Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Who was your favorite Norman Lear sitcom character

Message 1 of 24

LET'S FACE IT MR. LEARS CONTRIBUTION TO AMERICAN TELEVISION IS ENORMOUS.  I CANNOT THINK OF A CHARACTER IN HIS REPITIOR THAT HE MADE A MISTAKE ON.  YOU WATCH ARCHIE BUNKER, HE WAS EVERYONE FATHER.  EDITH, MIKE AND GLORIA, YOU KNEW THEN T00.  BUT THE CHARACTER STUNNED ALL OF AMERICA WAS "MAUDE".  SHE WAS THE WOMAN WHO DARED TO SPEAK UP.  THE WOMEN IN MOST PEOPLES LIFE WERE EDITH.  SWEET, INEFFECTUAL TRYING TO IMPROVE THE WORLD BY FINDING A WAY TO LIVE WITH THAT LOUD MOUTH BORE.

NOT MAUDE, SHE LOOKED EVERYONE STRAIGHT IN THE EYE, AND LET YOU KNOW WHAT SHE REALLY THOUGH OF STUPID, DISRESPECTFUL, CLASSLESS KNUCKLE DRAGGERS.  SHE MADE A LOT OF THOSE PEOPLE UNHAPPY, BUT SINCE THOSE PEOPLE THOUGHT NOTHING OF BEING MEAN STUPID LOUDMOUTH BIGOTS, SHE WAS NEVER AT LOSS WHEN TELLING THEM JUST WHAT SHE THOUGHT OF THEM.  MY HERO.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 24

My favorite character was Archie Bunker.  My Dad's initials were also A.B. and my Mom said that was not a coincidence.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 24

Norman who?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 24
Archie Bunker: no contest here.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 24

Fred Sanford in "Sanford and Son"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 24

Archie & Edith will always be # 1 in my book.  I still catch the reruns when I can.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 24

Fred and Lamont Sanford. Great show.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 24
"One Day at a Time" debuted when I was Barbara Cooper's age so she and Julie's situations and issues were relatable (I adored Elton too and was jealous of the poster on the wall). I loved Ann Romano because she as a mother was evolving in contrast to Edith, Louise and Maude.  I've loved Rita Moreno forever but I'll always love the original sitcom more, but I digress.

Favorite character however? Both Bunkers, can't choose one. There's a reason BOTH chairs are in the Smithsonian.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 24

My all time favorite character of Norman Lear’s is actually a toss-up between Archie Bunker and Edith Bunker. Both characters are so memorable and are used to sometimes describe people’s behavior or actions even in today’s crazy world!! 😄

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 24

Without a doubt Archie Bunker!

Kudos
Views