Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Secret shopper scam **update**

Message 1 of 12

**update**

Haven't contacted States attorney's office yet but contacted my bank...asked the teller and manager...their opinions...unfortunately, once it's in their possession AND it turns out to be a fake check...they confiscate it...they made copise for me but I was unable to keep the (fake) check.

They determined it was fake by comparing it to other checks from that same bank that they have on file and there were many many small differences, so many that even if I had just deposited without asking, it would have gotten flagged.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Secret shopper scam

Message 2 of 12

Thank you SO much for posting. I almost deposited the check and was going to do my secret shopping the next day. I decided to Google "Kroger secret shopper" after my email to my contact bounced. I also noticed some pretty poor English in my instructions. That set off a red flag. I'll see how to report this in my state.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Hello, Yocelin,

I'm sorry that you have been scammed.  First of all, contact your bank immediately.  Don't do any more bank transactions.  Close your account and open another.  To help you prove that this was a scam, contact your state attorney general's office and file a complaint.  They will send you a letter informing you that you have been a victim of a scam.  Hopefully this will be enough for your bank to not hold you responsible for charges resulting from this.  Best of luck!

Yvonne

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Because they say to email them as soon as you receive the check, then you must make your purchases within 48 hrs of cashing your check. When the bank checks the funds in the account (you just gave them a 2 day window to keep x amount of dollars in that account to clear the check, then out it comes and it bounces) but you JUST emailed them pics of the front and back of the gift card! When the check eventually bounces, the gift cards are empty as well as that bank account and you owe the bank x amount of dollars

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Hey I's going throught the same thing right now and I have made the first purshace and something is just not adding up with this "company' Krogers. What did you end up doing? Could you give any adivse on how to get out of this scam? 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

Thanks for posting this!

I received a txt from 4246250565 telling me a packaged was confirmed delivered to my address with my first assignment. 

Inside the USPS package was instructions and a check for 1900. 

Right away, I knew something just doesn’t seem right. I researched online on scams and sure enough, I was right!! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Yes the Kroger Mystery/Secret Shopper scam is back.  Since I shop at a Kroger store exclusively I didn't think much about the fact that I was asked by text message to do a secret shop. 

A couple of things made me pause and question the ligitamacy of the "job" after they sent a check and instructions for the shop; 1: The guy, Brian Bock, had a Gmail email address.  2: Couldn't get any answer on the phone number, got a Gmail voice mail(?). 3: Instructions said to go buy EBay gift cards as many as I could from ANY store that had them for sale.  I texted Brian and asked how this related to Kroger shopping.  His reply was "This is 100% legit" and they were doing this because of all the complaints they were getting from shoppers. !?! 

I was born in the morning BUT not this morning!  The whole thing just kept smelling more and more like a scam.  found a forum on the FTC website and verified my spidey senses were correct  Now I know they have my mailing address and my cell phone number and I didn't give them any of that information.  Scarier and scarier....

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

Hi, nuria5,

That's the whole point of the scam.  They send you a check in a ridiculous amount of money, then tell you to deposit it into your account and then keep a certain amount for yourself, after you buy gift cards to send to them.  The check is deposited...by the time it goes through all of the kit and kaboodle it takes to clear a deposited check, you have purchased the gift cards, sent them back, kept your portion of the money and all is done.  NO!  The check is bogus yet you have spent some of the money to get gift cards, then the bank comes after YOU to satisfy the bank charges AND the amount that THEY lost.  They cannot trace the check nor can they trace the address, etc. where the check came from.  That is how they scam you.  It is best to go through the store's actual website rather than rely on an email from nowhere telling you that you have been selected as a secret shopper!  Hope this answers your question.  Have a good day! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

If they sent you a check, then how could they have scammed you?  Is it because they check wouldn't have cleared but you were to buy the gift cards and send them to them before you would have known the check wouldn't clear?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@maeella9 - Had they sent a check for a much more reasonable amount, it wouldn't have been such a red flag, but asking you to buy anything to "qualify" is always a red flag!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!