Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security , spouse benefit

My husband is 59 and I am 70.  Been married 30 years. 

I started receiving SS at age 63 on my record.   I was reading I may be able to claim on my husbands account as I am now age 70.  Not sure what deeming means or how this works or if it applies to us. 

My husband is not on SS yet.  We also have one disabled child on SSI.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@mcollins94404 wrote:

My husband is 59 and I am 70.  Been married 30 years. 

I started receiving SS at age 63 on my record.   I was reading I may be able to claim on my husbands account as I am now age 70.  Not sure what deeming means or how this works or if it applies to us. 

My husband is not on SS yet.  We also have one disabled child on SSI.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

At the present time, since your husband is not yet retired, you cannot claim spousal benefits.

Social Security Administration: Benefits for Spouses 

from the link ~ 1st sentence

When a worker files for retirement benefits, the worker's spouse may be eligible for a benefit based on the worker's earnings.

Now when he retires and files for his benefits, you can determine what your benefit would be under Spousal Benefits and compare it to what you are then getting. That is several years away even if he files for early retirement at age 62 and receives a reduced benefit.

Social Security Adm. FAQ: Deemed Filing 

"Deemed Filing" will not affect your filing for Spousal Benefits when your husband retires and files for his benefits because you turned age 62 before January 2, 2016.   However, at the time your husband files for his benefits, his benefit will be scrutinized as to which of his benefits are greater (deemed filing) - his own or as a spouse based on your benefit.  Most likely his own benefit will be higher - then you can determine where your best benefit will be greater -

When your husband decides to file for his SS benefits, perhaps both of you should go to the local SS office and have them run all the numbers for you including a benefit for your disabled child IF they meet the criteria for a disabled Adult childs benefit and depending on what the numbers show is better for them and you - SSI / an Adult Child's SS benefit / Family Benefit.

Social Security Adm. - Benefits for Children 

Yea, it is complicated especially since your situation is kinda outside the "norm" - revisit your decision when your husband is ready to file for SS.

I came back to edit and add that the age of "70" isn't any benefit to you in your situation - the age of 70 is only beneficial to those who delay filing for their own benefits until the age of 70 so that their delayed retirement credits (about 8% per year from full retirement age to age 70) are added into their retirement benefit. 

Even if your husband waited until 70 to retire, your spousal benefit would not be computed to include these delayed retirement credits.  However, these delayed retirement credits are included in any Survivors benefits.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP