Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

SSI for a spouse survivor-when to file for SSI before death?

Contributor

SSI for a spouse survivor-when to file for SSI before death?

I am 64 but have not filed for SSI. My wife is also 64 but already filed for SSI when she was 63. My benefit will be significantly higher than hers. My question is does the benefit for her as a survivor, should I die first, be greater if I wait until 70 to file, or is it maxed out at my FRA of 67?  That is presuming I don't die until after the age of 70. And I realize she cannot receive both hers and mine. Thank you 

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

@TomH702452 

1st please allow me to correct your terminology cause it may get you into understanding trouble.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income - the program is administrated by the Social Security Administration because it is a Disability WELFARE program for the aged, blind and disabled who DO NOT have coverage or adequate coverage under the Social Security System.

The Social Security system is a contributory type of annuity that includes the various programs of:

• Old Age Retirement Benefits with an inclusionary program of Spousal Benefits’ - RIB (Retirement Insurance Benefits)
  • Social Security Disability Insurance - SSDI or DIB (Disability Insurance B Enefit)
  • Survivors Benefits 

So your question involves around SURVIVORS BENEFITS.

When a beneficiary dies, at that moment, their family maybe eligible for Survivors Benefits.

Survivors Benefits will be made up of ALL the benefits that the deceased was eligible for at the time of their passing.  That is to say, the whole Retirement benefit they were either getting when they died or were eligible for at that time - that includes any delayed retirement credits which a beneficiary would get if they delayed their retirement past their FRA (full retirement age) to age 70.  

So YES, if you delay your retirement benefit to at least FRA or even better to age 70, your wife would get a much higher Survivors Benefit - the longer you wait to file for retirement benefits,  the higher your benefit and in that regards, the higher the Survivors benefit.

She will be filing for Social Security Survivors benefits under your SS number - they will compare it to her own benefit which she is getting or is entitled to get and if the Survivors Benefit is larger she will get the larger amount although in SS bookkeeping part of the whole amount will be hers and part of the whole amount will be from your record to equal the total higher amount including any delayed retirement benefits credit which you have earned from your delay in filing for benefits to 70.

SSA. gov - 2024 - WhatYou Need To Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits 

Hope this helps as you plan together.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TomH702452 

1st please allow me to correct your terminology cause it may get you into understanding trouble.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income - the program is administrated by the Social Security Administration because it is a Disability WELFARE program for the aged, blind and disabled who DO NOT have coverage or adequate coverage under the Social Security System.

The Social Security system is a contributory type of annuity that includes the various programs of:

• Old Age Retirement Benefits with an inclusionary program of Spousal Benefits’ - RIB (Retirement Insurance Benefits)
  • Social Security Disability Insurance - SSDI or DIB (Disability Insurance B Enefit)
  • Survivors Benefits 

So your question involves around SURVIVORS BENEFITS.

When a beneficiary dies, at that moment, their family maybe eligible for Survivors Benefits.

Survivors Benefits will be made up of ALL the benefits that the deceased was eligible for at the time of their passing.  That is to say, the whole Retirement benefit they were either getting when they died or were eligible for at that time - that includes any delayed retirement credits which a beneficiary would get if they delayed their retirement past their FRA (full retirement age) to age 70.  

So YES, if you delay your retirement benefit to at least FRA or even better to age 70, your wife would get a much higher Survivors Benefit - the longer you wait to file for retirement benefits,  the higher your benefit and in that regards, the higher the Survivors benefit.

She will be filing for Social Security Survivors benefits under your SS number - they will compare it to her own benefit which she is getting or is entitled to get and if the Survivors Benefit is larger she will get the larger amount although in SS bookkeeping part of the whole amount will be hers and part of the whole amount will be from your record to equal the total higher amount including any delayed retirement benefits credit which you have earned from your delay in filing for benefits to 70.

SSA. gov - 2024 - WhatYou Need To Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits 

Hope this helps as you plan together.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you so much for your response, that clarifies some questions I had. And I appreciate the information on the terminology. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP