Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Conversationalist

Re: Reply: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 1 of 27

@SIMPLEGAL I think it's great that you want to invest in a small business.  As you know finding funding is one of the biggest challenges to someone trying to launch and grow their business.  I would encourage you to visit the Kiva and Opportunity Fund websites where you can learn about various microbusinesses that you can financially support.  I would imagine there are small business in your local community that could your money and your time to perhaps mentor and provide mentoring toward business success. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Recognized Social Butterfly

Reply: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 2 of 27

I want to invest in a business that is currently owned and operated successfully by someone who may be interested in expanding or someone who might need a small loan.    

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: So You Want to Start a Small Business

Message 3 of 27

@m878880n, SCORE is "A specific non-profit organization with members who provide free consultationservices and advice to entrepreneurs. Members of the Service Corps Of Retired Executives (SCORE) are current or retired business owners and corporateexecutives who specialize in a variety of business skills."

https://www.score.org/

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 27

@s471707k there is a link to listen to the Passion to Profit Telephone Town Hall at aarp.org/startabusiness.  The link to the conversation can be found at the bottom of the page.  I hope this helps.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 27

Dear Bill,

This is the most delightful tale I've read in a very long time.  I hope you don't mind but I had to laugh (several times) at your remarks - great stories!  I hope you find a way to make it work because I love your business idea and the name, Literate in a Minute.  It's great for people in business and English grads but I'm not sure a student would have the patience to rewrite with your corrections/suggestions (slackers).  My guess is that they would want you to just do it.  The way you write is very entertaining.  Have you ever thought of writing a book that includes your life stories?  It's humorous and I think you'd do well.  I would buy a copy. 

I checked out your website and read your blog from 9/2017.  If you're blogging it's a good idea to do it consistantly...weekly or bi-weekly.  If you include a photo in the blog it adds some visual interest. Did you know that you can embed it on your Facebook page?  Then it will link back from Facebook to your website. I see you worked at BlogMutt so you probably already know that.

Best Wishes,

Vicky Lynn

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 27

I missed the Town Hall meeting on February 21,2018 Start Your Business.  Was the Town Hall meeting video taped? If so, where can I watch it?

Thank you,

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 27

@sg73416766 I would suggest you check with your local Chamber of Commerce to learn about the necessary permits to have a home based business.  Each state has different laws, so be sure you adhere to what required in your state and local juridiction.  Regarding the Facebook Marketplace you can set up a business page as you would do your personal page, but have a business email and images of your items.  Make sure your page looks like a business - showing people wearing the items you sew and items placed in a way that highlights the items well - and not your personal photos of you and your friends.  You will be directed on requirements and restrictions related to that designation.  I would also encourage you to look at Amazon Marketplace and Etsy.  While Etsy is pretty popular and you pay of percentage of your sell, Amazon is growing so there may be little to no cost to to sell your items.  Be encouraged to comb the internet on ways to sell your items digitally - but know that the more you are visable, the more you could sell which will require you to increase your inventory. I wish you luck with your business.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 27

I am interested in starting a 'sewing' business out of my home in Las Vegas, NV.  What do I need to do as far as permits, etc. to be able to work out of my home.

I want to sell my items on Facebook Marketplace.  Is there anything else I need to do in order to begin this type of business?

Thank you,

Sue 

biotechsue@gmail.com

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 27

febrown67 wrote:

@billcurryjr55 

Thank you for question. If i understand you correctly, it is your desire to start Literate in a Minute that helps MA English students fine writing opportunites that pays. It’s great that you want to create a pathway for students to get a jumpstart in the work world. Regarding financing the business, I would start first with developing your business model/plan that outlines your services and how you plan to generate business to pay the writers. Will you become a temp agency for contractors or freelance writers? Once you have that system in place, you can then begin to market your services low-cost through social media, which your tech savvy son can assist with, and networking with companies that find your services beneficial. From what I can tell, your start-up cost would be low to include a computer, which it appears you already have, paper and phone, perhaps. The writers could work from wherever they are - you would not need to have a physical place for them to write. If you get a windfall of money, use it to pay off debt and rebuild your nest egg. Before you spend money determine your business cost, how you will build the business and move from there.  I would encourage you also attend AARP’s Telephone Town Hall on Feb 21 at 7pm EST on Turning Your Passion to Profit. You can register here https://vekeo.com/event/aarpfinancialresilience-37309/ to participate.

I saw that the @reply to @billcurryjr55 didn't work as intended, so quoted your post, @febrown67 in its entirety so that a.) Bill will get an email with a link to this post telling him he was mentioned, and b.) so that he'd know of your response. Smiley Happy

Best wishes to both of you. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 10 of 27

@SIMPLEGAL I'm not so sure I understand your question.  Are you looking for a business partner; looking to mentor a small business owner help start and/or grow their business; or, looking to invest in a small business?  If you are looking for a business mentor, I suggest you look to SCORE (https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/score) and find a local office in your locale.  They have proven success on helping business thrive.  If you are looking to serve as a mentor, you can volunteer with SCORE to offer your business expertise.  If you are looking to invest in a business, one place to visit is www.KIVA.org where you can find a list of microbusinesses in need of financial assistance. 

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors