Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Moving and Mover Broker Scam - beware!!!!

Contributor

Moving and Mover Broker Scam - beware!!!!

I started a complaint against a mover broker who scammed me out of $1600. The following is the report that I sent to the Better Business Bureau:

I reported the company, American Relocation and Storage, and the company refused to settle and I rejected their reasoning. 

The gentleman I spoke with, Steph, assured me that I was merely getting a quote and that I was not obligated to use American Relocation and Storage. I mention this because when I was asked to make a downpayment, I thought it was odd. Informed the representative that his was the very first quote I had sought and that I planned to shop around. I have not moved in 11 years and the previous move was a local move. Steph did not have a representative to send out to look at my possessions, he also merely made me list approximately what I wished to move. He did not ask me to conduct a video recording of the furniture and possessions in my apartment, so his quote was not based on a reasonable assessment of my property. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, I should suspect fraud if there is no agent to assess my belongings of if I am not asked to make a video record and send that to the moving broker. Unfortunately, I found this out only after I was scammed. Steph said that if I didn't make a deposit THAT day, I would not receive my quote, and I also found out that consumers should not have to pay for a quote up front, but only when they book the mover or mover broker. I was asked to pay 1/3 of the cost up front that day. Once again, I was uncomfortable doing that but was assured that I could get my full deposit back if I chose to go with another mover. There was no mention of a 48-hour deadline. If he had mentioned that during the phone call, I would NOT have sent a deposit. Once again, this was the first company I contacted. He also told me to ignore any other company that contacted me. I did receive many calls and emails once I began searching for a mover. Steph also informed me that I could make any changes to my move up to 7 days prior to the move.  He also told me that other movers would not give me an accurate quote and that if I did get other quotes, he would like to point out that the weight would probably not be accurate and that I would be charged for additional weight in the long run. This is odd, since he had no real idea of the weight of my possessions and that I would probably be charged extra by HIS company. Steph also said that if I did find another mover, he would like the opportunity to meet the competitor's quote by 10%. These were his persuasive tactics. During this phone call, I was naive enough to pay by echeck, giving the company access to my personal bank account. Once again, there was no mention of a 48-hour window to cancel the estimate and there was no mention during the phone call that I would be in danger of losing my deposit. I asked the question during the phone call and I was deceived into believing otherwise. I will admit that I didn't read the document that I was sent following the transaction, except for the list of my possessions. I noticed on the list that I failed to include several things and when I emailed Steph directly, he did not return my email. I have all of the correspondence from that day. I don't care what it says in the contract, I was told differently during the phone call and that’s BAD business as far as I am concerned. I was taken advantage of and I'm sure that this company has done the same thing to others. When I looked up the company on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website, I received a document that said that the company was not a member and should not be doing business as a mover or mover broker. I am adding that document to this complaint. I am also including the document with the list of possessions to be moved provided by American Relocation AND  the list of possessions provided by SHYFT, the moving broker company that I found using AARP. SHYFT had me video all of my possessions on a video phone call, I was asked to open drawers, cupboard doors and closet doors so that they could get an accurate assessment. The provided me with a free quote and once I decided on a mover with the type of insurance I wished to have, I was then only asked for a $250.00 deposit. Since that time, I have been in touch with the mover via email and on the phone. I wish I would have thought to start looking for a mover on AARP to begin with. 

Celeste Walker 

Shift is horrible.  They can me a whole pitch of how my things would be packed into a container and moved and unloaded at the new location. They also said they never use day labor and all workers are its W-2 employees.  Not the case.  The moves was brokered 3 times - the movers showed up in a rented Uhaul truck.  They broke many items.  THEY LOST THE IMPORZTANT BOX with all keys and important pieces of hardware.  They did not individually pack items such as glassware and they broke.  Dinining room table had a huge scratch.  They dropped the glass top to the dining room table and it went into thousands of pieces.  That is just the beginning. The people they sent to fix things were either incompetent or did not show.  Insurance claims -- their process is IMPOSSIBLE and they argue about everything.  I eventually gave up.  Many priceless family heirlooms were destroyed.  And a different U-Haul truck delivered all of my stuff with a 100% totally different team.  

where is this American Relocation and Storage

address and phone number

name of manager 

or person

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@celestewalker  This is very good information, and so sorry it happened to you! 

When considering an Interstate move, the best thing to do is review your rights and responsibilities prior to getting an estimate with any mover/broker.

You can find this information and guidelines here: FMCSA's Consumer Rights and Responsibilities. You can download the 'Rights and Responsibilities Handbook,' or the 'Ready to Move Brochure' at this website, as well.

FMCSA’s regulations protect consumers who are moving to a different state and provide information on the rights and responsibilities of consumers and the movers and brokers they hire.

Thank you!  🙂

Contributor

Yes, I learned the hard way! I should have gone through AARP in the first place. BUT, I THOUGHT I was only getting quotes. Instead, I was bamboozeled. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Never!! Ever use a moving company that you have not completed a thorough investigation into first! And do not take AARP endorsement of any either! We got Robbed and Extorted. Our life is ruined.😡 

Trusted Social Butterfly

(3/25/24) @brattenspoiled1 , how were you robbed and extorted? Was the company "endorsed" by AARP? And yes, I agree - AARP endorsements are about AARP getting paid $$$ and NOT about their members!!!  👵

[*** @brattenspoiled1 wrote:

Never!! Ever use a moving company that you have not completed a thorough investigation into first! And do not take AARP endorsement of any either! We got Robbed and Extorted. Our life is ruined.😡 ***]

0 Kudos
Contributor

A. AARP recommended the company- Fargo Van Lines .. later to fine out aka Absolute moving - ran by known crook Kosta Lak.. several complaints, several locations identified via deep dive by Fl Attory general ifc , last police report was an address of a bank/ medical office in lighthouse point Fl.

1. The were scheduled to arrive 2 days prior to sale of our home.

we called on Friday to confirm & got yelled at , told drivers would call or  24-48 hours prior. They did not (as the Friday call we made was it) the half baked truck showed up 8-9hours late on Tuesday half full already and spent another 3 hrs renegotiating rates. Therefore now we were to be done on Tuesday evening; ran over to Wednesday & resulting in the loss of sale on house & they took off with our stuff.

next we were Ghosted for 30days kept trying to reach out - they (summer) screaming at up we owed them 6,000 more in storage, which contract stated 30days free - we asked for our items returned and got ghosted again.. it goes on and on - FMCSA complaint filed, police reports filed x2.. still we are ghosted, no arbitration as requested.  I’m dropping aarp as a suit and criminal case is pending.

Contributor

Shyft brokered our move from Md to Ga. Then disappeared after we paid $10k to them. AARP customer service hung up on my husband when he contacted AARP about the situation. Our household goods have been in storage since October. Now we hope the movers will be delivering our goods in February and they haven’t gotten paid by Shyft one dime!

0 Kudos

my Country is not nice and safe for himans anymore. Years ago we would give a helping hand to our brothers in need…‼️‼️‼️

Any marines out there wanna wade in 

Marine or good serviceman or woman who has a father or mother NOT WANTING victims not have a WORD in their stead.

Are ther not people out there that have a BURNING desire to help AMERICA be

a GOOD PLACE again… 

thieves should be reminded of their ACTIONS.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP