Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Entry- Level Job at 60?

Hi, 

I'm a 60-year-old woman looking for a position related to my interest in PR and Social Media, in which I have some experience. I've found a virtual position listed at a PR and Social Media marketing firm in need of a PR Assistant (not on the AARP job board). It appears to be entry-level with one line in the description stating that it's great for building connections, reputation, etc.

It sounds like the modern version of a PR job I had right out of college that involved researching where to get the word out about our project. 

My background is similar enough and they are offering training and don't mind if the applicant's experience is not exact. I could do this job but I'm 60, not 22.

Is it even worth applying for this position? Do you think they'd consider an older worker? If I did should I mention up front that I'm older or wait until they get to the bottom of my functional resume and the year I graduated college? Should I ask in my cover letter email if they'd consider the position to be a "Returnship?"

Are there any Career Coaches or current or former Human Relations people on this forum who might be able to weigh in?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hello JT,

I have written 3 career search books. More importantly, I am the Google Ranked #1 "Talent Attraction Consultant". My career advice is based on my 40+ years of Professional, not HR, Recruiting.

Not everyone will agree with my advice. However, it comes from working with over 1,000 hiring managers, several thousand candidates, and since 1981, I have read over 400,000 resumes.

Put yourself in a Hiring Manager's shoes. A candidate, that you invite for an interview based on the 10 - 15 years of experience shown on their resume, appears for an interview. You are expecting to see a 36 to 41 year old. The person you greet is obviously much older. What is your level of comfort with the veracity of their interview responses?

In all three of my Career Search books, I recommend that candidates search for companies that interest them. Then find someone to help you network into a new position. My most recent book, EXPECT SUCCESS! The Science Of The Over 50 Career Search, received a 5 STAR Review (Very Unusual for a career search book!) and was recognized by C-Suite Network as 1 of 100+ Best Business Books. 

Over the past 40+ years of professional recruiting, I have recruited many candidates in their 60s, most gave me a clue to their age in their resume but my client needed their skills. In 2020, I coached a 67 year old CFO who was laid off from his position. He was certain that he was done, but wanted to continue to contribute to an organization. I coached him and he found another position with an organization that paid him more than his previous position - And he was able to work part-time!

A positive mental attitude is important in this process. You got this!  You will succeed - I am rooting for you!  Feel free to reach out to me.

RecruiterGuy
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, JT! I found my last (before retirement) position when I was 60. While I feared there might be age-related concerns, I found after a few years of that job, age never was an issue...

They liked my enthusiasm, appreciated my concern for customer care; they appreciated ME, sight/age not included.

I'd recommend being yourself; if that doesn't land the job you want, re-evaluate and move forward to what's best?

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

Hi WebWiseWoman, 

Thanks for your reply. Did you indicate that you were over 60 in your cover letter? They will figure out my age when the see when I graduated college, which is fine. Just wondering if I should try say it upfront lightheartedly in the cover letter?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

JT, I did not, as that might be considered "baiting", I'd think.

I did follow AARP resume recommendations and limit the years on my resume to the last 10-15 years, which I think got me the interview; then went into detail during interview, which I guess sold them on me, not my age, but experience, enthusiasm, and qualifications?

hth

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP