash and zucchini rounds or sticks, sweet pepper strips, Italian seasoning, fresh ground pepper, olive oil. Salt in a shaker. 

Zucchini chips with a fresh salsa dip.

Fruit platter, including watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapes, and orange segments, could make kabobs for the platter.

Spinach salad with strawberries, feta, pecans on a spinach bed of green. Raspberry vinegerette. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Maintain a healthy by portion controls.. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits -esp w spring there is so many available. Lean meats and exercise regularly. 

Contributor

Burgers are 97% fat free turkey meat. Side dish of corn on the cob, plain, no butter. Salad with red and orange pepper, dry roasted almond slivers, no dressing.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Cucumber and watermelon salad with fresh mint and feta cheese! It is a very refreshing dish that goes well with another delicious salad: the 5 beans salad, with chick peas, red beans, black beans, wax beans, green beans, red onion, bell pepper, red wine vinegar, olive oil and fresh herbs. These 2 salads, a few black olives, a few raw almonds and a hunk of sourdough bread, healthy and scrumptious! What a heavenly picnic!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Here's my plan: drink more water (than beer/wine); choose a smaller plate at the buffet instead of filling up a large dinner plate; select  proteins and fruits and vegetables without sauces and dressings. Engage in another activity and not to hover over the food table.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cooking on the grill makes my burger taste unbelievable. So many options. Vegetables are  bonus freebies .Shiskabobs are so full of flavor and take minutes. Fresh cold leaf lettuce salads cool and refreshing. Throw in some strawberries.. negative calories !!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We will welcome our two young granddaughters to our home for fresh fruit and veggie prep with them to delight the hearts of us all!

Being together and kitchen fun with a 4 and 6 year old lets them learn food sourcing and options of preparing food. They work side by side to shown their love.

Life skills in the kitchen are the key to a life well lived. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My late father was a doctor.  He told me" Drink water.  Other beverages are OK from time to time, But the liquid your body wants and needs is water! Not colas.  Not a lot of juice.  Water. Water?  Water!" 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My plan for this Holiday weekend is to prepare 2 raw veggie salads (including cucumber, celery and zucchini for hydration), 1 fruit salad for the house and make 2 dozen deviled eggs to take to a BBQ.  I have gas for the grill.  I'll keep meal prep to a minimum and prep as much food as I can on Friday.  On Thursday I will grocery shop and I'm also making a large pan of brownies (no sugar, w applesauce) for the sweet tooth.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Portion control. Holidays I bring to go containers instead of having seconds.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP