Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics Iโ€™m interested in like โ€œwhat do you know about long-term careโ€ from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

I take ballroom dance lessons and participate in shows and events.

Contributor

I love to do crosswords and word puzzles.   Each day I do the daily Wordl, Quordl and Waffle along with the AARP crosswords, Codeword and word searches.   Being active and going to the gym also helps and you meet some interesting people and have good conversation.   Not only does it keep the brain active but also keeps one young at heart.

Contributor

To keep my brain active, I do lots of quizzes or puzzles.,or hidden object games.

Periodic Contributor

To keep my brain active I eat healthy snacks such as handful of healthy mix nuts or an avocado, drink water or teas. I teach, exercise regularly, and challenge myself to drive a different route to the store or home. Most importantly, I play games, some made up with my 5 year old GRANDbaby some weekends.

I read as often as I can, which is at least 20 minutes/day. I also play different games on computer and/or my phone.

I read as much as possible and i go to AARP website and play around

Contributor

I read these AARP e-mails and answer the trivia questions. I read our daily newspaper on line daily, I play an instrument in our local Community Band, I'm involved in my church activities, I work as an election judge twice a year, I ring the bell for Salvation Army at least 7 hours a year and I donate blood a couple times a year.

Contributor

I am teaching a Continuing Education Class and it keeps me on my toes and my students

very engaged. I had been in Education for the last 25 years, so it is good for me and great

for the students that are trying to continue their education.

Contributor

Besides reading, doing Sudoko and crossword puzzles everyday, I am learning Mah Jongg, a table games with tiles in which you draw tiles (like you would cards in a card game) and try to create one of a set of "hands" or groups of tiles. I also walk every day and do an online aerobic class.

Periodic Contributor

Both my husband and I try to keep our brains active by playing word games. We really like Word Trip, and also Word Serenity.  We have the apps on our Kindle Fire (which is a great inexpensive tablet to have).

0 Kudos

I love marking plants grow I rescue plants that people are throwing in trash they will say that it is dead and something is eating it but I check as close to root a possible and if any green I nurture and google and I have learned so much from internet that I havenโ€™t lost a plant that I rescued  I want to take some courses about growing and raising plants I read everything there is seed packets YouTube I canโ€™t believe how as I get older I canโ€™t get enough of knowledge if I hear something and someone says that this is a true story I have to research it well thatโ€™s enough I have to google something.

@AARPTeri wrote:

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics Iโ€™m interested in like โ€œwhat do you know about long-term careโ€ from the Rewards earning page.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ain't it great to have a curious mind?! And Google is so helpful for folks like us. I too rescue plants that have been put out to the curb, and although not as successful as you are, at least some little lives were saved. keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love crossword puzzles.  I just bought a book of 500 Sunday New York Times puzzles.  A month later I am working on #23

0 Kudos

I practice mindfulness, read, walk and play brain games like puzzles and split words on staying sharp.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my brain active by engaging in the following activities:

1. I belong to a Facebook group that teaches Yiddish, which was spoken in my home as a child, but as I grew, the family spoke it less and less. I am learning new words, and relearning ones that I once knew, but forgot.

2. I am an avid reader and take walks to my local library several times a week. 

3. I like to do crossword puzzles, and all types of word puzzles.

4. I find new recipes from other cultures, and make these new dishes often. I also learn about the origin of the recipe. 

5. I read a lot about dementia, as my Dad is in an assisted living facility, and I am with him on weekends, caring for him, helping him cope and still do "normal" things.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I follow complicated knitting patterns and I'm learning Italian.

