It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 31 of 295

Congratulations, Betty, keep it unless you are abused and micro-managing is abuse!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 295

Not looking for work, am employed, 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 295

@BettyB374802

Sorry you feel that way. I have received 15 to 20 kudos so some find my suggestions helpful. About a decade ago I almost lost my house due to very poor job hunting skills. I thought I knew what I was doing but really didn’t have a clue as to how to find a job in a hostile job market. I was looking during the period where unemployment was .1% below a depression. Now we are at the lowest unemployment in a half century.   If you think you have it bad try looking when the job market is 4 times tighter. Since the only reason I didn’t lose my house was people gave me needed advice means I feel I have a debt to the community. I haven’t looked for a job in 5 years.  I know very well most seniors will react like you but not EVERYONE. I happen to know one person credited me and my advice for getting a job on this forum.  That was a few years back.

The adage “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks”. Is what preventing us from using the latest techniques. Bosses what employees to do things their way not your way. Most seniors are seen as trouble, so no one wants to hire us. Out of 30 seniors I know who were job hunting I and one other got a decent paying job. One of the biggest changes to job hunting is an application weeds out the loser resumes, so the human doesn’t waist their time on losers. It looks for words and phrases. Some are positive for the specific opening and others are a short cut to the trash. Any one looking for a job needs to know what the negative one are. Most negatives are not job specific. @aol.com is one killer. I know 2 persons who had that in their resume. One died jobless after 5 years. The othr jot a piza delivery job after being an IT manager. The first only got 2 face to face interviews in those 5 years but he wouldn’t get a up to date email address.  Luckily he died and his wife got enough insurace to live for another decde.  Thank GOD I wasn’t that pig headed! I started to change my resume even though I had a professional resume writer touch up that resume. Now I know those resume writers wrote resumes for pending contracts. They have no clue what staffing managers will like. That isn’t their market. I needed 5 serious rewrites before I had a resume close to a winner. My original resume was only about 5% right. Now it is 95% right. If I send out 10 resumes to 10 jobs I qualify for, I will get 9 or 10 interviews. That is how you know  you are cooking with gas. When it isn’t right, you will have hundreds of suggestions how to fix it. Half are opposite to the other half. When it is right, everyone agrees it is a great resume. IF SOMEONE REVIEWS YOUR RESUME AND SAYS IT IS LACKING, they are probably right. Their suggestions may not be right. Once you have a decent resume it is down hill from there even if job hunting is always painful. Next you need to work on interview skills. With a good resume you get enough practice to master that skill.

As for having better days… I am 69 and still working. I am making more than I ever have in my life and putting maximum in both my 401k and IRA. I have amassed more than double by financial goal to retire. Better days will be sitting in the Florida keys, on the beach, with a tropical rum drink in my hand. My wife and kids are set. I have a great portfolio manager and accountant.  My finances are all ready on autorun.  I sent the last year on estate planning I have a plan that only the ultra rich had last century. My wealth remains under my control even after I die so there is NO inheritance. If my kids get divorced or go bankrupt no one can touch MY MONEY. They can only use it per my instructions. Still, I am meeting with a financial advisor next week and attended a seminar on the recent tax changes. It takes effort to keep your hard earned money in your pockets and not in Uncle Sam's or some other preditor's.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 295

I'm with @sherrys21502  on this one.

HR is aware of discrimination and won’t mention any incriminating statement in an interview (recording the interview is a null effort). By the time HR interviews you, they already know your age. They conduct the interview because a) You are qualified; b) they don’t have another candidate now; c) they can pay you cheaper wages; d) you have a specific skill they are after; e) because it’s a legal requirement due to the nature of their business to do so.

A week or so later, emails arrive with responses like “Despite your excellent resume, we went with another candidate whose skills and qualifications are more aligned … blah blah”. I am fully aware of my capabilities and don’t apply where I’m not qualified.

The amount of time and effort I’ve have spent editing my resume (I have to backtrack many times over to the original) to get past the bots into HR hands and preparing for interviews is a total waste. Really, all of this for a job that is probably going to cost me more than not working at all… More gas, more car repairs, more box lunches, more tolls, traffic, more STRESS, and, in turn, more medical bills.

Although I keep an eye on the job boards and may occasionally send my resume, my focus has shifted to virtual jobs and, since I cultivated my hobby as a small business, attending mixers including social ones helps prevent stagnation. Who you know is still the best route to a job.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 295
You go girl!!
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 295
"Crossing over"? What exactly do you mean?
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 295
Pretty much the same here. Bureau of Labor Stats concurs that there are PLENTY of people like us out there -- have given up & occupying selves with other things.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 295
"As long as I possibly can!"
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 295
Thank you Betty. I concur.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 295

You cannot prove age discrimination.  It is too difficult to prove.

Kudos
Views