Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

SSI or any benefit for non citizen 73 years old with greencard?

Contributor

SSI or any benefit for non citizen 73 years old with greencard?

Need help from community to see if I'm eligible to any benefits If I'm:

1- Permentant resident card holder for 7 years.

2- Never worked or had any income in the US.

3- Have multiple medical problems including back issues.

4- Currntly living with my son at a side appartment in his property.

5- Getting overseas pension payment of $300 a month equivelant in other currency.

6- Currently have Medicaid and they sent me a letter to apply for Medicare to continue medical benefits.

Please assist by guidance what are my options - Appreciate all the help - God Bless

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time and valuable answers - I'm going through the links to learn more.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JeffT194807 wrote:

Need help from community to see if I'm eligible to any benefits If I'm:

1- Permentant resident card holder for 7 years.

2- Never worked or had any income in the US.

3- Have multiple medical problems including back issues.

4- Currntly living with my son at a side appartment in his property.

5- Getting overseas pension payment of $300 a month equivelant in other currency.

6- Currently have Medicaid and they sent me a letter to apply for Medicare to continue medical benefits.

Please assist by guidance what are my options - Appreciate all the help - God Bless

1st let's talk about Social Security -

1.  From what you have said, you will not get any benefit from Social Security based on your work record here.

2.  Unless you are married to or a widow of a spouse who is / was vested in the US Social Security program, then there might be a benefit.

3.  However IF you worked in your country of origin for a multinational company

( US based )AND that country has an agreement with the U.S., there could be a benefit from that source.

International Programs - U.S. International Social Security Agreements

Now let's discuss SSI or Supplemental Security Income -

1.  Maybe - here is a 2017 pamphlet from the SSA (Social Security Administration) since they are the government agency with oversite over SSI 

SSI for Non-Citizens

You and hopefully your son can go thru these couple of pages to see if anything applies to you.  There is also contact info where you can talk to someone about it or answer any questions for you.

Now, MEDICARE -

Since you have never work in this country, I don't believe you can get Medicare unless

1.  You are married or widowed from a spouse who is/ was vested in the U.S.Medicare program.

2.  Perhaps the form you have is talking about buying into the program, if you qualify for that - it is about $450 per month for Part A, then a monthly premium for Part B and Part D unless you could qualify for extra help after buying into Part A - that doesn't seem to be quite what you need based on your income.

3.  Since the same government agency CMS (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services) oversees both Medicare and Medicaid, maybe they are talking about re-certifying for Medicaid.  I am pretty sure that is done at the state level - so is the form from the state government where you reside or Federal government?  If there is a contact number, call and ask.

I am assuming that Medicaid is meeting your health needs because that seems to be what you qualify for based on the info given here. You are a legal immigrant, been here for at least 5-years and are low income - you are also an elderly person - that's for MEDICAID.

You might be able to buy a private health care insurance plan but that would be expensive.

A long shot would be to see if you, as your son's dependent, could be added to his health care policy - again, even if possible, expensive.

You might also contact your states Dept. of Aging to see if they have anything at the state level that could benefit you other than Medicaid.  Some benefits might be based on the household income rather than just your own - food stamps, home heating subsidy.

Some other information 

National Immigration Law Center - Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs update in 2015, it says.

(don't forget that your state could offer something too )

This is a commercial legal site but it gives some good info - just for some knowledge.

NOLO - What Public Benefits Can A Green Card Holder Receive?

I don't know your particular circumstances but becoming a citizen might have some other public benefits.

I am no expert but I have tried to give you some direction - I hope something I have said is beneficial to you and your circumstances.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi,

You likely at least have to apply for Medicare in order to maintain your Medicaid eligibility, even if you are denied Medicare coverage.  

Here are some other options to consider:

https://www.visitorscoverage.com/green-card-insurance/medicare-for-green-card/

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP