Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is this fraud? Hernandez settlement administrator

Is this fraud? Hernandez settlement administrator

Hernandez settlement administrator I received a post card stating to fill out claim form online at www.bankruptcydischargesettlement.com the link then looks fishy. it said chrome secured but the end of the web address had "https://secure.jndla.com/forms/whe "

Retired Community Manager

Hello and thank you to everyone who's interested in this topic. I'm looking into this and will post a reply with more information.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience while we checked this out. "Hernandez" appears to be a legitimate (closed) class action.

We suggest that you deposit the check but don’t immediately rely on money from the check. By law, banks have to make deposited funds available quickly, usually within two days. When the funds are made available in your account, the bank may say the check has “cleared,” but that doesn’t mean it’s a good check. Fake checks can take weeks to be discovered and untangled. By that time, a fake check scammer has any money you sent, and you’re stuck paying the money back to the bank.

As a reminder: never use money from a check to send gift cards, money orders, or wire money to strangers or someone you just met. Many scammers demand that you send money through money transfer services like Western Union or MoneyGram, or buy gift cards and send them the PIN numbers. Once you wire money, or give someone the gift card PINs, it is like giving someone cash. It’s almost impossible to get it back.

Contributor

This is a legal site. I got my check from them last week.www.bankruptcydischargesettlement.com/contact

Contributor

I received a check, for $20 yesterday, but a very strange check, is attached to a small card and has no space to endorse it, but the check has a number and very clear says it should be cashed before March /21, I do not know what to do maybe call the number that says if in doubt, but if it is for sure a legal settlement

I also got that little post card check and on other side it has spot for stamping thing it was connected to and spot for your address so I didn’t know what to do I put my address and stamp on it sent that piece back but what abt check looking thing what to do with I it’s is it real or will one come I. Mail maybe checking if people moved or sumthing to know where o send real check to. UT idk did u find out anything new abt it ??

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just received a letter from Hernandez Settlement Administrator. They want my email address. Sounds a bit fishy to me. Especially since the responses before me are dated back in 2017. The letter is dated 12/21/20, 3 years later.  

NO!. I just spoke with the lawfirm in San Francisco that initiated the law suit as I could not information from the so called "FAQ" I paralegal said the suit if for people that sign on to the original suit which was for individuals that filed for bankruptcy, but the credit reports continued to show, they owed money to creditors. The original amount suit was appealed by the Transunion etc. which opened the door for people that did not sign onto the original classaction suit.

Dear AARP:

My name is Janice Hutton and submitted information to Hernandez sttlement administrators. I have not heard anything from them  since I send them my whole profile.

I went on site and it didnt look right therefore I did not apply. I threw the card away.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I also received this postcard, and it's a old scam that they are running again.  Here's the link on Ripoff Report:

Ripoff Report | Experian Information Solutions LLC Complaint Review ...

Jul 10, 2011 - You also may email BankruptcyDischargeSettlement@gardencitygroup.com, call 1 (866) 237-3432, or write to White, et al. v. Experian ...

I just received the same thing in the mail today. Although I have not responded to it yet, I find it strange that they need any additional info from me, as usually in these cases where one receives a notice of a class action settlement, it is usually stated that no further action is required UNLESS you want to opt out. The front of the card I got says "A federal court authorized this notice". Of course it could be totally bogus. I have not gone to the actual website yet, but if I do and they seem to request an inordinate amount of personal info, I will consider it bogus and report it thusly.

0 Kudos

I received also The postcards..
Am I to understand we are not to reply unless opt.out.

I won't give SSN..or DOB.
I'm recently diagnosed with Myeloma
And on Radiation and Chemotherapy
And need advice on how to respond..correctly to post card.

Emotional Roller Coaster

0 Kudos

I got the postcard in the mail today. Do not give them your date of birth and social security number whatever you do. They do not need this.I received postcards for class action lawsuits before and have never had to give out my SSN or DOB.

All the other postcards said I didnt have to do anything unless I wanted to opt out. This look very fishy to me.

Social Butterfly

Contact the office of the Attorney General of your state and ask them.

0 Kudos

After reading this advice to contact a state attorney general, I contacted the State of WI Consumer Protection Division. 

I was advised that this site appeared to them to be legitimate, and it perhaps required info such as social security number and DOB to verify that you qualify to be in the class for the settlement. 

They advised caution and were not able to say this is absolutely, positively, legit -- but because the settlement and lawsuit are REAL, if you wish to be included in the class, you must either contact the settlement administrator or use the form online before the deadline.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP