Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Social Security Error

Hello Again, 

Three years ago My 86 year old Mother-in-law who lost her husband who was receiving Social Security Retirement. She called to inquire about Survivor’s Benefits as a Widow & was told she was eligible for a certain amount every month. She had been receiving it until she received a letter from Social Security stating that she should not have received it & has to pay them back. I don’t agree that ANYONE should have to repay Social Security due to the errors of those employees who should KNOW about Social Security. They are mistreating the vulnerable & giving them the run around also in having them do telephone interviews as well. They know the majority probably aren’t tech savvy either. It’s happening a lot now & something needs to be done about it.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I was told that I had an $11,000 overpayment last year.  Turns out that I didn’t.  It was a miscommunication between the IRS and Social Security.  But I was caught in the middle and Social Security wanted their money back IMMEDIATELY!  They really didn’t give me any time to respond but I called my local office and they helped set things straight.  I heard that the Biden administration has stopped the extreme collection tactics and is giving people waivers, or at least collecting in smaller payments.

Trusted Social Butterfly

(4/14/24) @AZBlueSkies , I am glad they straightened things out. Gosh, I would have had my 1st heart attack at soon to be 66 IF I was in YOUR situation.  Makes you wonder how many ERRORS have been made and NOT dictated!!! People LOSING their savings, homes and sanity. Thanks for sharing!  👵 [@AARPConsumerCare , there is NO need for you to "respond" to MY post. Thanks!]

[*** @AZBlueSkies wrote:

I was told that I had an $11,000 overpayment last year.  Turns out that I didn’t.  It was a miscommunication between the IRS and Social Security.  But I was caught in the middle and Social Security wanted their money back IMMEDIATELY!  They really didn’t give me any time to respond but I called my local office and they helped set things straight.  I heard that the Biden administration has stopped the extreme collection tactics and is giving people waivers, or at least collecting in smaller payments. ***]

Community Concierge

Thanks for sharing, @claudinem93014. For information about how to file an appeal visit: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10058.pdf or contact the Social Security Administration (SSA): 1-800-772-1213. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

DianeG @AARPConsumerCare 

That’s not the kind of appeal @claudinem93014 needs or is it what she is asking about   - the info you gave her was for an appeal when denied SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance ) or SSi (Supplemental Security Income) for a non-medical reason.

@claudinem93014  is talking about an OVERPAYMENT- she said in her post:

“ . . . . .She had been receiving it until she received a letter from Social Security stating that she should not have received it & has to pay them back.”

Completely different - I think I gave her a place to start in my post to her about overpayments. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@claudinem93014 

TheSocial Security Administration is bound by law to collect any overpayment.  As to whether or not the overpayment is justified - not enough info to make a determination here.  

Your MIL or her legal designate can file an appeal - 

SSA.gov - Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery 

SSA.gov - Waive repayment of overpaid Social Security benefits

The SSA (Social Security Administration) has a new sheriff in town - a new head to the agency - and he has made some changes to the rate of repayment even if the claim of overpayment is justified.

Social Security News Release 03/29/2024 - Social Security Eliminates Overpayment Burden for Social S...

Good Luck 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP