Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 298
Great response!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 298

So sorry that people on this site is experiencing such disgusting behavior. I at one time fought to keep my job and retire under my own terms. What I experience may not relate to some of you but hopefully it will.

Once I was age 50 that was the beginning of the war. The young ones thought they were smarter than me but that proved to be disproved. Once they finally figured out I had very active brain cells and smart, they tried to open up the top of my head and suck all the knowledge out. The plan was for me to train the young ones so they could discard me. But wait.....I started being the person they thought I was an old, stubborn, non-conformist..... the sterotypical senior. I continued to do my job exceptionally as usual but refused to train anyone. You are not obligated to train anyone. I retired at age 65 on my own terms, knowledge still in my head.

Not all young people are misinformed, so don't label them the way most label us. Those that think they know everything will fail, why, because when you think you are a legend, you are really a legend in your own mind. Some young people think they are knowledgeable because of computers when standing before them are people who actually lived through the very things they see on the internet. Sad and pathetic. History repeats itself....they have no history. Let them stay ignorant in their smartness.

You have to fight back. File complaints, get a lawyer, file with the state, the feds whoever you need to file with. More important document, document, document ......

I have filed so many complaints that I was know as the person not to mess with. I am telling you  you are as powerless as you think you are. I am black, a senior, a female......triple threat....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

HR?

Message 3 of 298

Does HR help or hinder? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 298

@41454145 , from my experiance, most seniors are resistant to change.  In some cases that is warrented in the others that is a weekness. 

Why should the younger genertion cellibrate you?  What have you done for them that they know of?

In this new work world we need to work fast or retire.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 298

Jobs that are competative in nature.  Jobs that are highly desired!  Jobs that pay a lot.  This jobs are 

mostly in the business world such as; sales. If you can really sale you can make more money than

a V.P. of a company.  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 298

What do you mean by "Applying for non-competitional positions"? I'm confused.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 298

I don't know?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 298

What really needs to happen in the work world are managers who have management skills!!!  No one

who is 20 to 29 years old should be a manager!!!   They don't have enough life skills and haven't

seen a good variety of problems and have enough experience to be a manager and are NOT MATURE enough either.  I have witnessed all of this myself.  No manager in any company should be allowed to micro-manage it is a form of bullying!!  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 298

I am so sorry for all you had to go threw with your cancer and job!  Companies only care about the

black bottom line, making a profit!

I, too, hated the gossip during my working years, but am retired now and don't have to deal with it

anymore.  

The best thing to do is to do your best everyday and mind your on business and never ever contribute to gossip, because whatever you say will be repeated; you can bet on it.  If you have to

talk about what is going on in your work world talk with someone who has never worked at your company!  We all need to talk sometimes; it makes us feel better to get it out in the open.

I have been recruited to do a job here in my community and someone saw my skills!!!

You know, Perry, everything works out in the end!  Just learn from all of your experience whether it

it good or bad, right?!

Take good care and I wish you the best life has to offer!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 298

@41454145, thanks for mentioning seniors do get slow. Too many think the younger generations have no reason to get on our case.  That attitude makes troube for seniors. We are more resistant to change.  Some of that is because we have seen simelar actions fail in the past.  We do have value. 

Kudos
Views