Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 41 of 45

@retiredtraveler - I have a classic story I tell:

I loved the work I was doing in the late 1990s into 2001; I was probably putting in 60 hrs/week, including time I took home a laptop so I could work on a corporate mainframe over weekends. In January 2001, my Mom's cancer had spread, and she became hospice-eligible. I took a Family Medical Leave, to take care of her affairs, as well as get her older sister ready to move in with me. Officially when Mom died, I had to continue the leave as just personal time off, until I could get my aunt moved. And just as I was getting ready to sell Mom's house, I fell there, breaking my right heel .. not covered as "paid sick time" as part of an unpaid leave. I couldn't return to work until mid-July. I was anxious to get back to work, but still building up my stamina walking.

My first day back on the job, my boss - newly assigned my group - informed me I had to go for training in another plant location. Having to find parking midday was impossible, and I just couldn't walk from a far-out spot. I asked to drive directly there to take the class the following morning, and my boss balked .. that day just happened to be the deadline for the class. I said, "I've been out on leave 7 months, and could easily have come back tomorrow or the next day; would I have been penalized for being automatically "late" for training I knew nothing about?! I'll take full responsibility, if anyone complains that I took it past the deadline" He just looked at me. That was the moment .. after 7 months out .. I decided to retire, because I couldn't believe that a manager didn't have the balls to make a better common-sense decision!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 45

"...Most people who've had at least a 25 year career, have gotten to see corporate management - small or large company - do whatever is best for THEM, not the employees necessarily....".

What cynicism!!! And true! I agree!

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 45

Most people who've had at least a 25 year career, have gotten to see corporate management - small or large company - do whatever is best for THEM, not the employees necessarily. I bet we could collectively write a book, with incredible stories about employees getting the short end of things (nicer than saying they got sk.rewed), when they offered that info early, or were too accommodating. After those experiences, it makes most of us self-protective, while still giving 100%+ to our jobs.

I would give my notice of retirement when it's expected in that company, whether that's 2 weeks ahead, 3 months or something else .. and not more than a week extra! Someone I know gave her boss very early notice, and they immediately assigned her subbordinate (AKA replacement) to her full-time for training. Two weeks before the date she planned to leave, they told her they didn't need her those 2 weeks .. and didn't pay her! The boss also identified all the special reports that would have to be done the month after she'd left, and despite her training her own replacement, the boss told her to do as much of those extra reports ahead of time, as she had information for.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 45

I would assume there are no more than a handful of people left in the world that stay at a job long enough to announce they are retiring in a year. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 45 of 45

I just entered my final year of work. I informed my boss of my retirement date and told him I wanted to make this a productive year. I have always been a high performer in the office and want to make sure my departure leaves the staff in good shape. I am a very active volunteer and leader in my area. I didn’t see that changing this year.

Perhaps I am overreacting but I see a difference in how I am treated. I get the feeling that my boss has determined that I am retired in place (RIP). I just reviewed my annual performance review. It was high in praise and acknowledging my performance as usual but my rating was just midpoint. I am pretty certain this is to allow those in need of raises and more permanent to the company to get them. I can kind of see the logic and at the same time see it as unfair. It’s the first time I have ever been unhppy with my review.

Have other people seen this type of behavior in your final year of work? I want to remain positive and productive but feel this type of environment will wear me out. I don’t want to count the days and dread going to work, especially from a job I have loved over the years.

Tom

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Want to take your career or business to the next level? Coaches Tarnoff and Hall are here to help!