Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 1 of 49

Hello everyone, please join us for a new expert event with Felicia Brown. Please join us here:

Want to be your own boss? Ask Expert Felicia Brown!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 49
A great place to find writing gigs is to visit Upwork.com or Fivver. com. These are online communities that host job listings for independent contractors and freelancers. It's a wonderful place where many folks from many industries find work. I highly recommend that you visit Upwork.com, I have hired many talented people from Upwork.
Living the Dream!
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 49

@p82666s it's wonderful that you are interested in starting a business.  Some things to consider are do you want to have an online business or have a store front to make money for your business?  Do you have your 501c3 designation to accept donations? Have you determined what your proceeds will benefit?  Is this purely a non-profit or is a for profit element in this; which makes this a business with a social mission?  So, I say all of this to say - there are some things you want to think about before you take the plunge.  You can always reach out to SCORE www.score.org to find a mentor to walk you through the process of figuring how you want to structure your business so you provide the service you are desiring to do.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 49

Hello I recently moved to Palm Springs in December 2018 and would like to open a nonprofit Family Thrift Store , how can I get info to get started......

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 49

@MaximeD823154 networking is good advice for someone interested in starting a business.  It is equally important to network with someone your desired industry so you can talk with people who have perhaps encountered similar challenges, can align you with additional networks where you can connect and receive solid advice.  Networking is also key if you are seeking full or part-time employment.  Regarding your language school in China, I wish you well with that endeavor.  I'm sure you will have lessons to share about launching a business internationally.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 49

I would love to see the responses to this gentleman questions from Ms. Alecia. However, I would like to let this gentleman knows that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Networking is critical at this point. I mean great networking. You will need to connect with people that are serious about running a business. I want to open a language school in China and the US where both Chinese and English is taught. I would welcome you if you are interested. Your educational background is valuable overseas unfortunately in the US they do not see to appreciate education, experience and true talents. Let me know if you are or for anyone who might be interested email me at [email address removed to protect your online privacy]

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 49

@King1982 I would recommend you reach out to SCORE or your local SBA Business Development Center.  They have representatives who can help you develop, tweak and finalize a plan that meets your business needs.  SBA also has a tool where you can develop the plan, save and edit as necessary, but first view AARP's video (https://aarptek.aarp.org/write-a-business-plan/) to learn the key elements of a business plan and other tools at www.aarp.org/50plusentrepreneurship.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 49
  • Would you rather have to write a business plan, and take a lot of time and money to get it started or follow a system that has already been tested and proven to work for many years?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 49

Would you rather have to write a business plan, and take a lot of time and money to get it started or follow a system that has already been tested and proven to work for many years?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 49

I would love to have a mentor of learning to start a business I'm 55 years old I want to learn more how to write a business plan, and more what ever it takes. Thanks

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors