AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Welcome to the Small Business Roundtable

Message 31 of 51

@Olif thank you for your question.  My recommendation is for you to work in a business that you are interested in starting.  For example, if you are interested in opeining a coffee shop perhaps you should consider working in a coffee shop so you can better understand how to run the business, learn the machines, etc.  Essentially, learn the business you are interested in owning.  Let me know if you need more information.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Hobby to Profit

Message 32 of 51

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement!!!  You are right, sewing has become a lost skill. It is much needed. I will take heed to your words and put together a plan.

All the best.

Blessings,

Angie

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hobby to Profit

Message 33 of 51

I have no expertise in starting a business, but I can tell you anecdotally that a seamtress is in huge demand in the Chicago suburbs. I personally know a family that started a business in their home. They advertised in several local papers, but got most of their traffic from word-of-mouth. The business was mom and two daughters.

They eventually opened a store (rented space in a strip mall). They couldn't keep up with the demand and were not able to find more help. They eventually retired. Anything that needed sewing took weeks to get back due to demand.

There is a tailor in a neighboring town and he (yes, he) has the same thing. It's a week or two to replace a zipper on anything. He has far more business than he can handle.

There are so few people who can sew, and so much demand. Alterations was their major income. We've used the tailor for replacing coat zippers. He charges $10 to $20 to replace, depending on type of zipper. I know he does a lot of zippers and has an inventory of them. 

Anyway, I hope you can find someone to steer you in the right direction. Good clothing is expensive, and few people know how to sew a button back on, replace a zipper, cuff pants, or alter hems. Those are probably things you can do in your sleep, but people will willingly pay for these services to save an expensive garment.  

I'm guessing you could start advertising and work out of your home. But, I don't know if that is allowed under zoning laws. Hopefully, someone on these forums knows about small business issues and can direct you.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Welcome to the Small Business Roundtable

Message 34 of 51

I wish to start a business. However, I want to work for somebody elese's business before I start on my own.

Please give me information on who I can work for before I start out on my own.

Thank you

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Working capital or lines of credit for Medical businesses

Message 35 of 51

Hello to the panel and thank you for your time and feedback. I am a small business owner running a medical staffing company. I have not been able to expand due to a lack of capital or getting a line of credit to pay employees since medical reimbursement can take up to 4-6 weeks. I have submitted and have a pending application for MEB and am in the process of applying for a Washington,DC similar program called DBE. My company has been incorporated as an S-Corporation since 2006. Please advise.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 51

@MarcellusWade this is good information.  I am aware that SBA has a host of resources as well as in person sites that people can access, such as SCORE (score.org) and the Women's Business Resource Centers (sba.gov/learningcenters) SBA Development Centers as well as information about funding.  Can you tell us about how you sought out funding.  Did you go the nontraditional route first then to your local bank?  What was your funding journey?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Small Business IS Big Business

Message 37 of 51

Hi Keith,

I am self-employed WOSB in Cyber Security. Are you experienced in government contracting? I do need assistance with setting up my accounting system, payroll, taxes etc. What services do you provide via AARP.

Thank you,

A. Manley

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Hobby to Profit

Message 38 of 51

Hi,

I am a passionate seamstress, but want to turn my passion into profit. How do I start to earn income from sewing?

Thank you,

Angela

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 51

I took tons of FEMA courses and consisted consulted with my local Procurement Technical Assistance Center. The most valuable course I took was the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities (EBV). The 10-day course gave me the best resources to help accelerate my businesses. I also offer a 10-week course to help small business owners win their first government contract.

Resources:

FEMA https://training.fema.gov/emi.aspx

SBA https://www.sba.gov/course/government-contracting-101-part-1/#course-content

EBV http://ebv.vets.syr.edu/veterans/

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 51

@MarcellusWade please share what training courses specifically you took that may prove valuable to our audience.  As you know there are many and some that are tried and true.  Where there organizations you contacted that have ongoing training courses available?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season