Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Over 80 and still working

Message 21 of 36
I am 82 and still happily working mostly part time.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 36

I am only 68 and still working.  I am a CNA and plan on working as long as I am able that includes past 80,  I only work 30 hours a week.  I used to do computer operations on mainframes and computer programming.  This is my second career sort of

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 36

I am over 80 and I still run my own aerial photography business including flying my plane, taking the aerial photos for my customers, and printing and framing the orders.  If interested, you can check out my website at photography-plus.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 36

After retiring from 30+ years as a university professor, my son and I purchased an old feed and grain store to renovate for as an upstairs apartment for him and a commerical business below. We decided upon a gelato shop and have been working to complete this project since 2010. My son passed away this past Easter Sunday morning and I'm determined to complete what we started in his honor. By this time, however, my retirement funds are extremely limited and there is much yet to be completed. Nonetheless, my puppy (Lola) and the cat Bryce willed to me (Michael Jackson) are living in his apartment. We are waiting to get a Certificate of Occupancy as I write this.

Before he passed away, Bryce purchased a surpluss 4-way traffic light, so we decided to call our shop the Stoplight Gelato Cafe, LLC. Fortunately, a local BizSense newspaper reporter wrote a story about our efforts to help restore an old historic district in Richmond, VA. As a result, several college students volunteered to help me. For example, I taught a predental student how to trim a door; a physics major learned how to make gelato; several others painted walls and ceilings, while others helped with woodwork trim.

Of course, most of my funds are going to pay for necessary upgrades such as all new electrical, plumbing, HVAC and heart-pine floor installation. Some of Bryce's friends gave of their expert ceramic tile and woodworking trim skills to finish two bathrooms and a loft. We still have more trim, equipment cleaning (it was all purchased over the five years from auctions), remaining electrical and plumbing to complete, but we are gradually making progress.

Other neighbor volunteers painted book shelves, sealed more brick and made window posters. After stopping to sell me products, a salesman decided to volunteer by staining and varnishing waincoting in the cafe, and the electricians volunteered to hang the enormously heavy traffic light. My California cousin came for a week and painted doors and helped seal brick.

There are so many involved that it is difficult to give tribute to each of them, but they know that part of this business belongs to them and their efforts.

At 80, I work hard each day. Yesterday, for example, a lawyer husband of a former student, and I trimmed another door. He comes once each week from Williamsburg to help me and this is how the project is getting finished; one helper at a time.

The key to our continued progress is giving a sense of ownership to each volunteer with the knowledge they are building voiuchers for free gelato once we are open. In fact. I owe so much gelato to volunteers that it may be several years before a profit can be made, but that's as it should be. Afterall, this is a community affair and it is such fun to get to know wonderful college students and other adults as we work together to create something we can all be proud to "own.'

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 36

I will be 80 in October.  I am a CPA and am in my office 5 days a week (one of my partners will

be 91 in June and comes in every day)

I am also an elelcted member of the Town Council  in the town that I live in.  I usually spend several hours a week on Town business.

My wife and I have been married 55 years.

We still live in our home that we built in 1968

My wife (she just turned 77)  and I still drive our own cars

We are very fortunate that our children, grand children and great grandcildren live in rhe area

and we are a very active participants in their lives.

I am in a profession that does not have much physical demands, but as long as my

cognative skills stay relativly in tact, I see my self working for several more years.

Your brain is like everything else, use it or lose it.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 36

I appreciate all the replies and find some very inyeresting.

I find a lot of similar occupations to my work life.

After I retired and started working again I drove cars for a Car Rental Agency and worked about 30 hours a week. Then I tiook courses on doing taxes and got certified and did taxes for a number of years, but found that I was working long hours and there were few rewards.

The work I do now is very rewarding and as I approach my 81st Birthday I have taken on an additional shift and have no intention of ever retiring.

As I tell all my friends, "If I don't work, at the end of the day I am still in my Night Clothes and what have I really accomplished? NOTHING!!!" "Life has more to offer than that and I want to enjoy my Life"

Johninnevada

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 36
I am not over 80 yet but will be next month. I normally work 24 hours per week as a security officer at a residential condo and townhouse development. Also, work a nine hour shift at a shopping complex and several hours as an office assistant. My hours vary handing out packages delivered by the USPS. I am not a couch potato and don't like to be idle. Plus, the money helps.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 36
I am 82 and still have a little bookkeeping business and also do income taxes annually - since 1983. I feel it keeps me sharp and interested in what's going on in this country and the world in general. I don't have any signs of dementia and am interested in a lot of different things. I love to do a good job for my clients and believe they appreciate me.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 36

Well done John. I have another 7 or so years to go, but, I think that I would go crazy if I didn't go to work.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 36

I am 71, retired at end of 2013 and would like to work for a few more years

I applaud anyone working into their 80's

Kudos