Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿ’ผ In YOUR Opinion, Are ROBOTS The Answer To Labor Shortage?

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ผ In YOUR Opinion, Are ROBOTS The Answer To Labor Shortage?

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

Read comments and/or comment.

๐Ÿ—ฃBy KAVITA KUMAR , STAR TRIBUNE. April 22, 2023 - 3:52 PM.

ARTICLE TITLE: Minnesota restaurants, senior homes turn to robots amid labor shortage.

โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘‰โ€ŒLink to online information๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Nicole ๐Ÿ’ผ (Work & Jobs Forum)

Kudos
Views
Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read comments and/or comment.

๐Ÿ—ฃBy KAVITA KUMAR , STAR TRIBUNE. April 22, 2023 - 3:52 PM.

ARTICLE TITLE: Minnesota restaurants, senior homes turn to robots amid labor shortage.

โ€Œ๐Ÿ‘‰โ€ŒLink to online information๐Ÿ‘ˆ 

Nicole ๐Ÿ’ผ (Work & Jobs Forum)

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

This one deserves a #Codedbias.

...Now I'm going to head out to left field because this is not a particularly new development...not even the apparent 'advanced' development of the robot in the article.  Japan has been deploying robots like this in its own territory for years now.

What gets marketed as A.I. these days is nowhere near ready to take over the world and destroy or enslave humanity.  The most immediate, existential hazard posed by what currently passes for A.I. is how little we understand the human mind and our own thought and behavioral processes.  A.I. in its current state is still just elaborately developed software.  Software code written by human beings who, either consciously or unconsciously, write their own personal biases into the code.

What seems surprising is that these things (robots & A.I.) don't seem to be turning up in any widely publicized conspiracy theories...especially regarding Climate Change.  I mean even that nutjob down in Texas who went bananas over Sandy Hook could put together a seemingly cogent argument on the topic. 

For Example:  'The Super Rich who consider themselves the very epitome of human development are using Climate Change to cull the human population.  That's why the response has been so inept.  When it is done, we will be replaced by robots and what passes, today, for A.I.'.

When it comes to Technology, the questions always seem to be off track i.e. 'Should we develop it?'. 

Far more important than whether we develop technology is how we develop it, how we use it, and whether or not technology is an element of Natural Selection for sentient species.

The ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all had technologies to terminate pregnancy and we're so insane we're still (thousands of years later) arguing over whether it should exist rather than the safe-est most appropriate way to use it.

Then there is the question of whether species can develop technology so much faster than they develop the prosocial cultural values and skills to cope with it that they end up wiping themselves out with their own technology.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Instead of IMPROVING working conditions, pay and benefits, they are spending way too much on robots.

What happens when a robot malfunctions?

What about repair costs?

No, this is CREATING more "problems" and adding to our economic issues. TREAT employees in a "humane" way and they will STAY and tell others what a GREAT place it is to work.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

(1 comment) Instead of IMPROVING working conditions, pay and benefits, they are spending way too much on robots.

What happens when a robot malfunctions?

What about repair costs?

No, this is CREATING more "problems" and adding to our economic issues. TREAT employees in a "humane" way and they will STAY and tell others what a GREAT place it is to work.

Nicole ๐Ÿ™‚

OH, I think certain jobs are very adaptive to A.I. replacements and employers will love to have them - cost and all - because they are probably still cheaper than a human employee -Think about it -

• no more wages paid  
  • no more FICA tax match 
  • no more Federal or state unemployment insurance 
  • no more employee health insurance contributions 
  • no more retirement account contributions - 
  • no more having to plan around sick or personal days

Course then the government is gonna have to figure out a way fund programs that are based on workerโ€™s earned income.

Wonder what people are gonna do that rely on jobs that are easily replaced by A.I.?  Might be best to start planning ahead.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As soon as ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE is perfected, we, as humans, better be aware that we may not be able to control the robots of the future. Our species might be threatened by robots that are aware and learn from their awareness. That is why so many scientists are saying to slow down our perfection of ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE until we get a handle on what we are getting ourselves into.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP