Take the IQ Quiz: How Prepared Are You to Avoid Scams and Fraud? Earn Double Reward Points!

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 71 of 75

Good morning and welcome to the AARP Online Community!

Age Discrimination, is the second in a series of topics brought to you by AARP.

This is a great chance to connect with an AARP Work & Job experts.

Ask AARP Expert Laurie McCann (@LMcCann) your questions and share your stories here!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 72 of 75

Yes, I have experienced age discrimination.

I am a highly qualified special education teacher over the age of 50. I have been employed as a part time tutor for a local company for the last 7 years.

My real passion was always to become a special education resource classroom teacher or an in-class support teacher.  I have yet to be hired in a school district full time or part time. I have applied to many teaching jobs in  New Jersey.  I have had several interviews but no offers. I received rejection letters from those interviews and kept them all in a manilla folder. Discouraged by the constant reminder that I have not reached my full potential as a teacher, I shredded the rejection letters.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: AGE

Message 74 of 75

@rr5835

There are no rules which say an employer cannot ask your birthday and it would be almost impossible  to know if your age has anything to do with being suitable for a job until at least, the interview process is further along.

EEOC.gov - Facts About Age Discrimination

Accentuate your skills on the application.  

Good,Luck,on your job search.

Info Seeker

Message 75 of 75

Have you had to look for a job lately and on the application they ask for your birthday ?  Is that the way they got around asking your age ?

Also, if anyone in the Maryland area is looking for a smart intelligent, loyal employee, get in touch with me.  I am having a horrible time procuring employment .  I don't need a hand out, I need a hand up.

My skill sets are awesome, yet I don't get any interiews or even phone cakls.  Please, if someone out therre can help please contact me <removed to protect your privacy>

Thank You all very much

I have to get out of thhis house.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 73 of 75

Work-Jobs-Banner-02 (1).png

Have you experienced age discrimination? Laurie McCann is a Senior Attorney with AARP Foundation Litigation where her principal responsibilities include litigation and amicus curiae (impartial advisor) participation for AARP on a broad range of age discrimination and other employment issues.

Ask AARP Expert Laurie your questions about age discrimination, and share your experience.