Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Final Year Pre-retirement

Message 11 of 45

I entered retirement last week. I thought I would give some final thoughts for anyone following this thread. My final year was very hectic. There was a scramble for me to get as much done and transitioned as possible before my departure. I was given a substantial project seven months out. I did get quite a bit done and set the direction of this project for my successor. I was able to train a successor who does my job well.

I had one bad experience that left me questioning a person I considered a friend for 20+ years at work. In my final month, the department was reordg’d and I was assigned to a new manager. She was a former coworker and my manager in the past. I thought this was OK. Unfortunately, she had different views and priorities than my preceding manager.

She was constantly challenging me to get more done. I was fully booked. She even confided in coworkers that she believed “I had checked out.” That statement upsets me because I did everything possible to leave things in good shape. Many people check out but I worked until minutes before my farewell reception.

I hated that I left with a broken friendship. Over the past days reflecting, I came to realize that she was in a panic with my departure. She could have handled the friction better. I could have handled it better too. Now it’s time to move on. Sad that it will be without a person I worked with for 20+ years. That, my friends, is why I will never again enter corporate America.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45
Good luck as you plan your final year. Actually, 3 months into that final year and things are good. I work in a close knit work group where we are all senior techies. Over the years we have become friends beyond coworkers. It was only natural to share our retirement dreams. I am fortunate to work for a super employer that focuses on employees. I know that is rare. I am still enjoying my work.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

The difference in giving notice differs from the civilian workforce and the federal government.  There are requirements that certain paperwork must be done within a timeframe.  Even after retirement it took three months for my retirement paycheck to stabilize. Since I retired the end of September I didn't know exactly how much I would have every month until February.  Everyone's situation is different.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

There have been many good posts and advice here..  I still have a year or so to go but if there is anything that I have learned from my years of work it is to think and decide what is best for you, not to discuss those ideas with co-workers unless you really trust them, to make a plan of your own and to move forward with it.  The company will always do what is policy and best for them and so should you.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Bro.  After 39 years of high performance ratings I was about flunked.  Massive new projects were added so that I couldn't do a good job.  I didn't need the money so I retired to rid myself of the stress.  A year or so later they closed the office I worked out of.  Their goal was reached.  They avoided paying me a lot of severance pay by forcing me out.  Do nor trust corporate America.  They will take advantage of you.  Get them for all you can before they get you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

Yes, I saw this type of behavior directed at many of my coworkers over the years. I took note of this behavior and it helped me plan my own exit.  As I approached reirement age, I never discussed reirement with anyone other than my wife. When I was ready to retire, I met with my boss. We found a mutual date suitable for me to retire and I walked out the door on that date. I worked at the same place for 39 years and I feel good about the way my retirement was handled.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45
Thanks for a positive response. It has taken some time, but I now understand my role is changing and my responsibilities. I am transitioning out. I know it's a shared responsibility. I'll do my part. Management needs to do their part. I can't control that.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45
Those are true statements. Nothing has changed. LOL. There are hard parts of being a boss that most people do not like or do. I was a manager for a time and disliked it immensely. I understand that I am a technologist and that's my strengths. I'll roll with the flow but still continuing doing the right things.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

My final year before retirement, became a lot less stresssful as soon as I began the retirement process.  My immediate and next level bosses became incredibly nice to me.  I was no longer pushed to improve performance beyond reasonable limits, and not harrassed in any way.  In fact, the work environment became so good, I was a little saddened it had not been so comfortable in the previous 20 years.  I was given a retirement party at work, and the senior person in the city came and gave me a certificate, (crappy) wrist watch, and a picture of him shaking my hand.  My second level manager offered to secure for me a part time position, however, I told him my retirement meant complete retirement.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

"...Chalk up another 2 in a year and my boss can't continue this path. I beleive the 6 month notice for early retirement is meant to force the boss to plan. It just does not happen.....".

Of course, I have no idea of the background and capabilities of your boss. I know, from my decades in corporate IT,  there was a good percentage of people promoted to supervisory levels because they were good at their respective IT jobs. However, they were not management material.
   We used to call this being promoted to your highest level of incompetency.

I've been a non-working bum for some years now, so don't know if this has changed or not. There was such a push to promote from within, but it was done regardless of skills at higher levels. That is, good people, good employees, put into positions they couldn't handle.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.