Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Consumer Cellular hidden fees

Did you notice the "operational  compliance fee" increased 75% on your recent Consumer Cellular bill.  There was no notice or substantiation.  No wonder they provide an AARP discount since they just make it up in this bogus fee.

Contributor

Let's not forget who steered us all to Consumer Celluar to begin with.

Contributor

I guess I forgot. Who are you referring to as who steered us to Consumer Cellular?

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARPโ€™s 5% discount and promotionsโ€ฆ

Contributor

Consumer Cellular has over 4 million customers.  The OCF on my last bill was $7.11.  That means they collect over $28,000,000 to fund their Compliance Department.  Must have a HUGE Compliance Department.  Where is government oversight on these types of fees?

Mine has gone up now to $9.36 as of November 1. Every 2-3 months it goes up another $2 or so. They say it's a Federal fee and they have no control. The Federal USF (whatever that is) rate has gone up as well. They say since it's a federal increase I should speak to the government about why there is no notice. They're not offering any new or increased promotions to offeset these increases. For a company marketing itself to seniors, you'd think they'd do a better job in trying to keep our business. 

Contributor

This is a "made up" charge.  They say that it is to cover the costs of complying with the government requirements, whatever those might be.  The government doesn't charge Consumer Cellular the fees that they are passing along to the customers.

Contributor

And by increasing the Operational Compliance Fee, it actually increases multiple other fees and taxes which are based on the overall bill, as well!

Periodic Contributor

They've done it again: increased the OCF with no notification or justification.  Last year they told me the increase was the first in years and so they didn't expect another increase any time soon.  Liars and scoundrels!

Contributor

I am looking at my latest CC bill. I see 2 different areas for fees. Surcharges & Other Charges for $12.32 and the second area, Government Taxes & Fees for $12.65. So $24.97 for the monthly bill. That is about a quarter of my bill. I think it is time to start looking for a new provider.

I'm so over CC.  My mom's phone didn't work for six months.  I kept calling them and they told me a variety of things each time.  The interent in the area went down, then the next one told me we had great internet connection.  The volumne was too low then the next one told me that they keep it at 85% but they could increase it to 100%.  (She has almost lost all of her hearing and doesnt want to wear a hearing aide.)  Then she couldn't dial out to her contacts but there was nothing they could do.  Then the next one told me that they were upgrading the teleopones and that's why the lack of service.  I constantly asked for a refund since the whole reason I bought this device was for her to have communications with the family.  She's 100 years old for God's sake.  They told me no because they were able to see that she was able to make a  call every once in a while even if she couldn't hear anyone.  Then I asked them if they had new phones as I was tired of dealing with them,  They said yes but it would be a refurbished one!  Now how can that be if they upgraded to a new (maybe 5g) and she's getting a refurbished, almost new, phone!  I told the agent I wanted a new phone, and they said no!  So we were supposed to get the new one in 3 days but I had to make the request through their insurance company which I did. Two weeks went by and no working phone.  I called again. Oops, someone forgot to put in the order!  Another week and no refund or discount on the weeks of service that she was without a phone.  Sounds like I should be complaining to the AIG or the BBB. I'm so disappointed with their service, it is incredible.  

Contributor

Yes, I see in every aspect of life this happens, a store will have a great sale, after raising their prices...the entire system is rigged.

Periodic Contributor

The world around us is now designed to sell, sell, sell at every turn.  Making more profit - an increasing bottom line - is what drives the competition.  Maybe we should curtail our consumerism?!?!

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP