Community Manager
Community Manager

Who was your favorite Norman Lear sitcom character

Norman Lear, producer of such iconic hits as All in the Family, was recently celebrated as AARP’s first TV for Grownups honoree and toasted by friends and stars of his many shows on the occasion of his 96th birthday. (Read more...)

Who was your favorite Norman Lear sitcom character?

Regular Contributor

JJ from Good Times.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Maude.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Everybody's favorite dingbat, Edith Bunker!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Archie Bunker, of course!  America's favorite bigot.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

LET'S FACE IT MR. LEARS CONTRIBUTION TO AMERICAN TELEVISION IS ENORMOUS.  I CANNOT THINK OF A CHARACTER IN HIS REPITIOR THAT HE MADE A MISTAKE ON.  YOU WATCH ARCHIE BUNKER, HE WAS EVERYONE FATHER.  EDITH, MIKE AND GLORIA, YOU KNEW THEN T00.  BUT THE CHARACTER STUNNED ALL OF AMERICA WAS "MAUDE".  SHE WAS THE WOMAN WHO DARED TO SPEAK UP.  THE WOMEN IN MOST PEOPLES LIFE WERE EDITH.  SWEET, INEFFECTUAL TRYING TO IMPROVE THE WORLD BY FINDING A WAY TO LIVE WITH THAT LOUD MOUTH BORE.

NOT MAUDE, SHE LOOKED EVERYONE STRAIGHT IN THE EYE, AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT SHE REALLY THOUGH OF STUPID, DISRESPECTFUL, CLASSLESS KNUCKLE DRAGGERS.  SHE MADE A LOT OF THOSE PEOPLE UNHAPPY, BUT SINCE THOSE PEOPLE THOUGHT NOTHING OF BEING MEAN STUPID LOUDMOUTH BIGOTS, SHE WAS NEVER AT LOSS WHEN TELLING THEM JUST WHAT SHE THOUGHT OF THEM.  MY HERO.

Regular Contributor

My favorite character was Archie Bunker.  My Dad's initials were also A.B. and my Mom said that was not a coincidence.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Norman who?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Fred Sanford in "Sanford and Son"

Contributor

Archie Bunker!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Archie Bunker. Ground breaking television played perfectly by O Connor. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Maude followed closely by Florence on the Jeffersons, a show my sister worked on. I was friends with Isabel Sanford's sister, Emma, and Marla Gibbs' daughter, Angela!

Regular Contributor

Edith.

Archie Bunker absolutely #1

Contributor

Archie Bunker with Edith Bunker as a close second!

Contributor

Archie Bunker: no contest here.
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Archie and Edith for sure!

Also, the Jefferson's maid, Florence, played by Marla Gibbs. What a hoot! N.

Contributor

Archie & Edith will always be # 1 in my book.  I still catch the reruns when I can.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Fred and Lamont Sanford. Great show.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 wrote:

Archie and Edith for sure!

Also, the Jefferson's maid, Florence, played by Marla Gibbs. What a hoot! N.

Yes. Actually the whole cast of All in the Family were really good in their characters.  Meathead.  Hahahahaha 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPLynne wrote:

Norman Lear, producer of such iconic hits as All in the Family, was recently celebrated as AARP’s first TV for Grownups honoree and toasted by friends and stars of his many shows on the occasion of his 96th birthday. (Read more...)

Who was your favorite Norman Lear sitcom character?

Great question!!   Thanks for posting it!  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

"One Day at a Time" debuted when I was Barbara Cooper's age so she and Julie's situations and issues were relatable (I adored Elton too and was jealous of the poster on the wall). I loved Ann Romano because she as a mother was evolving in contrast to Edith, Louise and Maude.  I've loved Rita Moreno forever but I'll always love the original sitcom more, but I digress.

Favorite character however? Both Bunkers, can't choose one. There's a reason BOTH chairs are in the Smithsonian.
0 Kudos

Without a doubt Archie Bunker!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I would have to vote for George Jefferson (played by the late Sherman Hemsley). Sometimes I'd laugh myself to tears, he was so good! 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

Archie  Bunker,  hands down  the  best!

Contributor

My all time favorite character of Norman Lear’s is actually a toss-up between Archie Bunker and Edith Bunker. Both characters are so memorable and are used to sometimes describe people’s behavior or actions even in today’s crazy world!! 😄

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Boy Norman Lear truly was the king of sitcom. 

So many great ones.  Maude.  George Jefferson.  Edith Bunker.  But I gotta go with Archie. 😂

Do you think any of these shows could come back in today’s world?

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

Do you think any of these shows could come back in today’s world?

That's a very interesting question to ponder! They are still popular in reruns.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png