0 Kudos

First, I keep my neurons (brain cells) active and growing by maintaining a healthy vascular system โ€“ that is by keeping my blood pressure, blood glucose, ldl cholesterol levels and my weight within normal and healthy ranges. I decreased my A1c level from 6.8% to 5% by decreasing carbs and substituting simple carbs for complex carbs that contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. Secondly, I control sodium, caffeine, and stress to keep my blood pressure levels within normal range and every week I participate in an online diabetes education class. Third,  I stay socially connected by eating and socializing with friends and family. Attending social events, e.g. church, and taking day trips helps defeat social isolation, depression and brain cell inactivity.  To keep brain cells active, I exercise, play computer games, take online college level writing courses and write essays which I hope to published. Through the AARP Staying Sharp website and the Alzheimer's Association website where I previously volunteered, I read and research about brain health other health and nutrition related topics. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi @AARPTeri! I just joined AARP, took the AARP vegetarian quiz (been veggie for 17 years, and I got the meat question wrong, haha), and I am beginning acoustic guitar lessons on Tuesday! My 50's are gonna be filled with music I make! -Meg5678

0 Kudos

I am taking Spanish every day so I can talk to Spanish speakers, while planning for a trip to Mexico. I play several different word games and card games to stimulate different parts of my brain. I exercise 5-6 days a week with bicicleta, elliptical and weights. I eat healthy with lots of fruits and vegetables.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read a lot of fiction and non-fiction.  I also play Wordle every day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I pray the Rosary, reflecting on the mysteries in it, and keeping in mind as many people as have asked for prayers and as many of the needs in the world as I can hold in my brain at once. I also like word puzzles and working with teens!

Contributor

I play a Brain game called Lumosity. It consists of Cognitive skills, Habits, Math challenge and calculation skills, Language consisting of vocabulary and reading skills, Speed, Memory, Dexterity and many more skills etc.  I paint By number for my motor skills. I taught myself Embroidery, started back up with my Latch Hook, especially during the Pandemic era. Future projects will be- Puzzles. I listen to my favorite music for relaxation, got into reading more since I retired (and yes on Factual Politics, not hearsay). I read my AARP newsletters among other subscriptions, such as National Geographic, and Smithsonian. They are excellent subscriptions with endless education information.  I have used 'Search A Word' puzzles in the past.  I have also read many years ago, that by eating nuts, (Walnuts, Almonds) of many kinds are excellent for the memory of which I eat all the time; and has Omega 3.  Other healthy foods are Broccoli, Beets, dark chocolate, blueberries, (love) strawberries, have antioxidants (love tomatoes- they have lycopene) to name a few foods.  I am always looking up Google and/or if I hear on Television (Health Reports).

These are just some of the foods and hobbies that keep me going and keep me healthy!    Try them!

Contributor

I read The Washington Post and New York Times, I do the puzzles in Sundayโ€™s NYT Magazine, I play Wordle, and I use the Elevate app.

Periodic Contributor

I enter sweepstakes and take quizzes to earn and learn back to school.

0 Kudos

I take Spanish lessons via Duolingo and read so much in so many genres. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Nothing is more engaging than reading, so I read, read and read.  I must admit I'm also hooked on Wordle and I study Spanish on Babble.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

When traveling to/from my elderly parents home, which is a 4.5 hour drive each way, I see how many different state license plates I can count. I list them alphabetically- when I add one I start with the "A's" and add the new one where it fits in the alphabet... So far, the highest number I have reached is 23! 

Periodic Contributor

Surprise! I'm probably ? the only one here who does NOT have a TV or access to one.  I am a reader instead; have been since age four. Disclaimer:  I owned and worked in a bookstore for 15 years - paradise for me.  Books, and some times Kindle, will take you any where you want to go, exploring anything you want to know.  They are an unlimited resource, always within reach. You can find knowledge, learn something new, get answers or just relax and enjoy.  Books are a never ending, always accessible treasure for lifelong knowledge.  Curiosity, knowledge, relaxation and joy.  Just pick up a book. You can learn a lot!  JJG

Contributor

The Trivia and Crossword puzzles are fun to play daily; plus, I do Sudoku and watch AARP videos and quizzes for more current challenges.  I also enjoy reading books and belong to a book club.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Greetings! I keep my brain active by playing the AARP games. Example the tic tack toe one , I start off easy then get to the more challenging one, I can tell I remember more an evan get faster at it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP